It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2003, 05:24 AM   #1
(female)

lynnk HB User
Red face Bartholins Cysts - bleeding

Hi all

I had an total hysterectomy 5 years ago with just the tip of the cervix left and everything has been brillliant till 2 weeks ago!

The last time I had a Bartholin's cyst, well several of them actually, was about 18 years ago. Guess what, one appeared to the left of my labia, just outside the opening and by good was it painful! Very hard, red angry and sore until this morning.

I went to the toilet and noticed that my knickers had blood on them - I was shocked becuase I do not have periods anymore there shouldn't be any blood there. When I wiped myself the tissue wasa covered in blood so I had to go to my local pharmacy and buy some pantyliners so that I could keep it contained.

Now my questions is what do I do now - should I go to my doctor who is fully booked till next Tuesday when I have an appointment with her then - as the cyst (I think and hope) has burst and is bleeding or should I go straight to A&E and wait for hours for someone to look at me and send me home?

Any advice would really help me and just to let you know that it seems to have stopped for the short term in bleeding, whatever it is. Is there a chance that I could make it worse by leaving it.

Thanks girls

Lynn

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2003, 03:46 PM   #2

Chaotican HB User
Hey there Lyn,

Ouchie! I'm really sorry that you have this problem. It sounds like your cyst abcessed and is draining on it's own.

You should be ok waiting until your next apointment, if you take good care of yourself until then. Your doctor probably would have drained the cyst for you, so you just saved them the trouble. You need to take at least three baths a day to make sure that the wound stays open and can drain freely. I like to put a bit of mild antibacterial soap in the bath water as a precaution, but that probably doesn't have any real effect.

The possible danger is that you could get a worse infection if the cyst doesn't drain properly. Be alert and go to the doctor (and wait...) if it seems to be filling up again or if it becomes very tender. Sometimes doctors will prescribe antibiotics like Keflex when you have an infection like this, just to be careful. You may want to call your doctor's office and explain the situation and see if they want to prescribe you an antibiotic over the phone.

Hang in there, and remember to take those baths!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread