It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

Displaysia

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-24-2003, 06:55 PM   #1
rubydolphin79

rubydolphin79 HB User
Post Displaysia

Hello Ladies! I had displaysia over a year ago. I had cryo to supposedly get rid of the pre cancerous cells. Well here I am again with displaysia for the second time. Now on Friday the 1st I will be going through LEEP procedure. Has anyone ever had this done? Got Any Info?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2003, 08:06 AM   #2
serenity111
Inactive

serenity111 HB User
it was about 4 years ago when i had a leep done. the procedure wasnt painful! just uncomfortable. ive had 2 biopsy's of my cervix and i still have mild displasia. i get checked again in 6 months. the 1st time this happened, i freaked out and thought i had cervical cancer, but these are pre-cancerous, and i believe ALOT of women have these type of cells. your doc should be keeping a close eye on you, and checking you every 6 months. ok, the procedure is pretty simple, the most uncomfortable part was when they numb your cervix, after that, they are done in about 5-10 min, and then they coderise(?spelling) the area. i had a nurse old my hand and stay there next to me, and then they have you lay down for 10 min, afterwards. i hope this helps ya! good luck....it really isnt that bad!

Old 07-25-2003, 08:42 AM   #3
rubydolphin79

rubydolphin79 HB User
Thank you for all of the info. Just have 1 more question. What was it like a day after the procedure? I'm supposed to go to a concert, and I am trying to figure out if I will be up to it. What do you think?

Old 07-25-2003, 03:02 PM   #4
PaNik5717
Senior Veteran

PaNik5717 HB User
I had a LEEP a few months ago and it wasn't too bad. For me, the worst part was that the shot that they gave me had adrenaline in it and it made me shaky - not a good feeling when you are in that position. There is a really long post about LEEPs on the Cancer - Cervical, Ovarian,.... section of this board. I think it is six pages now. If you have any questions or concerns, post them here and get opinions, but make sure to ask your doc the same things because they may be different for you. Mine was done suddenly so I really couldn't prepare for it.

As you will see on that other page, the procedure really varies. Some women get painkillers or anxiety meds beforehand, some have an IV, some have it done in the hospital. Everyone seems to react differently and every doc seems to have a different approach. If you are awake, be aware that the section they cut out will look pretty big in the cup and the smell of your burning flesh is pretty gross.

I actually has less pain with the LEEP than I did with the Colpo and I had less bleeding since they gave me the adrenaline and cauterized the area. Anything you do in the weeks afterward can cause pain, bleeding, and scarring. It is best to take things slowly so that your recovery will be quicker. That is to say, moshing or crowd surfing probably won't be a very good idea. Otherwise, a concert could be good for you to take your mind off of things.

Good luck and please let us know how it goes.

Old 07-25-2003, 04:04 PM   #5
serenity111
Inactive

serenity111 HB User
hi again, after my procedure i spotted for a couple of days. the hard part was i had some tissue, brownish color coming out for a few days.... it was more a pain in the ? than anything else! if you do experience that, just wear a pantyliner. good luck, it really wont be that bad......

Old 07-26-2003, 05:10 PM   #6
MrsKramden

MrsKramden HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by rubydolphin79:
Thank you for all of the info. Just have 1 more question. What was it like a day after the procedure? I'm supposed to go to a concert, and I am trying to figure out if I will be up to it. What do you think?
If yours goes anything like mine did three weeks ago, you could GIVE a concert yourself. I walked a mile directly after having the LEEP.I didn't even feel like I had anything done.

My LEEP was a very positive experience. It's an easy procedure. My gyne had a physician's assistant holding my hand ! (God bless all the hand-holders ! )

The needles pinch (I thought it would be like unfelt dental needles, but the cervix has more sensitive nerves).Than it just felt like someone was applying warm water on my cervix. That's the best way I can describe it. Nothing about it was scarry. But the room filled with smoke -was like someone burned paper in the room.

I didn't start to get a discharge (clear and odorous) till 24 hours afterward, and that was not a lot. I am also 44, menopaused and went through an array of gynecological issues this year.

[This message has been edited by MrsKramden (edited 07-26-2003).]

Old 07-28-2003, 10:39 PM   #7
fachina1

fachina1 HB User
Cool

The best kept secret about cervical dysplasia is that it is completely preventable with nutrition and lifesytle changes. In fact 60% of low grade dysplasias go away on their own because our immune systems take care of the problem. Thats why your GYN will have you come back in 6 months. If left untreated cervical dysplasia can lead to cervical cancer so you must do something. The most important things we can do are: stop smoking, have protected sex, eat good food, and beef up our immune systems with vit C, echinachea and whatever else you can think of. Just taking extra folic acid 1-5mg/day has been shown to resolve low to moderate dysplasia. Personally, surgically removing part of the cervix is barbaric to me. If you are in a state that licenses naturopathic physicians consider treating the dysplasia naturally.

Old 08-04-2003, 07:40 AM   #8
rubydolphin79

rubydolphin79 HB User
I just wanted to keep everyone posted on the displaysia. I had the LEEP done on Friday. I was not that bad after all. I had some cramps and a little bleeding. The doc feels confident that he "got it all". I will go back in 6 weeks and 12 week check ups. Wish me luck!

Closed Thread