It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2003, 07:19 AM   #1
Inactive

Shel1974 HB User
Post Yeast infections ~ Vitamins

I usually get a yeast infection every month. Doctor says it has to do with my hormones. He told me to use monistat once the week before my period to help prevent one from coming. The nurse practitioner told me to douche with Massengil water/vinegar the week before my period...

I did some research last night and found an article saying that if you take these vitamins you can help prevent ever getting them again:

Vitamin A 25,000 international units

Vitamin C 4,000 milligrams, taken as 2 divided doses

Vitamin E 400 international units

Zinc 15 milligrams

And also cutting out white flour, sugar, sweets, cheese and mushrooms

Has anyone else heard of this? Or tried this?

For my current infection my doctor gave me Diflucan, that was 4 days ago and It hasn't helped at all. I have also been using Boric Acid suppositories, still no relief. Been eating lots of yogurt too. He gave me a refill for the diflucan, is it safe to take after only 4 days of the first dose??

I want to cure this one and concentrate on not getting one next month!! PLUS I am going on my cruise in September, where I'll be wearing a swim suit for 7 days......I am freaked I'll get an infection while vacationing. Why don't they make suits with cotten crotches??

Ugh...

Sorry for the long post.

Old 08-04-2003, 08:08 AM   #2
Inactive

mlgable HB User
You need to be sure to eat plenty of yogurt with live active cultures or take accidophillis capsules routinely to help prevent yeast infections. The vitamins will help your overall general health but will not specifically help prevent yeast infections. While on your cruise though you need to be sure to not sit around in the wet swimming suit as this is a perfect breeding ground for yeast. You might also want to do a search here for grapefruit seed extract as this has been very helpful with yeast infections and so has tea tree oil. If you do a search for those two on these boards I am sure plenty of posts will come up.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2003, 08:43 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

DoeZ0763 HB User
Question

Hi there... I think I got my first yeast infection ever. I'm 40 too. I'm not quite sure but I'm thinking it was because of how my husband washed our *****...I have this awful itch...I mean I could rip it apart down there...I have been using this Monastat stuff...I'm going to get some yogurt today also...any special brands? Also...is it safe to have sex when you have a yeast infection? Just wondering...I feel a little better now...less itchy like after the sex. Thanks for any advice

Old 08-04-2003, 10:27 AM   #4
Inactive

Shel1974 HB User
I do take acidophilus faithfully every day, more than once a day. The yogurt I do slack off on when I don't have a yeast infection...

I'm not only worried about being in a wet bathing suit which, when at all possible I won't be doing, but I am assuming it will be hot and I will get sweaty down there....I just feel that I am doomed to get one.

My gyno acted like it was no big deal getting one every month. He said it happens to lots of women because of hormones. To me it doesn't make sense that some women get them every month and some don't. Especially when I take a lot of precautions...

Old 08-04-2003, 10:31 AM   #5
Inactive

Shel1974 HB User
Doe,

Just make sure the yogurt says 'live active cultures' or 'l.acidophilus' on it somewhere....that's the kind to eat. I try to get the ones with the least amount of sugar in them too.

When washing your sex toy, I guess you should just make sure you rinse it thoroughly. I use Dove soap because it is supposed to be the gentilest. Plus I don't use fabric softener on my undies, and I wash with All Free & Clear.

You are lucky this is your first one ever, at 40! I'm 28 and I have had about one a month since February. Previously I would get them a couple times a year. I think I got my worst one after receiving oral sex this past February. Hubby is a beer drinker. I make him take acidophilus now too. But I haven't let him down there to give me oral since then. I don't want to chance it.

Anyhow, good luck!!

