It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

period questions

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-19-2003, 08:18 AM   #1
2ManyQuestions

2ManyQuestions HB User
Question period questions

i'm 15 and have had my period regular for about a year and a half.. okay i have 2 questions.. first i bled really really heavy, i mean i have to wear overnite pads during the day just so i dont bleed through, and i have to change them like every 3-4 hours.. sometimes even 2.. is that too much to bleed?? okay and my other question is that i sometimes have like clumps of blood in my pad and when i use the bathroom.. is there anything wrong with that or is it normal? please help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2003, 08:37 AM   #2
jessilynn68
Veteran

jessilynn68 HB User
Hi there -

First - many women experience heavier bleeding when they first start their periods, or in their teens. Some outgrow this, others don't. When I was a teen, I went through pads like you are, and the doctor said it was normal, and offered to put me on the pill so I wouldn't have to deal with it. My mom said no cause she thought it would give me a "license to have sex." She regrets that today, after seeing me struggle for so many years.

What you are seeing on the pad is blood clots, and normal also. Some women also outgrow this, others don't.

One thing to keep in mind is to make sure you are getting enough iron in your diet, or take a supplement. And you might want to talk to a doctor about this, just to make sure everything is ok. And if you have been sexually active, you should get a pap smear. If you are worried about your mother finding out, go to a planned parenthood or family planning clinic. But I encourage you to talk to your mother. Lots of period "problems" are inherited, and chances are, she went through the same thing as a teen.

Good luck.

Closed Thread