It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2003, 11:11 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

purple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB User
Question rash under my breasts

Now that the weather is getting warmer and I am sweating a lot, I am getting some sort of rash or irritation under my breasts. My breasts are a size 38D, and I do not wear an underwire. (never had a reason to... I get good support from bras with strong elastic.)

Anyway, the irritation that I am getting is basically one large, red, puffy round spot under each breast. They almost look like blisters, and if I scratch or squeeze that area, I can "pop" the blister, if that is what it is. Sometimes clear fluid comes out and then the skin dries up and peels off. The spots are very itchy and they feel raw. I have been getting this for the past few summers (or basically any time I sweat). But right now it is really bad. I showed it to the nurse practicioner at my drs office once and she said it is a fungus, kinda like athlete's foot. Fungus likes to grow in warm, damp places, and underneath one's breasts is the perfect spot for it to grow, especially during the summer when we sweat! So she gave me prescription Nizoral cream, and it worked. But as soon as I stopped using it, it came back (because it was still summer and I was still sweating.)

I will be seeing my dr on July 7 for something unrelated, but I am definitely going to show this to him. But what can I do in the meantime? Of course I shower every night and wash that area well. The only thing I can think of is to put non-stick gauze pads under my breasts during the day so that one, my sweat gets absorbed, and two, my breasts don't touch my chest and chafe. I am also going to start using some powder.

But is there anything else I can do? Once this gets cleared up, how can I prevent it from coming back? I've already got skin discoloration under my breasts from the last time I had it (the discoloration is in the exact shape of the rash).

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Elyse
http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2003, 04:57 AM   #2
(female)

ILuvPurple HB User
Hi. My mom gets this during the summer also. Her doctor told her to use an over the counter cream for yeast infection.She also uses the gauze pads to absorb moisture. This seems to be working for her. Good luck! P.S.....Also an excellant powder is Ammons medicated powder, it is great for irritated skin.

[This message has been edited by ILuvPurple (edited 06-29-2003).]

Old 06-29-2003, 07:42 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Talking

I love purple too.

The OTC yeast infection cream is a good idea. I'm thinking that I'll ask my pharmacist which one would be good. Now that you mention it, they also make OTC anti-fungal creams like Lotrimin AF.

Just this morning I started using Johnson's Medicated Baby Powder. It's what we had in the house. We'll see if it helps. If not I'll try the Ammons Medicated Powder. I also started using the gauze pads. The most important thing is to keep the area free from moisture. Someone told me not to burst it, because that can cause infection. It's just very annoying.

I'm going to go to Walgreens right now and get some sort of cream. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll still show it to my dr next week, and if he wants to give me something else then he can.

Old 06-30-2003, 08:55 AM   #4
Inactive

mlgable HB User
Yes this is a yeast infections. You will need to get some vaginal yeast cream or athletes foot cream since the two are the same. Wash and dry the area well and apply the cream and then apply a washcloth or gauze sqaures when not wearing a bra to keep skin away from skin. You should also make sure to eat plenty of yogurt with live active cultures to help control the yeast.

Old 06-30-2003, 01:25 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Talking

Unfortunately I'm lactose intolerant, and even when I take Lactaid I get a stomachache from yogurt. But I do have acidophilus with live cultures, so I am going to start taking that.

I wasn't sure what cream to buy, because my skin gets very irritated and I'm allergic to a lot of things. I asked the pharmacist and she told me not to use anything until I see my doctor. In the past he gave me prescription Nizoral cream, so he will probably want me to use that again. So I think I will wait until I see my dr on July 7th and in the meantime I will continue to use the powder and the gauze pads, and wash the area well in the shower.

Old 06-30-2003, 11:47 PM   #6
Inactive

mlgable HB User
Do not use powder as this will cake and cause more moisture to be trapped and make the yeast infection worse. You really should just call the clinic and have the doc see you tomorrow and get the prescription ointment for it. The longer you let it go the worse it will get and it may spread etc.

Old 07-01-2003, 07:02 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
You can apply olive oil onto the affected area as it has anti fungal qualities.

Old 07-01-2003, 01:10 PM   #8

Shaman HB User
If you have a hairdryer with a cool setting, I would suggest using it to dry the area after your shower and when you get home etc. rather than a towel. I find that the dryer does a better job then a towel and because I am not rubbing, it does not promote it spreading.

Women always think they want big boobs. I say HA! be careful what you wish for!

Old 07-01-2003, 02:39 PM   #9
(female)

ILuvPurple HB User
I agree with Shaman about the big boobs.... oh how I would like to be a 34B!hehe....

Old 07-01-2003, 03:55 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Talking

My mom was at the drs office today and she told them that I am having this problem again and they were supposed to give her a prescription for the cream for me, but they forgot so I am waiting for them to call it in to the pharmacy. They haven't done it yet, so I decided to call the pharmacy and have them call the dr. It's not a clinic, just a private doctor's office, so they can't always get me an appointment right away (but since they have seen me with this before, they are just going to give me the prescription.) So far it is going away with the powder and the gauze pads, but I really do want the anti-fungal cream.

Yes, big boobs are nice but they are not always fun.

Old 07-01-2003, 03:57 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oh, and the ideas about the hair dryer and the olive oil are really good. I never thought of either of those. I'll try that tonight after my shower.

Closed Thread