It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

Side Effects from taking extra calcium?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-08-2003, 04:26 AM   #1
Shel1974
Inactive

Shel1974 HB User
Post Side Effects from taking extra calcium?

About 2 years ago I started taking Caltrate 600 plus for irritable bowel. I was having bad diarhea after eating (all the time for 7 years!) and someone on the IBS board suggested I take that. Boy has that been a life saver!!!!! Anyway, so I take my multi-vitamin in the morning that has calcium in it, plus a caltrate pill, plus I take a caltrate at night after dinner. If we go out to dinner I usually take an extra one, just because eating out upsets my stomach. Is this too much calcium? I don't want to cut down because I am afraid the IBS will return. Are there any side effects from taking too much calcium?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2003, 04:55 AM   #2
jessilynn68
Veteran

jessilynn68 HB User
Hi there -

Thanks so much for your post. I was on lupron, a drug that stops the production of estrogen. I had to take about 1200 mgs of calcium a day. Once I stopped that, I began the diarrhea. I never linked the two until your post. I will start on the calcium again today. Thanks!

The only side effects I know of too much calcium is that its hard to absorb, and can cause major indigestion. My doc told me 1200 is recommended for someone who is not producing estrogen, and that caused some stomach upset, but that's ok. I can handle that more than the diarrhea.

I doubt that helped a lot, as I think you were looking for more long term effects, but if it helps, you totally helped me!

Old 07-08-2003, 05:56 AM   #3
Shel1974
Inactive

Shel1974 HB User
Jessilynn,

I am so glad I helped you!! I suffered with the diarhea (I can never spell that word) for 7 long horrible years. I could never pinpoint down to one or few foods, but all foods at one time or another did it to me. The calcium has really been a life saver. Now I only get a bout of the D about 3 or 4 times a year. A couple months ago I ate at KFC, OMG, I had the worst case, couldn't even make it home, that reminded me how important the calcium really is for my stomach.

Yes I am looking as to any long term side effects from too much calcium. Hoping there aren't any!!

Good luck to YOU!!

Old 07-08-2003, 06:11 AM   #4
jeepbabe
Veteran

jeepbabe HB User
How many miligrams are you taking. Because you can take two or more of the pills a day if it is a really low dosage. So what is the dosage on what you usually take? Then that should determine. I would also suggest you talk to your pharmacist. They are very noligable about these things. You don't even have to go to the store. Just call them and ask. They should be happy to answer. Good luck! Oh yeah maybe try and post this in the vitamins forum, they are really good about it there too!

------------------
~I have gone to look for myself. If you find me before I get back, tell me to stay here so I don't lose myself again!~

Old 07-08-2003, 08:29 AM   #5
jessilynn68
Veteran

jessilynn68 HB User
OK did a little research. Women before menopause should get about 1000 mg a day. Women after menopause or women who have had a hysterectomy should have 1200 to 1600. Not a lot of info about too much, but a few sites said that the absolute upper max is 2500 per day. Too much can lead to kidney stones and heart disease, but apparently that is debatable too. Isn't this fun? Maybe, and could, and might, or might not. Anyway - does that help?

Old 07-08-2003, 09:27 AM   #6
Shel1974
Inactive

Shel1974 HB User
Yes that does help, thanks. I think I generally stay below 2500. I think my multi-vitamin has 500 in it and I take one of those, and I believe my caltrate 600 plus has 600 in it and I take 2, so that equals out to be 1700. Kidney stones is what made me worry about side effects, since my Dad gets them every few years.

Thanks so much, I should have just done a search myself, but darn dial up at home is so slow!!

Old 07-08-2003, 10:01 AM   #7
jessilynn68
Veteran

jessilynn68 HB User
Are you menopausal? Make sure you aren't getting any in food, or much in food before taking all that.

Thanks for this post again. I have hope now. I have been thru every nasty test there is, with no answers. I hope this works. Thanks again!

Old 07-08-2003, 11:08 AM   #8
Shel1974
Inactive

Shel1974 HB User
Well I'm 28, almost 29, so I don't think I'm menopausal I am just too afraid to cut down on the pills, afraid I'll have another bout of the dreadful 'D'. Maybe I'll cut down to just my multi-vitamin and one caltrate 600 plus a day and see how that goes, and take a 2nd pill if we go out to eat. Usually I panic when I go out to eat and end up taking an Immodium AD. I hate doing that. I messes me up for like a week.

I really hope this works for you!!!

Old 07-08-2003, 12:20 PM   #9
jessilynn68
Veteran

jessilynn68 HB User
I have a love-hate relationship with Immodium. I love that I don't have the d (I can never spell that word either) but I hate that I can't go for a week after. I started the extra calcium today, and we'll see.

Thanks again for the help.

Old 07-08-2003, 02:21 PM   #10
dea4
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User
Are any of you taking magnesium? with that amount of calcium you really need to be taking magnesium also. Calcium and magnesium should be taken in equal ratios.
Too much calcium without magnesium may lead to migrains, cateracts, hypertention, kidney stones, calcified arteries and heart valves and sudden death heart attack, so be sure you get magnesium as well.
The best most absorbable magnesium is magnesium citrate.

Old 07-08-2003, 04:02 PM   #11
Shel1974
Inactive

Shel1974 HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by dea4:
Are any of you taking magnesium? with that amount of calcium you really need to be taking magnesium also. Calcium and magnesium should be taken in equal ratios.
Too much calcium without magnesium may lead to migrains, cateracts, hypertention, kidney stones, calcified arteries and heart valves and sudden death heart attack, so be sure you get magnesium as well.
The best most absorbable magnesium is magnesium citrate.

Well that was a scary post!! I am home now and I have my bottles in front of me.

Multi-vitamin (I take once a day)

450 mg calcium
50 mg magnesium

Caltrate 600 plus (I take 2x a day)

600 mg calcium
40 mg magnesium

so this means daily I take in 1650 mg of calcium and only 90 mg of magnesium, so this means I should buy some magnesium citrate and take about 1560 mg of this daily?

Thanks

Old 07-08-2003, 05:17 PM   #12
dea4
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User
Shel,
Sorry it was so scary but not many women know the dangers of not enough magnesium and the effects it can have.
You are getting a lot of calcium and not near enough magnesium. However, if you have any type of kidney damage, do not take magnesium. Magnesium can prevent kidney damge but can be harmful if damage has already occured.

Magnesium is also a bone strengthener, we always hear to take more calcium but they fail to tell us that we need the magnesium as well, magnesium is nature's calcium blocker, that doesn't mean that it causes calcium to not work, that means it blocks it from doing your body harm, like calcification which can happen if you have too much calcium and not enough magnesium.

Also I have read that most multivitamins have calcium carbonate in them, calcium carbonate neutralizes gastric acid and most of it is excreted undissolved, the best calcium is calcium citrate, it is absorbed regardless of the availability of digestive juice and minimizess the formation of kidney stones.

Yes, you need more magnesium, start out slowly, the side effect of too much magnesium is diarrhea. Be sure to watch foods you eat, you may be getting more calcium and magnesium in the foods you eat daily so you may not need to suppliment very much.

I have noticed that after starting taking a magnesium suppliment I don't tend to get headaches like I used to, low magnesium levels can cause headaches too.

Hope this helps you.

Old 07-09-2003, 04:48 AM   #13
jessilynn68
Veteran

jessilynn68 HB User
Dea -

Can't speak for Shel, but that sure helped me. I was told to take calcium as I was on a drug that stopped estrogen production, and no one ever told me to take magnesium. I will take that, too. And thanks for the warning about the side effect of diarrhea. I will start slow.

Closed Thread