It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2003, 06:53 AM   #1

Emi001 HB User
Post Weight gain and the pill!

I need advice!
I started the pill over amonth ago. I feel soooooo fat and I gained 5lbs. I called my Dr and she said it's all water. She said she hate to change brands since it's only been a month since started this one.
Few days later I just can't take the water weight around my stomach!
So I called again but she was off so she's going to call on Monday.
Anyway my ? is.. is there anything I can do other than drinking water?
I took pamprin just for today to get my water out.
Anyone know???
Thanks for reading.

Old 08-01-2003, 07:08 AM   #2
Veteran

jessilynn68 HB User
All this over 5 lbs? Goodness. Just make sure to avoid sodas and salty stuff, as those can make you retain water. You probably lose and gain the same every month already, and just had the suggestion of weight gain in yourmind since you started the pill.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2003, 07:15 AM   #3

Emi001 HB User

It's not Really about the "5 Lbs"
I just feel like crap carrying all this water weight cuz it feels like 20 lbs!
I just got done Radioactive Iodin for my Overactive Thyroid so one I get my thyroid underactive I dont want to gain anymore weight than I have to.

Old 08-01-2003, 08:44 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

PaNik5717 HB User
I agree with Jessilynn. I see so many women complain about weight gain from any change in medication, but I have also seen a lot of studies that say that weight gain with the pill is the same as with a placebo. So, basically, women just tend to gain weight and blame it on pills or anything else they can.

I've never been bothered enough by bloating to try to combat it - even on up to six birth control pills a day - but I am sure that limiting salt intake and caffeine will help especially since you can tell that it is just water weight.

Most of the men I know find us the most sexy at this time when we all look in the mirror and see something totally scary.

Old 08-01-2003, 09:12 AM   #5
Veteran

jessilynn68 HB User
I understand the feeling like crap, but the way to do it is exercise and watching what you put in your body. Pamprin and diuretics are not the way to go, especially with other conditions like you have.

And you probably won't go from an overactive thyroid to an underactive one. The radioactive iodine is designed to get your thyroid functioning within normal limits, not below. I understand being concerned about weight loss, but with your history of thyroid problems, I'd say you have bigger worries than 5 lbs.

Old 08-01-2003, 10:03 AM   #6

Emi001 HB User

First of all I'm seeing a Thyroid Dr and he's the one who told me the iodine is going to Kill my thyroid and it take a few months to makes it underactive. THEN I get to take med to make my levle reg. So in the mean time I have to go through all these changes with my body.

And about the 5 lbs... I don't understand why people are stuck on that #... that's what I gained and I'm just telling it cuz that's my story. I talked to my OB and she said If there's a problem with my feet swelling then I need to talk to her. so I just called.

I just wanted some info on how to get rid of this water. And about the pamprin i took just for today cuz I had back pain and i was told I could take that.

And I do work out and watch what i eat. It's not really about my weight gain cuz if it was I would be in another Board talking about it.
I guess you missed my point.

Old 08-02-2003, 10:29 PM   #7
Inactive

pamela3870 HB User
Hi, I am new to the boards. Emi001, your concerns are very valid IMHO. I just started taking Ovcon 35 one week ago, and have taken other pills before with horrible luck over the years. I am in perimenopause (42), and facing a possible surgery if this pill doesn't work. I have been told I have endo (went through infertility 11 years ago after successful pregancies), and have messed up hormones. And, I have gained 30 pounds in the last 10 years.

I share your weight concerns!! I tend to hold a lot of water, and five extra water pounds on me makes me feel terrible. I started Weight Watchers one month ago, and have lost almost 8 pounds so far. I even lost weight the last week on this pill. I will say I've been feeling nauseated more, therefore, I don't want to eat as much. However, I am sticking with my points and eating less salty foods. I have also been using Aqua Ban periodically to help control the water gain. This combo has been working great so far. Hopefully, the side effects will diminish, and I won't have to take Aqua Ban. I take only 1 or 2 water pills a day, and today I haven't needed any. I also exercise, so that has been helpful.

I hope not to offend any of the other posters here, but I felt bad for Emi001 after reading some of the replies. This is a genuine concern she has over her symptoms, and while it may not seem bad to you, it is valid for her. Perhaps the written word can come across harsh sometimes b/c we cannot see the facial expression or body language of the person writing. Empathy can go a long way in helping someone while offering good suggestions.

I hope the Ovicon works for you. Good luck!

Old 08-02-2003, 10:35 PM   #8
Inactive

pamela3870 HB User
I forgot to say....I also am trying to drink lots more water. It's hard sometimes! I also don't drink anything with caffeine in it as it makes me feel alot worse. Our WW journals have a checklist to help keep track of water intake, fruits and veggies, and milk. I think the "diet" has really helped alot. I don't want to say "diet" b/c it's really a more healthy way to eat.

Old 08-02-2003, 10:44 PM   #9
Veteran

strand3d HB User
Sadly some women do gain weight on the pill. I've heard Yasmin is good if you want to avoid weight gain, you might try that brand if you're really worried about it.

