It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2003, 11:58 PM   #1
(female)

knockemdead HB User
Post Grrrrrrrr....advice, pleassse.

Hi ladies...I need some good advice. Tomorrow I am going to my doctor to get my birth control changed because I absolutely HATEEEEE what I am currently on. It's called Microgestin/Loestrin. Since I have been taking that mess, I have had more acne, 8 day periods, and fatigue.

My question is this. What birth control pill should I ask for?? I am wanting something that will keep my periods short and simple..help with my acne, and also keep my cramps to a minimum. (Without the BC, my cramps are hell...) I've heard of a kind called Dianette I believe??...And also Yasmine. I've heard nothing but good things about those two kinds of pills.

Anything I should recommend?? Also..with the Microgestin, I had crazy side effects when I first started taking it. You name it..I had it. Including the breakthrough bleeding..(which I still have sometimes!!!) My period is supposed to start this Sunday..and already I am having some brown discharge. Grr.

Girls never can win, can they?? Help me out here!!

Old 07-31-2003, 04:52 AM   #2
Veteran

jessilynn68 HB User
Hi there -

There is no one bc pill that works the same way for every woman, so I can't tell you what to ask for. what I can suggest is that you tell your doc EXACTLY what you told us. That should help him/her decide which way to go.

Good luck!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2003, 12:16 PM   #3
(female)

knockemdead HB User
YAY!!! I am not on Ortho-Tri-Cyclin...did I spell that right???

Is there anything I should expect while taking this pill???

Old 07-31-2003, 03:31 PM   #4
(female)

knockemdead HB User
Whoops..."not" = "now"

Is anyone else here on Ortho-Tri-Cyclen?

While taking Microgestin/Loestrin, my periods have been longer, I've have breakthrough bleeding maybe a week before my periods sometimes (is that normal???..brown blood..ick..)...and my acne has gotten worse.

With Ortho, will my periods be lighter and shorter???

Please respond!! Thanks

Old 07-31-2003, 03:35 PM   #5
(female)

knockemdead HB User
Also..is Ortho a low dose or a high dose?? And what is the difference? I forgot to ask that question while I was in there.

The specific kind I am on is.."Novum" I think.

Ortho-Tri-Cylen Novum...or something like that!!

Old 07-31-2003, 05:35 PM   #6
(female)

Sehsun HB User
I used to be on Ortho-Tri-Cyclen (for 2 years). My periods were lighter and shorter, yes. It lasted about 3-4 days, and they were light to the point that I was unable to use tampons - I don't know if it is that way for everybody who takes it, though. My face cleared up a lot when I was on OTC, too. And I think I was on a short dose - 5 mg??? Not too sure. Sometimes the white pills would make me feel nauseous in the morning (I took them at night). But I would always feel better if I ate something. Good luck to you!

Oh btw, you can always edit your messages in case you forgot/want to change something.

------------------
"If we don't change, we don't grow. If we don't grow, we aren't really living."
-Gail Sheehy

[This message has been edited by Sehsun (edited 07-31-2003).]

Old 07-31-2003, 08:50 PM   #7
(female)

knockemdead HB User
Thanks for telling me about the editing thing! And thanks for your input as well! I am really hoping that I don't have breakthrough bleeding with this new pill..and that my periods are much shorter. Did your periods last very long before you started taking the pill???

Old 08-01-2003, 08:44 AM   #8
(female)

knockemdead HB User
bump!

Old 08-01-2003, 01:27 PM   #9

MysteryGrl HB User
I'm on orthotricyclen too and have been for almost 2 years (with a 3 month break while I took ortho evra). I've never had breakthrough bleeding or any side effect while on it, really. My periods are now 2-3 days long and pretty light. I also have no cramping and previously my cramping would be HORRIBLE. Again, bc pills work differently for everyone but this one works great for me.

Hope it works out for you!

------------------
Lori

Old 08-01-2003, 11:26 PM   #10

MelissaH HB User
I took orthocylcen (not tri) for awhile. It is a high dose hormone. I switched to Alesse because of headaches and dizziness. Some docs recommend a lower dose for reasoning dealing with having babies after the pill.

Old 08-02-2003, 11:01 PM   #11
Veteran

strand3d HB User
Ortho tri cyclen is a rather high dose pill, a lot higher than what you were previously on. Ortho tri cyclen is also prescribed for acne purposes and does usually clear up acne. I was on othro tri cyclen for about a year but i had to get off it due to headaches but over all i had a very good experience. I've now switched to Mircette which is a low dose pill. good luck.

Old 08-03-2003, 06:34 AM   #12
(female)

knockemdead HB User
Hi!! And thanks for the replies. They are greatly appreciated. :-)

I was wondering -- did you have any breakthrough bleeding while you were on ortho-tri-cyclen??

Thanks!

Closed Thread