It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2003, 06:54 PM   #1

yoga1st HB User
Angry bleedingn to death once a month

I just had my 4th child 8 mths ago and now when I have my period for my second and third day I don't leave the house ~sorry for sharing to much info~~,, but I go thru a superplus tampon along with an overnight pad within an hour, I have had my tubes tiied and my ob put me on the pill to see if that would help but after a week of constant spotting and headaches I stopped taking the pill and ended up with 2 periods that month aarrgh~~
does anybody else have this problem? my periods are never on time either i probly have 10 a year,

Old 06-23-2003, 07:01 PM   #2
Inactive

mlgable HB User
You need to go back to the doc to try a different type of pill. Just becuase one didn't work doesn't mean something else won't work. See your doc for help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2003, 07:06 PM   #3

yoga1st HB User
I breastfeed so there was only one kind that I could take , its actually not so bad having to stay home those days ,its just so gross, because there is so much of it! and I am constantly in the bathroom changing pads and stuff yukk

Old 06-24-2003, 06:44 AM   #4
Inactive

girlygirly HB User
You may want to have your thyroid checked out. It is not too uncommon to start developing a thyroid problem after a pregnancy. When mine started I was having 2 periods a month (and one is surely enough!!) Periods are affected by thyroid inbalances. You can bleed heavier because of this and they can become irregular. You may want to go onto the thyroid board to see if you have any other symptoms.

Old 06-24-2003, 01:09 PM   #5
(female)

SuzyQPA2 HB User
Exclamation

here are a lot of reasons for abnormal bleeding. I did a ton of research on the internet while i was going through that and you should too.

My first problematic period i gushed so bad i went to the E.R. I was so faint from the loss of blood. My doctor got me to try the Nuvaring out as a method of controlling it. From what i read there are three main things that can reduce menstrual bleeding.

1. The Pill
2. NSAIDS (Ibuprofin - you'll have to look up the dosage on the internet and these are tough on the stomach)
3. Taking a calcium / magnesium supplement (i bought it but never ended up using it)

The nuvaring controlled the bleeding but it was too strong for me, also my period came early and still gushed a bit scaring me.

I then tried the patch (no good i hated it) for a week then ortho-tricyclen for the next two weeks. I spotted badly during this first period and my period was still heavy so they did an ultrasound, my uterus was 2inches thick (too thick), i got one done after my period and it was 1/2 inch thick (normal).

The next month on the ortho-tricyclen was normal (except when i forgot some pills - then i spotted a bit) hopefully my period will be better.

My problem was my hormonal balance, but there are other reasons for abnormal bleeding:

hyperplasia
menopause (too young prob)
cervical cancer
endometriosis?

i forget all the things i researched now Good luck

Old 06-24-2003, 01:12 PM   #6
(female)

SuzyQPA2 HB User
p.s.

My sister also had this problem but they determined it to be from low iron, she was anemic.

She got the shot (Depo Provera) because she was too weak to lose more blood. Now a year later she's doing better.

Apparently the low iron is a cycle thing, the low iron causes heavier periods in some cases and the heavier periods deplete the iron!

Old 06-24-2003, 03:40 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

Dianek HB User
Just know that you're not alone in the heavy period department. I've been like that since my second son was born and that was 16 years ago!

I've had a D & C; had benign polyps removed; and also have an enlarged uterus. Was put on Provera and that made no difference whatsoever.

My doctor says he doesn't do ablations anymore because the majority of his patients come back and say they have the same problem all over again.

I suggested a hysterectomy and have comtemplated having one over the last two years but always chicken out. I'm soon to be 48 and am hoping that menopause is on my doorstep.

Some months are worse than others. I can handle the heavy bleeding; I can't handle the passing of the clots when I'm not home...it's a nightmare.

Knock on wood, the past two cycles have been clot free. I do take ibuprofen and I think it helps considerably with the flow, but you have to start taking it before the flow gets heavy.

I also use a tampon made especially for those heavy days so they are better than the super plus. I know we're not to plug products, but I'm sure you'll know which brand I'm talking about. They have saved the day more than once with me.

Had my thyroid checked too as I do have a bit of a goiter and nodules. Had it checked extensively with the T3 & T4 tests and it came back normal.

Just counting the years until I'm done with this monthly headache.

