It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2003, 08:28 AM   #1

sassymomof2 HB User
Post Question

HI , im new to this board and i have a question, I had a total hysterectomy 3 yrs ago and i think i have some kind of infection . we were on vacation and just got back we spent 12 days on the lake , My hubby said he notices a fishy smell down there and i dont know what it is, I have had yeast infection before but never anything like this, Does anyone know what this could be,and is there anything i can do over the counter, or do i need to go to dr? The thing that worries me is i have had more pain around my insicion site , I have had to have laproscopic surgery due to scar tissue , So i dont know if it has to do with that or not. I hope i dont sound to stupid about this , just was wondering, I would appreciate any feed back , Thanks alot Sassy

I have had 5 surgeries on abdomen in 3 yrs 3 major and 2 laposcopic,

Old 07-30-2003, 06:49 PM   #2

~Tona~ HB User
The only thing I've ever heard of in regards to it smelling fishy "down there" is Bacterial Vaginosis. For that, you need to see your doctor so he/she can treat you. There is nothing OTC for that.

------------------
~Tona~

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2003, 06:58 PM   #3

rubydolphin79 HB User
I agree with Tonia. The "fishy smell" in an indication that you have Bacterial Vaginosis, you will have to see your doc, and he/she will prescribe you some medication to clear up the infection.

Old 07-30-2003, 08:19 PM   #4
(female)

fanofopera HB User
I know you will get a laugh out of this and it is embarrasing for me to post but what the hay... I get a fishy or shrimp smell down there after eating a lot of seafood. Especially shrimp. I don't know why but I have noticed that. So has my husband. You said you were on vacation did you eat seafood?

Old 07-31-2003, 05:04 AM   #5
Veteran

jessilynn68 HB User
Hi there -

I live in Maine, and am lucky enough to get fresh seafood a lot. I haven't ever noticed a fishy smell, but it is said what a man eats can affect the way his semen smells/tastes, so why not a woman?

I would still go to a doc and get it checked out. Won't hurt a thing, and at best you are told its nothing - worst case is you have some kind of infection, and he will give you something to cure it.

Good luck.

Old 07-31-2003, 07:50 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

PaNik5717 HB User
Thumbs up

I live in the desert, so I don't get much seafood. I just wanted to thank everyone for being so candid. It's nice to be able to laugh about the things that cause all of us so much stress. Especially, when we find out that we are not alone at all.

Old 07-31-2003, 08:42 AM   #7
Inactive

mlgable HB User
Yep as already stated see the doc as left untreated some infections can lead to Pelvic Inflammatory disease. Any unusual odor or discharge should be checked out by the doc for safety sake.

Old 07-31-2003, 11:32 AM   #8

princess19781027 HB User
I would go to the doctor and have a few test run. It is more then likely bacterial vaginosis. This is a common problem caused by bacteria from bowels. It can be caused from anything as simple as wiping incorrectly after having a BM. IT is very easy to treat with a simple perscription from the doctor. It does need to be treated though, so I would go and get it checked out.

Old 07-31-2003, 01:24 PM   #9

sassymomof2 HB User
HI, thanks for your replys, I am going to dr tommorow , i was thinking thats what it had to be, But know you bring up the seafood, we ate that pratically everynight, Oh lordy, Im still going to make sure, (laughing) , have a great day everyone , and tc .

sassy

Old 07-31-2003, 03:26 PM   #10
Veteran

jessilynn68 HB User
Heya Sassy -

Good luck tomorrow, and be sure and let us know.

Old 08-01-2003, 08:35 AM   #11
Senior Veteran

PaNik5717 HB User
Hey Princess:

This is still a pretty icky topic and I have an icky question. Is this something a doc could diagnose if you didn't complain about it? While he's poking aroudn down there is it something he would notice? I know you mentioned tests, so I am guessing the answer is no. I get a little fishy smelling down there when I am sweaty or wearing pants, but it washes away.

Closed Thread