It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2003, 02:59 PM   #1
(female)

xBabyDeex HB User
Angry Vestibulitis

Hey I'm only 16 and have just been diagnosed with vestibulitis. I'm in my first relationship and can't have sex at all because it's so painful. It's not as bad as some of the cases I've heard about as it doesn't hurt in everyday circumstances-only when I attempt to have sex. However, I've read that the doctor is meant to take swabs before making the diagnosis to rule out any other infection, which she didn't do. What are the symptoms of thrush as I think I may have this. Also, has anyone else been diagnosed with vestibulitis and has anyone found any solutions to it or have any suspicions as to what causes it?? Any help would be appreciated as it is very very distressing and fustrating having this.

Old 08-11-2003, 05:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
I don't know anything about vestibulitis, but i've had numerous yeast infections over the years and the symptoms i get are not always the same. I always get a doctor to take an internal swab so that pathology can have it cultured to determine exactly what is going on internally.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2003, 02:54 AM   #3
(female)

xBabyDeex HB User
ok thanks. I've just been to the hospital and had some swabs taken to rule out infection. I'm hoping it is an infection rather than vestibulitis because at least an infection can be cleared up!!

Old 11-19-2003, 12:06 AM   #4
(female)

lexie3131 HB User
Hey XBaby,

I too have vestibulitis. I'm 32 years old. It started with me a year ago. I've looked up a lot of information on the internet. It took a long time for me to get diagnosed. Here are some things that are helping me: I always spray with a water bottle after I urinate. (I carry a very small one in my purse), I have also started taking Caltrate-calcium, I NEVER wash with soap in my vaginal area, I use Aveeno, I am also using a cream called Estrace at night before I go to bed. I am also taking Diflucan once a week for 2 mos, then I will drop my dosage down to just 2 per month. I also only use Maxi Pads that are cotton. (you might notice your symtoms will increase right before or right after your period) So far that has releived most of my symptoms. I still get a little sore after intercourse but nothing like before. This condition is very hard to diagnose and not a lot of people/Doctors know about it. From what I've read there is no cure. And they don't know what really causes (they have a lot of theories but nothing solid) Some examples are high oxalate levels in urine, and a harder to detect yeast (different from Candida). There are some good internet sites that give you a lot of information. If you have any other questions I'll try to answer them. Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xBabyDeex
Hey I'm only 16 and have just been diagnosed with vestibulitis. I'm in my first relationship and can't have sex at all because it's so painful. It's not as bad as some of the cases I've heard about as it doesn't hurt in everyday circumstances-only when I attempt to have sex. However, I've read that the doctor is meant to take swabs before making the diagnosis to rule out any other infection, which she didn't do. What are the symptoms of thrush as I think I may have this. Also, has anyone else been diagnosed with vestibulitis and has anyone found any solutions to it or have any suspicions as to what causes it?? Any help would be appreciated as it is very very distressing and fustrating having this.

Old 11-19-2003, 06:46 AM   #5
Inactive

ashpie HB User
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexie3131
Hey XBaby,

I too have vestibulitis. I'm 32 years old. It started with me a year ago. I've looked up a lot of information on the internet. It took a long time for me to get diagnosed. Here are some things that are helping me: I always spray with a water bottle after I urinate. (I carry a very small one in my purse), I have also started taking Caltrate-calcium, I NEVER wash with soap in my vaginal area, I use Aveeno, I am also using a cream called Estrace at night before I go to bed. I am also taking Diflucan once a week for 2 mos, then I will drop my dosage down to just 2 per month. I also only use Maxi Pads that are cotton. (you might notice your symtoms will increase right before or right after your period) So far that has releived most of my symptoms. I still get a little sore after intercourse but nothing like before. This condition is very hard to diagnose and not a lot of people/Doctors know about it. From what I've read there is no cure. And they don't know what really causes (they have a lot of theories but nothing solid) Some examples are high oxalate levels in urine, and a harder to detect yeast (different from Candida). There are some good internet sites that give you a lot of information. If you have any other questions I'll try to answer them. Hope this helps.

For the last year I have been having symptoms rawness, redness, burning and recently pain w/ intercourse..I had a yeast infection a month ago and I am still very irritated..my doctor just put me on steroid cream..I was wondering if I could have vestibulitis?? I have been to my gyn, a urologist, (ureathra always feels irritated) and have no answers..