Old 08-04-2003, 05:42 PM   #6
Inactive

mlgable HB User
Sex toys need to be disinfected between use. Soap and water is not effective for cleaning sex toys. Also if you think you have a yeast infection you need to see the doc to get tested since it could very well be something else. It is never safe to self diagnos a yeast infection if you haven't had them frequently. Also it is not really a good idea to have sex with any type of vaginal or oral infection since you could pass the bacteria on to your partner who in turn would pass it back to you the next time you had intercourse or oral sex etc.

Old 08-05-2003, 03:21 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

NickName HB User
I've been battling a yeast infection all summer. It is at least not as bad when it does come back, but I'm doing all the stuff...

Grapefruit seed extract
acidophilis capsules
yogurt
avoiding starches and sugars
ironing underwear and not using fabric softener
monistat when needed

But what has gone against me is the fact that I took antibiotics back in January that ocmpletely stripped my immune system of all the good bacteria--I was sick for 4 months!!! I was pretty sick and my immune system really took a dive. I think that, combined with the fact that my car has no air conditioning, has made it very hard for my body to keep it in check. And it seems to come back after sex (with condoms... but no spermicide, just lubricant--I'm looking into the ingredients of the lubricant as we speek)

Diflucan did NOT work for me either... don't keep taking it.

How much yogurt should one eat?

Old 08-05-2003, 04:06 PM   #8
(female)

Kimberley~ HB User
Hey
I don't know what all those other things are you girls take for your yeat infections. I have never had one but i get frequent bladder infections when i am stressed, so my doc told me to drink cranberry juice but i only like the mixed and even that can get annoying so i found these handy cranberry vitamin type things and since i started taking those i have not had any problems. I'm not one for chemicals so I find that these concentrated cran pills are fantastic. You can get them in the vitamin section. Highly recommended. The doc says it will work on Yeast infections too so that's a bonus.
Good luck

Old 08-05-2003, 04:11 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

NickName HB User
The cranberry works for yeast? I have never heard that before... anyone else know about this???

I'll try anything!

Old 08-05-2003, 06:35 PM   #10
(female)

Kimberley~ HB User
Hey

I don't know if it will clear it up once you get it but it sure keeps it all clean. I've never gotten a yeast infection from the antibiotics either i dunno. I could be wrong but i've had no troubles with either so maybe i am just lucky.

/but good luck. If i am wrong sorry about that!!! But i am just speaking from personal experience!

Old 08-06-2003, 07:48 AM   #11
Inactive

Shel1974 HB User
After two doses of diflucan I finally decided to take PLAIN non fat yogurt and put them in the fingers of a non-latex glove, freeze them, and insert half a frozen finger into my vagina at night. After just two nights of doing this I FEEL MUCH BETTER. It's less messy than monistat.

Nickname I replied to you on your original post about some suggestions...

THanks

Old 08-06-2003, 08:32 AM   #12

rubydolphin79 HB User
I just wanted to let you know that Diflucan, takes longer that monostat to work. Diflucan has to go though your stomach then into your blood stream to work, that is why it can take up to 24 hours to even start working. Monostat goes directly into the vagina and usuall helps right on the contact area. Cranberry Juice is very good to yeast infections and UTI's. You can try drinking some of that. Good Luck and have fun on your vacation! Just remember don't sit around in a wet bathing suit!

Old 08-06-2003, 09:13 AM   #13
Inactive

Shel1974 HB User
Hey maybe I can order mixed drinks with cranberry juice in it while on the cruise?? lol, that should help right??

I did take the first dose of diflucan last Thursday, and felt no relief after 4 days, so took a second dose. I do feel better now.

I am looking for sporty skirts to wear on the cruise, so while on off shore excursions I can easily slip out of my bikini bottoms......Hard to find anything summery this time of year...

thanks for your input!

Old 08-06-2003, 11:32 AM   #14
Inactive
(female)

NickName HB User
Actually alcohol has so much sugar its best to avoid it when you have this problem.

Of all the diet advice on here, the only one I noticed that worked is avoiding sugar and bread. The rest had absolutely no effect, and leaves you with very little to eat.

Closed Thread