It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2003, 09:40 PM   #1

Hamer HB User
Exclamation Nothing works!!!!!

Hi, I have a question for you ladies. I just got married about 2 months ago and since I am unable to use hormonal forms of birth control, my husband and I have been using condoms. The only thing is, he can't really feel anything with the condom on, and I don't get as wet when he is wearing it because it doesn't feel as good for me either. We have tried diaphrams but that he says the ridge of it hurts. Lately, we have been just using withdrawl. Do you think this will protect us from pregnancy? We don't want kids for at least 5-10 years. We considered vasectomy, but we really do want kids some day. Can anyone help me??

Thank you for any advice!
Amber

Old 08-01-2003, 04:08 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Lindarella HB User
Contraceptions effective is rated by how many people get pregnant in a year.

The pills effectiveness is .03 woman out of 100 will get pregnant within a year.

Condoms-2 out of 100

Withdrawl-4 out of 100

These figures are for perfect use. Meaning if you use the method perfectly each and every time. If you are not perfect, withdrawl can fail 25% of the time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2003, 08:28 AM   #3
Inactive

mlgable HB User
Have you tried the foams or suppositories or tried vaginal contracptive film for women? These are all possibilities that might work for you. Also I think it would be helpful to try several different kinds of condoms and make it a fun night just trying different ones out since so many are ribbed or thin etc.

Old 08-01-2003, 02:11 PM   #4

sapphira HB User
withdrawal DOES NOT work.

there are live, viable sperm in pre-ejaculate fluids so the chance of you becoming pregnant this way is high.

talk to your dr. or healthcare provider and have him or her advise you.

for now (and esp. if you do not want kids) keep using a condom

sapphira

[This message has been edited by sapphira (edited 08-01-2003).]

Old 08-02-2003, 10:58 PM   #5
Veteran

strand3d HB User
What about an IUD? or a cervical cap? If you cannot use anything hormonal for medical reasons or whatever else you might just have to suck it up and use condoms. If you don't want children i would not suggest using the withdrawal method. You could also try natural family planning, where you monitor your temperature and such around the time you ovulate and avoid sex during your fertile times. I also donít' really recommend that, but it's a lot more effective then just withdrawal.

Old 08-04-2003, 12:13 PM   #6

Hamer HB User
Thanks for all your help! You have given me some good ideas. I think I will look into the nonhormonal IUD. Does anyone know anything about the copper IUD? Copper doesn't affect the hormones right?
thanks!
Amber

Old 08-04-2003, 03:02 PM   #7

Pandabaire3 HB User
Please be aware that copper type IUD's are intended for women in monogomous relationships who have had children already - so some docs won't give it to young women. This is because there is a chance of the IUD facilitating an ectopic pregnancy, so - if you plan on having kids in the future, be aware of the risk you are taking for injuring or losing a fallopian tube and/or ovary when using this method of birth control. You can read my experience by doing a search under IUD failure in your search engine.

Again, it is rare...but it does happen so go into the procedure with that in mind. "Normal" pregnancies can also occur while on an IUD - more than the 1% rate that is widely touted from my observance. If you can possibly handle the uterus localized progestin of the Mirena IUD, I'd say that would be a safer bet than the copper type.

Closed Thread