Old 11-19-2003, 10:00 AM   #6
(female)

lexie3131 HB User
Did the doctor actually test you positive for yeast ? Or did they just use your symtoms you described and then say you have a yeast infection. That is what happened to me a lot..they just assumed I had a yeast infection. What I did was printed out a bunch of info from the internet..specifically from the American Family Physician site and I took the information into my OBgyn. They tested me for both yeast and bacteria...both negative. I went to the doctor when I had a "flare" up so they could see the red, raw skin.

Hope this helps !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpie
For the last year I have been having symptoms rawness, redness, burning and recently pain w/ intercourse..I had a yeast infection a month ago and I am still very irritated..my doctor just put me on steroid cream..I was wondering if I could have vestibulitis?? I have been to my gyn, a urologist, (ureathra always feels irritated) and have no answers..

Old 11-19-2003, 10:39 AM   #7
Inactive

ashpie HB User
Quote:
Did the doctor actually test you positive for yeast ? Or did they just use your symtoms you described and then say you have a yeast infection. That is what happened to me a lot..they just assumed I had a yeast infection. What I did was printed out a bunch of info from the internet..specifically from the American Family Physician site and I took the information into my OBgyn. They tested me for both yeast and bacteria...both negative. I went to the doctor when I had a "flare" up so they could see the red, raw skin.

Hope this helps !!!

last year when I was having symptoms I was swabbed and cultured and nothing was found..I went to a new doctor a few months ago for what he said was a yeast infection..I used diflucan but the irritated feeling has persisted..It burns when I sit and my pants ride up, when I have intercourse, when I wipe..I am now trying the steroid cream..the area inside my labia on the left side around my opening is red..

Old 11-19-2003, 11:58 PM   #8
(female)

lexie3131 HB User
Re: Vestibulitis

ashpie,

I would go back to the Doctor (it would be good if you could go when you can actually see the redness in the vestibule area (the opening of your vagina). Mine started out just like yours, red, sore, almost like a tear on the left side of my opening...that was a year ago when it started. It then graduated to that area as well as red, rawness inside my labia going up towards my clitoris and back towards my anus. It was blood red. I also had pressure like I had a UTI but no pain urinating..just the pain on the outside from the rawness. REQUEST TO BE CHECKED FOR BOTH BACTERIA AND YEAST. I too am using the steroid cream when needed, and Estrace cream when needed, as well as a cream that you insert into you that helps control acid in your vagina. Here are some things that you can do at home to help (it works for me):

NEVER use soap to wash your vaginal area (I don't let it near my vagina); I use aveeno.

Spray with a water bottle after you urinate.

Take a calcium pill-like caltrate

Use only maxi pads...No tampons..and the maxi pads should be made of cotton.

Don't wipe hard after urinating; spray with water and pat dry. Use unfragranced toilet paper.

Use laundry detergent like Purex...don't use bleach or fabric softner.

I don't sleep in underwear anymore.

..hopefully this will help you get some relief....especially the not using soap part, aveeno made a big diffrence in how much redness and rawness I had.

The creams that were prescribed to me are also helpful. The biggest help is I am on Diflucan for a long term basis..so far that is working; I keep my fingers crossed that it won't come back after I finish my treatment.

I've done a lot of research because VV is very frustrating. And even more so when I found out not a lot of Doctors are aware of this. I did make a vow to myself to try to educate as many people as possible on this unknown condition. I took information in to my Doctor and to the Doctors that mis-diagnosed me. A lot of women suffer from this some worse than others. Intercourse was impossible. I am now getting back to be active. I don't have full flare ups when having intercourse now but still get the soreness on the left side of my vestibule area.

GOOD LUCK!! I am thinking about you and praying for all women that suffer from this condition.

Quote:
last year when I was having symptoms I was swabbed and cultured and nothing was found..I went to a new doctor a few months ago for what he said was a yeast infection..I used diflucan but the irritated feeling has persisted..It burns when I sit and my pants ride up, when I have intercourse, when I wipe..I am now trying the steroid cream..the area inside my labia on the left side around my opening is red..

Old 11-20-2003, 10:08 AM   #9
Inactive

ashpie HB User

MY SYMPTOMS ARE EXACTLY LIKE YOURS!! SAME AREA AND EVERYTHING..DID THEY BIOPSY YOUR AREA?