Old 06-25-2003, 04:27 AM   #8
Inactive

girlygirly HB User
DianeK,

I also have a goiter and a nodule. My results were normal but I had many of the hypothyroid symptoms. Do not dismiss "normal" ranges. If you have a goiter and a nodule you have a thyroid problem. Your thyroid is enlarging because not enough hormone is being produced and the thyroid is tring to overcompensate for that, so it is growing. You need to see an endo. I am on a low dose of meds and I am doing much better. The ranges for TSH have changed this March, the new numbers are .03-3.0. Check your results against these also keep in mind that my first tsh was 2.2 and the second was 1.61. With meds I am at 1.5. Please really look into it and do not dismiss it. By the time your TSH is risen to above normal ranges it may have done alot of damage to your immune system.

[This message has been edited by girlygirly (edited 06-25-2003).]

Old 06-25-2003, 09:44 AM   #9

yoga1st HB User
I went into the thyroid board and really didn't understand it I will have to ask my doc about that
I am 31 and I do take calcium supplements but I have never heard of advil slowing the ~flow~ before I am sure its not cancer cause I had a pap after the baby was born, and isn't endometrtis sp? spose to be very painful? because then thats ruled out also,
thanks for all your responses~~
yoga

Old 06-25-2003, 03:01 PM   #10
(female)

hhsix HB User
Endometriosis was very painful for me, but it's not for everyone. Some people go in for other things & are told they have it.....Couldn't hurt to rule it out.

BTW, maybe I'm dense or maybe it's living in a tiny town, but what the heck is better than super-plus? Whatever it is, I NEED it! I've never seen anything like that around here.

Old 08-12-2003, 04:22 PM   #11

nowgimpy HB User
Amen to that...
What the heck is better than super plus???
I have to use two supers at a time. Yes, I am gifted I guess, but It is totally necessary if I am to live a semi-normal life during that time of the month.
I pray my daughter is not cursed with such a difficult "curse"!!!
I will have the ablation done next month!!!

Old 08-12-2003, 07:35 PM   #12

snowbug HB User
I have had horrible periods ever since my tubal ligation almost 3 years ago. I also have to run for the restroom every hour on the worst days. I did have a workup and was found to be anemic, but iron supplements haven't changed the periods much. I am at the point that I can't wait until menopause when all of this is OVER!!! The MDs thought they were going to have to remove my uterus when I had my last child, and now I wish to god they had!

Old 08-14-2003, 12:21 AM   #13

neuronz-on-the-fritz HB User
Geez, can I relate- I can't use tampons- if I sneeze they fly out from the heavy flow....have to use incontinent undergarments at night, or buy new sheets every month. I've never had kids, don't have tied tubes, am not on any BCPs, etc. Thyroid is ok. Have been on the pill, but due to bad veins, I decided the risk for stroke was too great. Had an ultrasound (gee, what a test....).... only showed endometrial thickening, a backwards ovary, a hidden ovary, and a tipped uterus (I told my doc it probably got tired of waiting, and went ahead and laid down.... thought he'd drop the ultrasound gizmo...). Never got a real answer, other than if I wanted a hysterectomy, he'd do it. No thanks....but at times, it does seem like an answer to one part of the problem.

Old 08-14-2003, 08:06 AM   #14

spinelady HB User
I so know what your talking about. I've been fighting with this for 15 years plus. I took the pill (5 different kinds) and it only made it worse. I got my tubes tied with a D&C and nothing. Then it was suggested to have an ablation done. I did alot of research and got several different opinions. It came down to 1) hormones 2) ablation or 3) hysterectomy. I went with the ablation, it was simple done in outpatient 2-3 days recovery. I still bleed about every third month and its 3-4 days long but its like 1/4 of bleeding. The down side is the cramping - its like I never had the surgery. But I so would rather take pain medication for a couple days out of the month then feel like I'm hemorrhaging every month for 2weeks or more. My cause is endometrosis. Although the surgery didn't cure everything it bought me some time before the hysterectomy. I hope your able to find some relief some where.

Old 08-14-2003, 02:40 PM   #15

yoga1st HB User
what is an ablation??
i did not know you could wear two tampons at a time i have heard of doubling up on pads but not tampons, i skipped mt period last mth its just as heavy this mth, its funny how starting your period can wake you up out of a dead sleep to bolt for the toilet,,i was thinking about trying those incontence sp? undies also ,, especially for night time to catch what the pad doesn't
don't you hate those people who tell you they rarely bleed and can use a panty liner!!
yoga

Closed Thread