It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2003, 11:48 PM   #1

cindeerella29 HB User
Post 22 years, no period for almost 2 years now

I am a 22 year old female and had no period for almost 2 years. Just last month I had a period, lasted 7 days, with TONS of clots. At the end of my cycle, there was this smelly brown stuff coming out of me, this lasted for about 1 week. I am just worried this might be cancer, also I am worried cause I'm not menstrating. I was once told I had a cyst on my ovary, and that it should clear up, I never had pain witht his cyst, so could it be maybe that this cyst didn't burst? ANY HELP PLEASE!!

Old 07-31-2003, 04:11 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Lindarella HB User
Having periods on a regular basis is a delicate hormone balancing act for your body. When there is a disruption is this balance, periods can become irregular.

Sometimes cysts go away, something they don't. People who are prone to cyst development may have many bouts with cysts. They don't usually "burst". They get bigger or smaller sometimes depending on the time of the month.

It's likely your trouble is caused by that cyst or other cysts since you've already been diagnosed with it. You need to keep going to the doctor until you get this straightened out. It could effect your fertility. Don't mess around. Try not to worry about the cancer aspect as that would be the least likely scenario at your age.

Good luck to you. Get to the doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2003, 04:48 AM   #3
Veteran

jessilynn68 HB User
Hi there - I have to second everthing Lindarella said, and must add that at 22 it is not normal not to have periods for 2 years, and if it were me, i would get my tushie to a doc and fast.

I also don't think its cancer. Not at all - I think its hormones, and if you have cysts, or anything else, it needs to be diagnosed soon.

Old 07-31-2003, 08:33 AM   #4
Inactive

mlgable HB User
Yep you need to see the doc especially since you mention smelly brown discharge at the end. That is your cue that some type of infection may be brewing. See a doc today and get this checked out before it turns into something serious.

Old 08-01-2003, 04:48 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

bluesnowflake HB User
I am sure its not cancer- I had the same problem as you. Here's my tale: I had irregular periods for two years when I first started menstrating at age 11. Then it quit. I periodically got it until age 15, then it stopped again. For good. I went to several doctors who said it was because I was overweight- (I am not THAT overweight!!) or it was because of my hypothyroidism- on and on. I even had one doctor tell me not too worry about it- I wasn't about to have kids anytime soon. Last summer I saw a gyno- and he was SO mad that I hadn't been helped. After some ultrasounds (frick, I must have had ten by then), and some bloodtests, he ruled out cysts, ulcers, and cancer. He immediately put me on progestin (provera)for ten days (WOW!! can you say PMS!!) and then I started on birth control. My first was much like yours- tonnes of clots and it went on for ten days. I literally changed my tampon every half hour AND my pad. It was terribly painful as well. I also had a brown discharge for a week after- he warned me it would just be that my body was getting rid of so much stuff that is was just the 'clean up crew'. Since then, I have been happily having my period while taking birth control. I am 22 as well, and I can promise every time I buy tampons I have a big grateful smile on my face. My advice to you is go to your doctor, and DEMAND an ultrasound and a good gyno. Good luck!

[This message has been edited by bluesnowflake (edited 08-01-2003).]

Old 08-01-2003, 07:44 PM   #6

tash479 HB User
Well, I don't know but it sounds like it might be PCOS-polycystic ovarian syndrome. that is what i suffer from. the only problem is that there are many different symptoms and not all women have the same symptoms. Some of the symptoms are excessive hairiness, polycystic ovaries, lack of menstration, extra weight, infertility. there are more symptoms than that but these are the really common ones. as of right now i suffer from the excess hair(which can be really embarssing cause my five 'o'clock shadow can be really bad)and the excess weight. i also crave sweets really bad which has contributed to my weight problem but with pcos, it raises your risk for diabetes and high blood pressure. i don't know if i have fertility problems cause i never tried to get pregnant and i have my periods every month but i was diagnosed with cysts on my ovaries. i was put on birth control to regulate my hormone levels and periods but i see no point to that as i have regular if heavy periods so i stopped. but anyway i ramble. it might be a good idea if you check out this possibility. the sooner you find out the problem the sooner you can get help for it.

Old 08-01-2003, 07:49 PM   #7

tash479 HB User
just an added note. i also work with another lady who has pcos. she also has trouble with her periods. she only has 1 or 2 a year and as a result has had no luck getting pregnant with her new husband. she had a son about 10 years ago only because she thought she couldn't get pregnant and didn't use protection and actually ovulated that one time. she suffers from a weight problem and has recently started to have a problem with hair. i'm only 24 so i think at this point i wouldn't mind having a problem with my periods if i could get rid of the hair. oh well i guess u gotta take the bad with the good huh.

Old 08-02-2003, 05:09 PM   #8
Inactive

Karla HB User
My mother has a problem with her thoroid and that causes her to go without her periods and she has to take medicine to get her period and deal with her thoroid. If she doesn't take the meds she doesn't get her period. You definetly need to see the dr. It could be a variety of things. Good luck.

Old 08-02-2003, 06:43 PM   #9
(female)

el_9_el HB User
yeah, I agree that it sounds possibly like PCOS. I also have this syndrome. I've always had irregular periods but now haven't had one for 4 months and it just doesn't feel like it's going to come any time soon. I'm 20 so perhaps I'll be in your shoes by age 22 and have been 2 years without one.
My symptoms are severe acne (that I've got under control using hormonal medication) and irregular periods. I also have a tiny bit of extra hair (that i would never have thought was abnormal unless i was diagnosed with this!)
Anyhow, it's worth investigating if you think it could be a possibility. The earlier you detect it, the more likely you will be to ward off future problems (such as obesity). Possibly an ultrasound and a visit to an endocrinologist could help?

Closed Thread