It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2003, 08:47 AM   #1

willow24 HB User
Angry PMS HELP without PROZAC

I am 24 years old and have had one child-I never experienced pms until after i had my daughter. It is the worst thing ever! I recently went to my doctor and explained how i feel exactly one week prior to menstruating; AWFUL-like my whole world is crashing down. She prescribed me SARAFEM which is really 20mg of PROZAC.I am supposed to take it everyday. I started taking it 4 weeks ago and since have not felt like myself. And it didnt help with my PMS but I dont think it was in my system long enough. (about 2 weeks). I havent taken the Prozac since Monday morning and I feel fine. I am feeling like myself again. I tried Evening Primrose Oil, but after taking it for a couple weeks got impatient with no results- I dont think I gave it a chance. Does it actually work? and are there any other alternative remedies for PMS?

Old 08-20-2003, 11:09 PM   #2

taranino HB User
Smile

Yes, please try natural methods. Prozak type drugs make you into another person!! SO what if it is prescription....it's still a mind altering DRUG, Yuck! Get some Clary Sage essential oil. It helps balance estrogen levels and calms moods. Blend it with some almond oil or something for a massage or just put a little straight on your pressure points. Also most health food stores carry some type of PMS tea. I use that and take a pill form herbal mixture of (cramp bark, dong quai root, chaste berry) Also Kava Kava tincture is a natural "prozac" kind of herb. All these things help me!! Good Luck and God Bless!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2003, 07:08 AM   #3

willow24 HB User
Smile

YES! Prozac is evil! I started taking the evening primrose oil again, but I will certainly take your advice and look for some of the other natural remedies.Thank you so much

Old 08-21-2003, 09:43 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

Ok. You need to try to regulate your hormones to help PMS.

You can do this by taking Vitamin B6, Vitamin B complex including 12. There is another herbal remedy called Agnus Castus, which is Vitex and this can help regulate your hormones.

Evening Primrose Oil does work, but you need to take it on a regular basis so that it has a chance to build up in your system.

There is also Peppermint tea and Chamomile tea for cramps and you could include more Soya in your diet as this also helps to regulate hormones. You should also cut coffee and soda from your diet before your period and limit your salt intake. This all affects things and can make your worse premenstrurally.

Acupuncture treatment is also good and you could consider this. It helps with PMS but also helps with any cramps during your period too.

Another alternative is homeopathy and these remedies can help very well with both PMS and cramps. You would need to go and see a homeopath though.

Good luck

Old 08-21-2003, 10:10 AM   #5

willow24 HB User
I appreciate the advice.. You never know what to believe -and doctors can be misleading.

Closed Thread