Old 08-03-2003, 07:28 AM   #10

Emi001 HB User

Pamela Thank you so much for the nice reply! Nice to know you know where I'm coming from.
I don't go to weight watcher's but I do the points at home.
MY Dr is going to call me on Monday so I will talk to her about all what I am going through.
I have one daughter and after she was born, i took the pill for about 2months. Then now.. so it's only been 2 times in my life with the pill.
It's nice my period is on time but I rather not feel all this..lol
Anyway thank you

Old 08-03-2003, 07:30 AM   #11

Emi001 HB User
Thank you Strand3D for the reply. I will look into that : )

Old 08-03-2003, 08:25 AM   #12
Inactive

pamela3870 HB User
Smile

You're welcome! A thought about Yasmine....this particular BCP has a progestin that works as a diuretic. In addition, dosages of the synthetic estrogen and progestins, types and strengths vary. That in turn can result in varying side effects. For me, any BCP that is higher in progestin and lower in estrogen is disastrous. Because I am in perimenopause, my estrogen is naturally declining, and I need to replace that. Pills with a higher progestin makes my symptoms much worse. Ovcon 35 has a moderate dosage of synthetic estrogen, and a very low dose of progestin. In fact, it's the lowest dose pill offered (as far as I know) for progestin. So far, I've been able to tolerate this pill for a week, the longest I've gone! Another way I think about this is when do I feel the best in my cyle. I feel the best in the beginning, several days after starting my period. That's when estrogen is the dominant hormone and progesterone is almost non-existant. After ovulation, progesterone kicks in and that's when I get the horrible symptoms. Estrogen gets put in the background for me! So, b/c Ovcon 35 has a higher estrogen/lower progestin combo, it seems it would be the best one for me. The multi-phase pills also wreaked havoc for my system.

Everyone reacts differently to pills and what works for me may not work for you. This is just my experience so far. For me, this is the last stop or I have to have surgery. One more thing, it drives me crazy when docs say "you are too young to be going through this. Hello?? They are usually the younger docs My mom was finished by age 46.

Let me know what your doc has to say tomorrow. Good luck!

[This message has been edited by moderator1 (edited 09-04-2003).]

Old 08-03-2003, 10:17 AM   #13
Veteran

jessilynn68 HB User
I am sorry if I offended anyone - that certainly wasn't my intent.

I don't think you mentioned feet swelling in your first post, or I would have responded differently. If your feet are swelling, or your hands, then the problem is different than just gaining 5 lbs. What did your doc say?

I am not on the pill at the moment - getting ready for a hysterectomy in 15 days - but I did have the problem with feet and hand swelling, especially on hot days. I never really did find a good solution. Good luck to you, and I hope your doc offered a good solution.

Old 08-03-2003, 12:04 PM   #14

Emi001 HB User
Thanks again for the info pamela!
And Jess sorry to hear about you having to go through all that!

Forme, It's not my choice at all to be in the pill. my Thyroid Dr Said I Have to be on it cuz he doesn;t want me to get prego while I'm doing the iodine treatment.

Only good thing about the pill to me is I Get my period every month on time. and easy to keep track.

At fist I thought something was worng with me since i stopped getting my period for 6 months.

I went to see this one Dr who she said I need to do a Biopsy! I was like NO! My Gut said no. She didn't even do any blood test or anything.
So I changed Dr 's and went to the nice guy Dr. She said Biopsy is not for me and ran some tests.
Well It was the Over active thyroid that was making me not get my period!

Anyway since the pill I got it but the things I'm feeling is unreal.
I fit Reg in y clothes but Water weight and puffyness is making me crazy.

My Guy Dr Left the Co he was with so I'm with this other Dr. She's nice.
Never met her but Talked over the phone.
She's going to call me tomorrow so I can tell her all that I'm going throug.

She was off on Frieday. When I called the Nurse was like She's not here so either get off the pill or try to drink more water. And if it gets wose go to the ER.
I'm like Nooo i'm not getting off the pill and mess up my cycle just cuz you don't know what you're talking about..lol
I will mention that to my Dr tho.
I don't think the nurse came tell me to get off a pill with out talking to the Dr no?

ANyway thanks all for the reply.

Old 08-03-2003, 07:07 PM   #15
Senior Veteran

PaNik5717 HB User
Hi Emi,

I wasn't trying to be rude, either. Sorry if it came off that way. I'm a little bloated right now and had someone tell me yesterday - a woman - how great I look in spite of all of my medical problems and how bad I feel. Fortunately, I expect my bloating to go away in a few days when my body realizes that it isn't going to get to have a real period since I am on continuous doses of 2 Yasmin everyday. I doubt I have any blood left in me since I have been bleeding every day pretty much all summer.

Please know that my response was to let you know that we do empathize. My mom and I get swollen hands when we walk. We usually associate it with dehydration, but a good doc should be able to tell you more. My bloating is usually temporary although my weight gain this year hasn't been and I am not strong enough to exercise much right now. I have never tried to get rid of the bloating - my random bleeding and nausea when I PMS have been more significant. Maybe things will improve when you talk to the doc or when your thyroid health gets better.

Sorry if anything I said seemed insensitive. Just wanted to let you know there may be a psychological component. I know others think I look good and even my skin tone looks bad to me at certain times of the month.

Closed Thread