It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2003, 02:02 PM   #1
(male)

gnin HB User
Post gyno?

When you go to a gyno, do they stick a finger up your butt? Is this routine for younger women, and why do they do this? Has anyone had this done to them?

[This message has been edited by gnin (edited 08-11-2003).]

Old 08-11-2003, 02:56 PM   #2
Veteran

strand3d HB User
I have never heard of this. I've been to the gyno several times and it has never happened to me. Sounds like a rumor to me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2003, 03:36 PM   #3

TroubledYouth HB User
definatly has never happend to me either...maybe its a different kind of dr you heard that about...check for cancer or what not...not really sure why a gyno would do that

------------------
-When life gives ya lemons, squeeze em in someones eye until you feel better-

Old 08-12-2003, 12:21 AM   #4

JessicaEnig1 HB User
Some gyns do some dont i have had 3 and 1 did and the others didnt i dont know why they do i guess checking for hurnia (sp?) or something and i know my sister just had a baby and everythine she went to her OBGYN the did it everytime.
It doesent hurt just unconfortable kind of like a papsmeir hope it helps but its nothing to worry about its over before u know it plus most docs. done even do it inless you complaine about something wrong... i bet if u ask her not to she wont
Hope this helps ~Jess

Old 08-12-2003, 09:08 AM   #5
Inactive

Shel1974 HB User
My older doctor used to do this to me at every yearly. My new doctor does not. My old doctor was also older and this one is younger, don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Old 08-13-2003, 12:51 AM   #6
(female)

tpopescu HB User
One out of my five gyno doctors did this and it is not that bad. The pap smear is worse. They do it to check for cysts and cancer. The doctor who did this on me was young and was always very thorough in everything she did on me. I actually wish my other doctors were as thorough. I was only 21 at the time and had never had any abnormals so there wasn't another reason for this. I think it just depends on how each is trained. Don't worry if it happens, it's not that bad and it's better to detect something early on than be sorry.

Old 08-13-2003, 07:30 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

Dianek HB User
That is pretty much the routine from a gynocologist if you're over 40. They're checking for blood and growths in the rectum. It's no big deal, and men have it done also when the doctor checks the prostate.

Old 08-13-2003, 08:13 AM   #8
Inactive

mlgable HB User
The are looking for things like internal hemorrhoids and poloyps when they do a rectal exam as well as checking for other things. They may also check for occult blood in the stool then too. My health care providers have never done a rectal exam but I know some do.

Old 08-14-2003, 06:31 PM   #9
(male)

gnin HB User
bump

Old 08-14-2003, 09:25 PM   #10
Senior Veteran

normorcrazy HB User
Usually when you are younger it's only done if they suspect some type of bleeding into the caldesac. This is a space behind the uterus. They can also get a better feel of the back of the uterus by doing this. As someone already stated, as you get older they do it annually to look for blood in the stool.

Old 08-14-2003, 09:35 PM   #11

shadepra HB User
I've read that doctors can feel the ovaries better by examining through the rectum, so they are better able to detect any ovarian abnormalities, such as tumors or enlargement.

A doctor that includes this rectal exam is a very thorough doctor--hang onto him/her!

Closed Thread