It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2003, 05:51 PM   #1
(female)

Sehsun HB User
Question Secondary amenorrhea

This is when a woman who has had normal periods stops getting them. I have not had a period since December 2002, and that's when I went off of birth control. I do not want to see the gynecologist, even though people tell me I should, to get my period started again. Does anyone else have this, or have you had it? And when did you start having normal cycles again?

------------------
"If we don't change, we don't grow. If we don't grow, we aren't really living."
-Gail Sheehy

Old 08-01-2003, 06:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Dianek HB User
I had this and went to my doctor after about two months of missing a period and knowing I wasn't pregnant.

He had me go for a blood test to rule out pregnancy, and to test my hormone levels. I came back a week later; was told I had a progesterone deficiency and he gave me a shot of progesterone in each lower hip/buttock and it brought on my period about five days later.

I began taking progesterone tablets on day 12 of my cycle and it straightened me out. Only used it for a few months and never needed the shots or hormone again.

Best to see your doctor, I know you don't want to; actually, nobody looks forward to that, but it's in your best interest.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2003, 08:14 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

bluesnowflake HB User
I had this for years, since about age 15. I am now 22 and having regular periods since last september. After seeing countless doctors, and being told it will fix with age, to lose weight and it will come back, (I am overweight, but not that overweight), and not to worry about it because I wasn't about to have kids anytime soon...Finally I went to a gyno, since regular doctors didn't seem to care. This guy was angry that no one had been concerned about it...and he immediately sent for ultrasounds (I have had about ten altogether before this guy) and bloodtests. He said the funniest thing- when I think about it now..."what did they want, to hand you an envelope with cancer in it? Thats whats going to happen if they don't fix this". That made him my favourite doctor- and he also fixed many other medical problems I had been having. So I went on progestin for ten days- provera- a female hormone. I started BCP's right after that, and had my first period since age 15. It was so exciting! (and PAINFUL!!!) Anyway, I would go to a gyno, not to your reg doctor. I find them to be mroe helpful. Good luck!! And research stuff yourself, but DON'T look into things too seriously until you have confirmed it with a professional.

Old 08-02-2003, 03:19 PM   #4
(female)

Sehsun HB User
Thumbs up

Dianek & bluesnowflake - Thank you very much for your replies. I will think about this some more and possibly tell my mom about it. Thank you again!

Closed Thread