It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

Could my mom have arthritis?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-14-2003, 03:27 AM   #1
koden

koden HB User
Question Could my mom have arthritis?

My mom is 42 y/o & she's been complaing about joint stiffnes, aches & pains, difficulty getting out of bed in the morning, not much energy, etc. for months now.
I think she has a low immune system since she gets sick very easily when she's around little kids, & she needs to go to a doc but we never have the money.
I found a good multi-vitamin I want her & me, my bro & dad to take, but again, it's the money issue, there's rarely anything left over for extras.
But back on topic, do you guys think that my mom might have arthritis or maybe just joint problems?
Thanks for reading

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2003, 04:12 AM   #2
jessilynn68
Veteran

jessilynn68 HB User
Hi there -

There are many things your mom could have. It could very well be arthritis, or fibromyalgia, or lupus, or a bout with a virus. It could be many things.

You say you never have the money. Would you qualify for medicaid? Tell her to go to the health dept, or find a low cost clinic that has a sliding-fee scale. They can help with the medicaid stuff, too. Good luck.

Old 07-15-2003, 05:53 PM   #3
koden

koden HB User
Question

I asked my mom if we can get Medicaid, but she said we make just a couple hundred dollars too much to qualify.
That is really pathetic.

Same thing for any other insurance, but she does go to a low-cost clinic but she doesn't want to go there anymore, b/c she said she doesn't like the doctor.
I don't think that's a good reason though & she'll only get worse if she doesn't get help.

She gets sick easy but I don't think she has a virus, but when I asked how her joints feel, she said it's so hard for her to get up in the morning, there's a warmth/redness on her joints, it's hard for her to walk sometimes & she's always stiff & sore.
I know she has something but I don't know what.
I'm still trying to get her to go to the doc & quit being so stubborn.
see ya = )

Old 07-15-2003, 08:15 PM   #4
mlgable
Inactive

mlgable HB User
If her joints are red and swollen it could very well be arthritis. Since this is getting progressivly worse she needs to see a doc. Call the local clinic and explain the money situation to them and ask if they have sliding scale fees. In the meantime you should encourage your mother to take prescription strength amounts of either aspirin, ibuprofen or naproxen to see if this helps. Also since her immune system is run down a good multivitamin and a good anitoxidant supplement is a must. Look at it this way.........she is not going to make more money by being sick all the time nor by letting her possible arthritis go unchecked. Lets face it if she is sick all the time or eventually can't work much due to the painfullness of whatever she has so she needs to think of going to the doc as an investment in her ability to keep working.

Old 07-16-2003, 06:45 PM   #5
koden

koden HB User
Question

I don't think her joints are swollen, but the obvious redness, I think so.
My mom might be getting a work-at-home job, & if so, she'll be able to go to a doc & also get a good multivitamin/antioxidant formula, so we can all take it.

If she's not already taking some pain relievers like you mentioned, I'll tell her about them, & see what she does.
I keep telling her to go to a doc but she's always like "We don't have the money right now" or "I'm fine, I'll be ok", etc.
Going to a doc is not that expensive, but she's a hardhead & you'd think she'd want to go, if she's in pain like she is.
Anyway, I hope she gets that job..

Closed Thread