It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2003, 10:48 AM   #1
(female)

kimde HB User
Post Ibuprofen for cramps?

I usually take ibuprofen to deal with menstrual cramps--usually just one or two days during my period. Someone mentioned to me that you should NOT take ibuprofen during your period. Does anyone know if this is true, and if so, why? Any other alternatives that work well? Thanks!

Old 08-08-2003, 01:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User
Sorry cant help you l do know when l have took it totm l feel ill! dodgy stomach the lot so now l take neurofen it works a treat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2003, 10:55 PM   #3
Inactive

kimzi81 HB User
i take ibuprofen all the time.. its the main ingredient in midol and those pms and cramp medicines.. the only thing i can think of is.. my dad broke a rib once and the doctor told him not to take ibuprofen because it could make it bleed (making the bruise larger which it did because he took the ibuprofen anyway.) but i think its unrelated to periods.. we dont bleed because of injury... but if anyone else has info id like to know it before i mess my body up even more! =)

Old 08-09-2003, 07:00 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

PaNik5717 HB User
We were just talking about this recently. I take Ibu, too, and it does cause bleeding. My doc recently encouraged me to use ibu or Alleve, but I question her advice because I am anemic and my bleeding resembles periods, but it's abnormal. I was bleeding with some pain for four weeks last month and using ibu that long could cause serious damage. Plus, I need all the blood I can get so losing just a little each time I take a pill is too much.

For most people, this probably isn't a huge concern. If you are worried, search for Ibuprofen and GI bleeding.

I have started using heat to help with the pain. I have a heating pad in bed and I purchased those 8 hour heat patches that fit in your clothes. They are a little more expensive than pain pills, though.

Old 08-11-2003, 07:06 AM   #5
(female)

AnnieGis HB User
I've noticed I bleed more when I take ibuprofen for cramps. I've tried Tylenol for Women and it took care of cramps but also seemed to make me feel drained. The best thing I've tried is also the heating pad. The less pills I take, the better I feel. So the heating pad does the trick for me.

Closed Thread