It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2003, 07:18 AM   #1

22ad22 HB User
Post first time BCP question

I have some questions about BCP. A couple weeks ago my gyn gave me estrostep to try, I've never been on BCP before. I wanted to start taking it my next cycle which was supposed to start last week. It was late and started yesterday. It was really late in the day, and I didn't want to start taking my pills at that time. It is more convenient for me to take them early in the day, and so they dont interfere with another med I take. So since I started my period on a sunday, i missed sunday and 1st day starting. But I've read that sunday starting is just for convenience because thats how it starts on BCP packs, its just a default. Can I just start my pills sometime this week, before next sunday?

Another question. I am supposed to go on vacation in the beginning of sept. It will be during the 3rd and beginning of 4th week of the pills if I were to start them this week. I'm worried about pill side effects that might ruin my vacation. How has the first month been for people? I don't want to worry about breakthrough bleeding or spotting while on vacation. Since I already had a problem with starting the pill and have this upcoming vacation its probably a good idea to wait till next month. But my cycles are so long and irregular that I will have to wait a long time. I'm so sick of dealing with my irregular, heavy, and painful cycles that I didn't want to have to wait anymore.

Any advice?
Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2003, 11:14 AM   #2

brendiqueen HB User
Hey 22add22, I would recommend to wait a month before you start your BC pack. I am on Ortho-try-ciclen (3 years already) and when I started taking it I was told to start taking it as soon as my period started (First Day start) or on a Sunday (your case). I am Sunday Starter so the week I got my period I took my first pill that Sunday even if you are still bleeding.. As far as the side effects, with the pill is hard to say since each "brand" has differeny side effects on everybody. With me, so far OTC has worked great... Headaches once in a while but other than that all good ... Keep me posted..

------------------
BSL

Old 08-11-2003, 11:35 AM   #3

22ad22 HB User
Thanks for your reply. I guess waiting is the best option, I just didn't want to have to deal with this for another month. I hate that my period is always late or early, I never know when I'm going to get it. And next month its coming around the time of an out of town wedding. And I was hoping to avoid it then, in case it decided to come at a bad time again.

Thanks again!

Old 08-11-2003, 11:46 AM   #4

brendiqueen HB User
Once you start your pills,let me know how they go.. As I said I take Ortho-tryciclen, but still I'd be glad to help with whatever I can..

------------------
BSL

Old 08-11-2003, 03:02 PM   #5
Veteran

strand3d HB User
Even though 'techinally' you started your period yesterday, you could still start taking your pills today. It really won't make a difference. The reason why your gyno told you to start your pills on the first day of your period is because if you start your pills on the first day of your period you're fully protected on birth control. If you choose to start on a random day (a day when you're not on your period) you have to use a back up method for a couple of weeks before birth control takes effect.

Starting your pills today really won't make much of a difference. I'd say go ahead and start them. When i first started taking birth control i didn't start my pills on the day of my period like my gyno said. I just started taking them at a random time, whenever i felt best. It didn't cause me any problems.

As for your vacation, every woman reacts different to birth control. The begining of your fourth week of pills SHOULD be your placebo week, and you'll begin to have your period that week. It might be ligher than usual because you were on your period at the begining of your pills too. It shouldn't effect your vacation too much though. good luck

Closed Thread