It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2003, 04:47 PM   #1

TroubledYouth HB User
Question Diflucan?

my dr has prescribed diflucan to me, it was supossed to clean up my infection in 24 hours, but no sign of that yet..i was just wondering if anyone else has taken it, and how long it took for you thanks.

------------------
-When life gives ya lemons, squeeze em in someones eye until you feel better-

Old 08-09-2003, 05:33 PM   #2
(female)

Ravishing HB User
I just had it prescribed to me about a week ago. It took a few days before the itching went away but now I have some strange discharge so I think that things aren't entirely cleared up yet. My Dr. told me to take one pill when I got the prescription filled and then to take another dose in 2 weeks (which will be this coming Friday). I have another appointment on Tuesday and he said that if things weren't cleared up I may have to try a cream as well (I hope not because they're SOOO GROSS!)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2003, 05:59 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

normorcrazy HB User
Diflucan has been shown to kill off too much yeast causing a bacterial infection. If your discharge changes...most likely becoming yellowish and with an odor chances are that's what you have. If it does change in odor or consistancy you need to be re-evaluated prior to taking more medication.

Old 08-09-2003, 06:26 PM   #4

TroubledYouth HB User
well i got just one dose...ive tried the creams twice already hen when it didnt go away i went to my dr and she took a swab and what not and told me to take the diflucan, didnt say anything about if it didnt clear up so i guess she was pretty confident.
it still itches just as bad but the discharg has changed from whitish to almost clear..to thicker and just white...not sure if thats good or not though

------------------

Old 08-10-2003, 08:46 PM   #5
(female)

Ravishing HB User
Angry

ARG! It IS yellow and does have a bit of a smell to it! GRRRR...

My appt with my Dr. is on Tues and I would have to take the pill on Fri so hopefully things are sorted out between that time.

Thanks for the info

Old 08-11-2003, 07:04 AM   #6
(female)

PetiteBliss HB User
Also, with treating yeast infections, please keep in mind that things will usually get worse before it gets better. This is called the die off process and it is horrific. Trust me, it may seem like the meds aren't working b/c of this--but don't believe the hype..even one day meds that claim to relieve you of symptoms in 24-hrs...that's usually stretching it. Unless you are applying something topically, chances are that it will take a tad bit longer 2-3 days. It's normal but definitely a pain. And the other poster was right in saying that often times when treating a yeast infection you can get a bacterial infection. Although not as painful as a yeast infection, it is just as much as a nuisance (and a smelly one at that). Be mindful that with the bacterial infection only antibiotics can treat it, and more likely than not you will suffer from yet another yeast infection and thus the cycle continues. Be sure to add acidophilus (sp) to your daily regimen and that along with other natural yeast infection supplements can help prevent furture yeast (and in some cases) bacterial infections. Have patience my friend, this is the beginning of what may seem like a never ending saga. I only know from experience...so I wish you the best. Good luck to you.

------------------
PetiteBliss

Old 08-11-2003, 08:07 AM   #7
Inactive

Shel1974 HB User
Well that makes me angry that Diflucan can lead to a bacterial infection. My doctors nurse told me that taking too much Diflucan wouldn't hurt me. I took two doses within 4 days of each other. Thought I was better til today I'm 'sitting' at work. I hate sitting all the time....I haven't worn pants in two weeks!!

I hate this...I was going to call and ask for more Diflucan but I won't. I just used a messy cream a few days ago, not going that route again.

Old 08-11-2003, 08:28 AM   #8

TroubledYouth HB User
well this is no good...haha they didnt tell us about this a few years back in sex ed...i really hope it ends and doesnt turn into something that i need antibiotics for because my health insurance runs out WED....so if that does happen does anyone know what i could possibly do

------------------

Old 08-11-2003, 08:01 PM   #9
Senior Veteran

normorcrazy HB User
Free clinics or clinics based on income can do an examine and determine what's going on and medicate you.

Old 08-11-2003, 08:55 PM   #10

TroubledYouth HB User
Smile

ah thank you so much ive been really worried about that...seems a little better today not as itchy and no discharg woohoo

------------------

Old 08-12-2003, 12:17 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by normorcrazy:
Diflucan has been shown to kill off too much yeast causing a bacterial infection. If your discharge changes...most likely becoming yellowish and with an odor chances are that's what you have. If it does change in odor or consistancy you need to be re-evaluated prior to taking more medication.
A good thing to do when taking someting that kills the yeast is to take acidophilis capsules, this will keep the good bacteria going so you don't have the yeast killer killing everything and causing yet another problem.

Old 08-12-2003, 08:44 PM   #12
Senior Veteran

normorcrazy HB User
I'm just curious...do the acidophilis capsules come from somewhere like GNC? I've never heard of them and thankfully I haven't had bacteria or yeast in some time, but I know it's destined to happen again. What does it contain? Is it safe to use with other meds? Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer these questions.

Old 08-13-2003, 07:54 AM   #13
Inactive

Shel1974 HB User
I buy my acidophilus tablets right in the vitamin section at any store. Sometimes it can be hard to 'see' right away. I don't understand the order the stores decided to put them in, lol.

Old 08-13-2003, 08:21 AM   #14
Inactive

mlgable HB User
You can also get plenty of the same stuff by eating plenty of yogurt with live active cultures. You can also get the sprinkles that you keep in the fridge and sprinkle on your food. If you have trouble finding them in any store just ask at the pharmacy counter or ask a clerk and they will help you find acidohilis capsules etc.

Closed Thread