It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2003, 08:53 AM   #1

tummyprobs HB User
Post Pico? Craving chalk & soil

When I was in high school I started craving chalk, as in I would walk by the chalkboards in school and my mouth would water uncontrollably. So I started eating it and it tasted sooooo good...isn't that disgusting. This went on all through highschool and it included plaster sometimes, as in the stuff on my walls. Then in my second year of college I had a soils class nad there were drawers full of different types of soil and sure enough, everytime I smelt the soil my mouth would water. I literally wanted to grab a spoon....! Ok but then for like 5 years it went away and now I am in grad school and guess what the chalk cravings came back. I finally was brave enough to ask the health center on campus about this and they said it was Pico but didn't know anything about it, just that it has to do with my menstrual cycle and to take a major multivitamin.

I have never been pregnant and my periods are normal. I am 25.

Any info?

Old 08-09-2003, 03:07 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

PaNik5717 HB User
Hey Tummy Probs,

I had Pica recently when I was severley anemic and it is starting to come back. The definition is craving something non-nutritive like chalk, soil, paint chips or ice. It usually signifies some kind of malnutrition, like iron deficiency. If the multivitamins don't work quick enough for you (I needed a lot more than just a multivitamin and it took several months) ask your doc for a better explanation and maybe a blood test to determine exactly what your body is missing. It may be absent from your diet or you may not absorb it properly.

Search for pica on the internet and you should find more.

Nik

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread