It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2003, 12:21 PM   #1

piercing HB User
Post bright bleeding, clots...

Hi!
I am 41 yrs old, I used to have very regular periods (every 28 days by 9:00 am). Over the past 8 months, my periods have been getting closer together... I attributed this to peri-menopause. Last month though kind of freaked me out. On July 4th I bled for 1/2 day... bright red (like I'd cut myself), another 1/2 day on July 6th. On July 9-11 I had a regular period.
July 29th I had a light flow day starting in late afternoon. On the 30th I bled so heavy, I could watch it dripping into the toilet rapidly... bright red... it turned the water in the bowl bright. Later in the day I passed a clot about an inch in diameter. Within 45 minutes I passed another clot about the same size followed again with lots of heavy bleeding... by evening the bleeding subsided and the following day I just spotted. Since I've been a bit crampy.
I had a tubal ligation 18 years ago, so pregnancy isn't possible and I have a strong family history of cervical cancer... both my sister and mother in their 30's had to have hysterectomy's and a great aunt died of cervical cancer.... (proudly, I have the oldest uterus in our family!) But I haven't had a pap in 4-5 years cause I'm not real big on doctors visits... I know that's not wise given my family history, but my doc once told me that cervical cancer is not a family thing.... I did make an appointment but can't get in for just over a month.
I'm alarmed and looking for advise, similar symptoms etc. I'd appreciate any info you might have to offer!
Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2003, 01:40 PM   #2

Chaotican HB User
It is good that you've made an appointment, and you do need to be seen. Until then, I wouldn't worry too much.

It is pretty sad to me that as I'm reading this questions, I can identify with so many of the problems! No wonder my obgyn knows me so well...

For three months, I got my period every two weeks, and it was very heavy. I discussed this with my doctor and was told that if there were a problem (and there may not be - sometimes this stuff just happens) that it was almost certainly fibroids. I would guess that the same is true for your situation. There is a slight chance of cancer, but that would be a major long-shot. It could be hormonal changes, as well.

In my case, I didn't have fibroids. I needed an ultrasound to confirm this, but no fibroids were found. My doctor told me to eat a lot of iron and to go on BCP if it really bothered me. I'd rather bleed than go on BCP, and it stopped happening after about four months.

Relax, but don't cancel that appointment! It is so much better to go for regular exams than to wait until something comes up...

Old 08-04-2003, 06:07 PM   #3
Inactive

mlgable HB User
Your periods can tend to be heavier as you get closer to menopause and clots are not uncommon. I used to pass clots regularly every month but now as I get closer to full menopause I rarely pass them. You need to find yourself a doc you feel comfortable with so that you don't keep skipping your yearly exams. Cancer history or not you should never skip your annual physical because any problems not caught right away can take that much longer to take care of when you have let them go. If you do not feel real comfortable with the doc you are seeing this time be sure to look around for a doc you do feel comfortable with so that when the times comes that you need to see a doc again you already have someone lined up that you are comfortable with.

Old 08-04-2003, 09:23 PM   #4

piercing HB User
Thanks guys! I talked to a nurse from my Dr.'s office today... she moved my appointment to Wednesday. I'd never experienced anything like this before, and I'm less aprehensive knowing others have had similar experiences and all was OK.

Closed Thread