It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2003, 05:05 PM   #1
(female)

USAFMOM HB User
Post Possible consequence of having uterus removed?

Hello ladies! I posted this question on the osteoporosis board, and I am also bouncing it off of you folks too. I'm 41 with newly diagnosed osteopenia, (a precurser to osteoporosis). I am premenopausal and so never thought I would have to be concerned about this, at least until menopause. I've heard so much about menopause and osteoporosis since the ovaries produce estrogen, and the shut down of this severely effects bone loss. I had my uterus out at age 29 and still have my ovaries. I have read a lot about progesterone cream helping to build bone. I have also read though sometime in the past, I believe in an article about alternatives to having the uterus removed for fibroids, that the uterus produces progesterone. That got me wondering if this could be a likely cause of my early bone loss?? Does anybody know any facts about the importance of the uterus other than the obvious, it being the womb? Thanks!

Old 07-27-2003, 06:15 PM   #2
Veteran

jessilynn68 HB User
Hi there -

I haven't heard anything about the uterus and bone loss. There are some contributing factors that make a woman at risk for osteoporosis - smoking, high caffeine intake, women of small build, caucasion and asian women, (I think that is right), and women in menopause, or those who have had their ovaries removed. I think its lack of estrogen that contributes, not progesterine. Have you taken any calcium supplements over the years? You might want to ask your doctor about this question - he/she will be able to answer your questions knowing how far you have progressed, etc. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2003, 08:11 AM   #3
Inactive

mlgable HB User
I too have osteopenia but from talking with others that are in the field of GYN the preferred course of therapy is to continue with the calacium therapy and then repeat the bone density scan in 5 years. I doubt that having your uterus removed part of the cause but your best bet is to bring that question up to your doc since each case is individual and your doc may know something about your case that he never told you or that you missed when he did tell you.

Old 07-28-2003, 10:02 PM   #4

fachina1 HB User
Exclamation

As far as I know there is no connection between the uterus and bone loss. Osteopenia is the pre-syndrome of osteoperosis and can be stopped. the key is to stop losing bone and hopefully build more bone. this is done through weight bearing exercises, and a good diet, no soda or caffeine. Leafy greens high in minerals and a calcium supplement a good form of calcium is calcium citrate with magnesium, boron, and vit D. Also would be nutrient dense soups cooked with the bones ex: lamb stew or even good old chicken soup. Natural progesterone cream does stimulate osteoblasts to promote bone formation, I would consider using last 2 weeks of the month since you are premenopausal however, nothing takes the place of the exercise. Enjoy

Old 07-29-2003, 05:10 AM   #5
(female)

USAFMOM HB User
Thanks to all for the great info!

Closed Thread