It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2003, 10:38 AM   #1

penguin chick HB User
Post Has an pill helped your skin?!

I'm finishing up the third week on ortho-tricyclen. Not sexually active, main reason taking the pill to clear up my skin. I'm also close to my 6th week on retin-a (generic) and still have some painful cysts on my forehead. Because I'm combining retin-a and ortho-tricyclen I can't tell if either one is actually making my skin WORSE.
Anyway, has any birth control pill actually WORKED for any of you? I know about women that were clear and went on ortho-tricyclen and developed acne. BUT for those of you that started it with moderate acne, or ANY pill any success stories? How long did it take?

Please get back to me, I'll feel completely ridiculous if I'm taking a pill to do one thing and it's doing the complete opposite.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2003, 02:44 PM   #2
Veteran

strand3d HB User
I was on ortho tri cyclen for about a year, i didn't take it to fix my skin just because i was sexually active. It takes about three to five months for it to totally take effect, or that's what i've noticed with most girls. My skin was great on it, i didn't have bad acne, but i did have a few breakouts which i hated. Three weeks isn't enough time to see a change in your skin, give it a few months and if nothing clears up, try something else. But with both ortho and your acne medicine, i think your skin should clear right up.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2003, 05:36 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

scotianprincess HB User
I have been usuing DIANNE 35 for years now and the reason I started using it was b/c of acne...It has helped IMMENSELY. I rarely get a pimple now (even when I am about to start my period!!!), and it has been that way since a few months after I started taking that particuliar pill. I was on ortho tricyclen for the same reason, didn't get the same results at all....
so I recommend DIANNE. It may not work for everyone, but ya never know!!!

Old 08-14-2003, 01:27 AM   #4

I AM ALWASY CONFUSED HB User
I have been using the same pill too, not for my face or brthcontrol specifically but for another reasno and to be honest with you it has helped me clear my skin up a great deal but yoy ave to realize is that every body have diferent reactions to everything to take the pill s just for your skin may not be the answer i suggest going to a dermetologist for help. good luck

------------------
hey this is me, so confused, Thanx

Old 08-14-2003, 01:40 AM   #5

penguin chick HB User
I'm going to go ahead and stay on ortho tri-cyclen for another 2 months for a total of 3 months. If after the 3 months there is no progress whatsoever on my skin I'll switch to Yasmin or Dianne-35, heard wonderful things about both.
From the first time I took retin-a I understood that anything worth it takes time, so giving 3 months to Ortho Tri-cyclen may be worth it after all.

Thanks for the replies, keep 'em coming!

------------------
Anything worth it takes time.

Old 08-14-2003, 09:35 PM   #6

crystalline HB User
it usually takes about three months for ortho tri cyclen pills to clear up skin.
also, retin-a tends to make things worse before it makes them better...i used to be on it. but in the end, it is great stuff!!

Old 08-15-2003, 06:32 PM   #7

Tyger HB User
Hi there!!

I'm on Diane 35, and love it! Its cleared my skin up immensly as well, I still get the occasional pimples when I eat too many fried foods etc. But otherwise Diane has been a wonder-drug. I take it for contraception however.
I tried Yasmin, it just gave me MORE pimples though.

Good luck finding what works for you!

Tyger.

Old 08-16-2003, 12:12 AM   #8

linzy1612 HB User
I was on orth-tri cyclen for about a 14 months and it helped my skin so much. I didn't have really bad acne, just mild, but after about 5 months on the pill I was totally cleared up. A zit still appears every once and awhile, but it wasnt as bad as before. About two months ago I switched to the patch, and my skin has stayed the same, so I'm glad that this is working for my skin also.

Old 08-18-2003, 02:37 AM   #9

*Elle* HB User
I would do some research before taking Diane, I have no personal experience with it, but I was watching Dateline, or one of those other news shows and it did a story on it, and apparently that pill causes a platlete problem and women are dying from it. I don't know how acurate that is, just keep it in mind, clear skin is never worth that.

Elle

Old 08-18-2003, 03:43 AM   #10
Veteran

TimDream HB User
Lightbulb

Yasmin cleared my skin in 4 months.

OTC-Lo is keeping it clear.

Old 08-19-2003, 03:55 PM   #11
Veteran

Citykittie HB User
well after reading all the positive posts I have talked to my doctor about starting Ortho-cyclen this Sunday.

I am a little scared. I have not been on pills for about 3 years now. I did the shot then nothing for a while.

I just hope i don't get weight gain.

Old 08-19-2003, 04:57 PM   #12

marisalenore HB User
Cool

hey! i did the same thing- i was on OTC for 2 years and the first months i went on it i noticed that my acne got a little worse. i had been using the retin-a before OTC and it was too harsh when combined with OTC so i quit the retin-a and stuck with the pill. eventually i had a super clear face, along with lots of weight gain and severe mood swings- so moral of the story- OTC worked great by itself for my zits- but not so much for my moods! haha! good luck though- try not using the retin-a - its really harsh. my doctor told me to just use a simple anti bacterial soap like dial rather than the fancy face washes. good luck!

Old 08-20-2003, 10:25 AM   #13

unbroken HB User
Thumbs up

my skin is always perfect... maybe a pimple or two around my period but if i dont play with them they go away quickly!

i recommend.

Old 08-20-2003, 10:57 AM   #14
Inactive

girlygirly HB User
Bad skin is a symptom of something that is wrong. It could very well be a vitamin or mineral deficiency. Zinc supplements can clear up acne, as well as some of the b vitamins. You might want to reconsider taking hormones to fix another problem as these hormones do not come without risks, very dangerous risks.

Closed Thread