Quote:
ashpie,

I would go back to the Doctor (it would be good if you could go when you can actually see the redness in the vestibule area (the opening of your vagina). Mine started out just like yours, red, sore, almost like a tear on the left side of my opening...that was a year ago when it started. It then graduated to that area as well as red, rawness inside my labia going up towards my clitoris and back towards my anus. It was blood red. I also had pressure like I had a UTI but no pain urinating..just the pain on the outside from the rawness. REQUEST TO BE CHECKED FOR BOTH BACTERIA AND YEAST. I too am using the steroid cream when needed, and Estrace cream when needed, as well as a cream that you insert into you that helps control acid in your vagina. Here are some things that you can do at home to help (it works for me):

NEVER use soap to wash your vaginal area (I don't let it near my vagina); I use aveeno.

Spray with a water bottle after you urinate.

Take a calcium pill-like caltrate

MY SYMPTOMS ARE EXACTLY LIKE YOURS!!! SAME SPOT EVERYTHING

Use only maxi pads...No tampons..and the maxi pads should be made of cotton.

Don't wipe hard after urinating; spray with water and pat dry. Use unfragranced toilet paper.

Use laundry detergent like Purex...don't use bleach or fabric softner.

I don't sleep in underwear anymore.

..hopefully this will help you get some relief....especially the not using soap part, aveeno made a big diffrence in how much redness and rawness I had.

The creams that were prescribed to me are also helpful. The biggest help is I am on Diflucan for a long term basis..so far that is working; I keep my fingers crossed that it won't come back after I finish my treatment.

I've done a lot of research because VV is very frustrating. And even more so when I found out not a lot of Doctors are aware of this. I did make a vow to myself to try to educate as many people as possible on this unknown condition. I took information in to my Doctor and to the Doctors that mis-diagnosed me. A lot of women suffer from this some worse than others. Intercourse was impossible. I am now getting back to be active. I don't have full flare ups when having intercourse now but still get the soreness on the left side of my vestibule area.

GOOD LUCK!! I am thinking about you and praying for all women that suffer from this condition.

Old 11-20-2003, 03:50 PM   #10
(female)

lexie3131 HB User

No, the doctor decided not to do a Biopsy.

I had already started the "at home" remedies and using a steroid cream when I went back to my return visit and a small amount of the redness had gone down. I went back on that second visit with my print outs on vestibulits and what had worked for other women based on my research. I more or less just took in a list of medicines, we picked 3 (Diflucan, Estrace, and Xylocaine jelly <makes intercourse less painful by numbing the area>) ---but make sure you tell your partner they too can become numb!! It might freak them out if they don't know (ha,ha). And I'm a lot better. It hasn't gone away completely. But I'm praying it will.

Another thing I did was cut out foods that I was eating frequently that was high in oxalate. Like blueberries. They think high oxalate levels in urine might have something to do with it..that's why I spray with a water bottle after I urinate. You can do a search on oxalate and will direct you to what types of foods are high.

If your doctor is not familiar with VV I would take information to him/her. And discuss this possibility. I am thinking about you and hope you find help. I know it can be very depressing, and cause physical pain. It can also be very hard on a relationship. Thank goodness my fiance' is very understanding.

If you have any other question just ask..I'll try to help. Let me know how you are doing and what you find out.

Quote:
MY SYMPTOMS ARE EXACTLY LIKE YOURS!! SAME AREA AND EVERYTHING..DID THEY BIOPSY YOUR AREA?

Old 08-29-2004, 09:50 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

~Tyger~ HB User

Hi everyone, I have just been diagnosed with this condition, vestibulitis.

I am terrified with the prospect of having to live with it for the rest of my life I'm only 20 years old, and sex is special and important to me and my boyfriend...I have a very active sexual apetite and I feel like a complete cripple with this condition

I am on a low-dose antidepressant medication called Amitriptyline which is supposed to work in some cases for nerve pain (which is what vestibulitis and vulvodynia are) but I've had no luck so far, and its all trial and error Has anyone had any other treatments for this condition that have worked? Will it EVER go away? *sob*

How are you all doing with this horrible condition? I'm in the same boat as you babydee, it doesn't hurt in other circumstances, just sex, and when I try to use tampons its uncomfortable. I hate this so much, I'm too young to have my life ruined by vestibulitis.

Tyger

Closed Thread