It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2003, 08:55 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Greenoctopus18 HB User
Post What can cause this pain?

Hello. Last night I had a high temperature, then thismorning when i woke and urinated I got the same after-pain as with a UTI. My back also ached ******ds towards the sides. I went to my early class and then went straight to the medical centre. There wasn't going to be a doctor there until 2pm. The nurse checked my temperature (which was then normal) and then she checked for leucocytes in the urine, of which there was none, indicating no infections present.
She then tried calling several medical practices, all of which were booked out apart from one at 3:15pm. She said there is a flu epidemic in the area causing the lack of appointment times.
I have a compulsory class beginning at 3 until 5, so I coudln't take the appointment. She said she would send a urine sample to the pathology centre and get the results back tomorrow and call me then. She said she wasn't happy to let me go as that seemed unsatisfactory, but there wasn't anything else to do.
Now, it is 1:50pm and I have abdominal/pelvic pains. It feels like really bad gas pains, but I don't feel bloated or anything. And I mean it is really quite bad and painful. I don't know what to do. Could this be caused by a UTI? or could something else cause this and the other symptoms of a UTI?
It hurts more when I put pressure on it also.
COudl this be my bladder?
Help!.
Thanks!

Rebecca.

Old 08-05-2003, 10:11 PM   #2
Inactive

kimzi81 HB User
you might have a kidney infection. fever and back pain sound like it, you should definately see your doctor as soon as you can so you can get medicine to treat it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2003, 02:35 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Greenoctopus18 HB User
Hello.
So pelvic pain could be caused by a kidney infection?
I had all of the symptoms earlier today, but now I can urinate without any pain at all. I now just have a constant dull aching-type pain in my pelvic area.
I have been drinking more fluids than usual since seeing the nurse (but still probably no where near the recommended amount). And I just remembered I forgot to buy some cranberry juice.
HOPEFULLY I can get in to see a doctor tomorrow. There wasn't any appointments but they can try to fit me in somewhere.
Thanks.

Old 08-06-2003, 03:24 AM   #4
Inactive

kimzi81 HB User
hmm i just reread your post and noticed that you said they did a urine test with no leukocytes present.. so most likely it's not a kidney infection because that starts out when bacteria enteres the urethra and creeps its way up into the kidneys. maybe it's kidney stones? (though im guessing its not because you would be in a lot more pain) but its the only thing i can think of that would cause back and abdominal pain without any bacteria present. sorry about the last post, i didnt read the question thoroughly =P good luck at the doctor's!

Old 08-06-2003, 04:23 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Greenoctopus18 HB User
Hi. No problem. Thanks anyway.

I am beginning to think the pelvic pain is unrelated to the UTI symptoms I had earlier. It is pain more in my ovaries, which can't be related to my bladder or kidneys... I hope!

Also, the nurse that checked for leucocytes said that they may not be picked up on their tests if it was a new infection. I don't know what they used.. it was a cardboard strip that was dipped in urine and then after 30 seconds you read off the colours to see if they matched with any of the colours on the box. It wasn't very technical. At least it didn't look it.

Thanks again.

Old 08-06-2003, 07:47 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

PaNik5717 HB User
Hi,

I have been worrying about UTI symptoms right now, too, but I don't feel like seeing a doctor right now - terible, I know. I was diagnosed with a UTI onced based on my description of my symptoms and an examination by a doctor. I don't think I owned a thermometer at the time and I don't remember any pain except for the pain of a constantly "full" bladder. They didn't find anything in the urine sample, but they treated me for a UTI anyway and I got better. I seem to remember the doc telling me that it was somewhat common not to have the normal signs in the actual urine. Either way, if the pain is still there - lus the fever! - it would make sense to try to get back to the health center to see a doc.

Feel better soon.

Old 08-06-2003, 08:14 AM   #7

rubydolphin79 HB User
Hello there! I just wanted to let you know if it is an UTI, don't let it go too long. I had an UTI, that I left untreated for a couple of days, and then the infection got up into my Kidneys! OUCH! I could barely get out of bad, had to have someone help me go to doc's office. Cranberry juice is very good for UTI, so if you can get ahold of some, it would not be a bad idea to drink quite a bit of it. Sorry if I scared you...please go back and see doc! Take Care Keep us posted!

Old 08-06-2003, 08:26 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Greenoctopus18 HB User
Hello. Thankyou for all of your replies.
I got a phone call saying that someone had missed their 10am appointment this morning, so I got to go there then.
The sample that was sent away yesterday wasn't sent away soon enough. They had to wait until 2pm for a doctor to get there to fill in the form and then take it to the centre that tests it.
So I done another today.
Yesterday I was surprised at how diluted the sample looked. I had only had one cup of tea before taking it.
Then this morning it was very dark, and maybe even a little red, which I guess indicates blood?
I will get a phone call when the results are back.

I haven't had any more pain after urinating since yesterday. I told the doctor this and she said that the symptoms sound similar to a virus going around (back ache and fever). But that doesn't explain the pain after urination yesterday.

Hopefully I will get the results soon.

Thanks.

I still have ovarian pains though. I didn't get time to ask about this.

Closed Thread