It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2003, 01:37 PM   #1

JodiNDave HB User
Post severe ovarian pain

I am a 34 yr mom of 4 kids 9-13. I have been having ovarian pain for several years, and three years ago the obgyn took out my uteras but left my ovaries saying they were covered with cysts but that they cleaned them and left them. I felt ok for a year or so but then the pain came back, they have done ultrasounds but couldnt see anything. I delt with this none exsisting pain for another two years before I had another stomache surgery and the Dr was kind enough to look at my ovaries he said they looked healthy but were covered with cysts and that there was a ton of scar tissue on them. He cleaned them up and left them in. This was in March, and I have been suffering again in pain sence June. I have done alot of research on the internet and have taken alot of those quizes that tell you if you might have 'something' I scored very high on he one for PCOS but wouldnt you think that one of the dr.'s who had been in there would have seen that. Am I missing something here, is there anyone out there that might have some idea why I have such severe ovarian pain. It is mostly on the left side but does effect the right side every now and again. The pain itself is a direct stabbing pain, that I can feel from the front of me to my back. I am just looking for any avenues that might be thrown this way, thanks...tired of the pain

------------------
Live, Laugh and love today for you never know what tomorrow might bring

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2003, 02:44 PM   #2

Chaotican HB User
If you scored high on a test for PCOS, then you probably do have it. As many as 10% of the population has PCOS. More doctors catch it now than did a few decades ago, but it still does get misdiagnosed.

The fact that you have multiple cysts on your ovaries is pretty convincing. This happens with PCO, and removing the cysts won't really help things because more will appear. In fact, they aren't cysts at all, but rather eggs that went wrong.

PCO can cause very painful periods, and if your ovaries are enlarged, it can cause pain between cycles as well. A blood test is needed to determine if you have the hormonal indications of PCO. If so, treatment options could include BCP, metformin, or other drugs to control the symptoms.

Old 08-05-2003, 11:12 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

winged phantom HB User
Jodi,
It's possible you might even have adhesions in addition to PCOS (if, in fact, you do have that)... adhesions are scar tissue, after all, and they are the body's natural healing process... except that in some people they form excessively. They commonly cause "pulling" pains, and your history certainly shows that they could be there.

Ask your doctors... or your surgeons for all your surgical reports and see if adhesions are listed anywhere. They would have been seen during surgery and MIGHT even be the scar tissue on the ovaries. In fact, adhesions commonly are caused by the "foreign" fluid that comes out of a ruptured ovarian cyst. Adhesions will not be seen on any test... they can only be verified by direct visualization (like during surgery).

My story with adhesions is here if you care to search for it.

Wishing you a painfree day...
wr

Old 08-05-2003, 02:34 PM   #4

Flash13 HB User
Request to have a glucose/ insulin blood test done. One of the key factors for women with PCOS is insulin resistance. This is defiantly something your doctor needs to look into. Especially for the blood sugar results because that can lead to further problems.

Closed Thread