It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2003, 08:47 PM   #1

hyzenthlay HB User
Post pap smear

i've always gone and laid back while the doc did a pap smear. i never asked what she was doing and i won't get a chance to for another half a year. exactly what do they do when they perform a pap smear? do they take any flesh or use sharp instruments? the reason i ask is that i noticed that my cervix feels notched and there is some hard jagged flesh. it used to be completely smooth. could this be from the pap smears?

Old 08-10-2003, 10:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

normorcrazy HB User
First I must ask, do you know for sure you are feeling your cervix? The cervix usually sits pretty high up and isn't always easy to find. Anyway, they have a soft tipped spikey brush and a flat wooden brush. The flat one is to scrape cells from the outside of the cervix and the other one is for the inside of the cervix. They then put the samples on a slide and spray them with a substance that is like hairspray to help dry the sample. That is all that should be used, unless your doctor is performing another procedure. I can't say what you are feeling is a result from the pap cause I've never heard of anything like that when I worked in OB/GYN, but I could be wrong. I do know colposcopies can cause an abnormal appearance and feel to the cervix.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2003, 08:17 PM   #3

hyzenthlay HB User
how hard do they usually scrape?

Closed Thread