It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2003, 06:47 AM   #1

familyfull HB User
Exclamation I'm Peeing RED (BLOOD)!!!!how bad is that?

I've already called in and gotten a prescription for Keflex to pick up in 6 hours!!!!

Buy my GOD, isn't bad to be urinating red blood basically???? I mean it's as if I'm on my period and I'm in so much pain. Am I overreacting?

I know I can always go to the ER, but is this my pain that is ruling my judgment here?

Old 08-21-2003, 06:51 AM   #2

Thumper3172 HB User
Anytime you have Blood in your Urine you should high tail it ASAP to your Doctor.

It could be irritation,something you've eaten such as Beets or a severe bladder Infect or Kidney Infect.You do NOT want to pu$$y foot around with a Kidney Infect,it can get into your blood stream and make you one sick familyfull...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2003, 07:33 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Blastoff9600 HB UserBlastoff9600 HB User
Go to the ER if your doctor's off ice isnt open. You need to be seen and treated for this. It coudl be an infection,kidney stones, or any number of things. The only way to know for sure is to GET SEEN. Calling and just getting some prescription may not help you. They could be treating the wrong thing that way and things could get alot worse.
TTC #3 since 01/02

Old 08-21-2003, 07:44 AM   #4

Vlasik HB User
You should go to the ER ASAP. Blood in the urine means that something is wrong(kidney and/or blader infection)and you should not wait. They need to find out exactly what it is so that they mey give you the right medication for it. Please do not wait to get to a doctor. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Old 08-21-2003, 08:39 AM   #5
Inactive

mlgable HB User
Blood in the urine is just a sign of a UTI and not a major problem so long as the doc has an antibiotic ordered. My concern is he called in a script without even doing a urinalysis, culture and sensitivity. How does he know what bacteria is causing your UTI? Also I am unsure why you say you need to wait 6 hours to pick up the medication? I would call your pharmacy and tell them you need it ASAP. In the meantime drink as much water as you can to help dilute your urine and take something for pain to help with that. If you are worried or concerned because the doc didn't so the proper testing then go to the ER and get a second opinion. Urinating blood is not a major problem when you have a known urinary tract infection but it does bear watching.

Old 08-21-2003, 11:27 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Blastoff9600 HB UserBlastoff9600 HB User
Mlgable,I always love your advice because it tends to be right on the money. But I have to say that peeing blood doesnt always mean it is just an UTI. It can also mean kidney stones. I found that one out the hard way. I had severe pain and when I actually could move to go to the bathroom it was mostly blood that came out. A UTI was ruled out at the ER and x-rays showed some stones. So it could be more than a UTI.

[This message has been edited by Blastoff9600 (edited 08-21-2003).]
TTC #3 since 01/02

Old 08-21-2003, 12:32 PM   #7

ozenne HB User
Yeah, peeing blood is most definately a bad sign. I'd haul off to the ER if I were you. Like other people have mentioned, that could be a kidney stone, especially if it's painful like that.

Old 08-21-2003, 02:12 PM   #8
Inactive

DanaJ HB User
Usually it does mean a UTI.
I've also found it to mean bladder stones in animals. (Sorry, I am in the veterinary field.... and there are a lot of similarities too lol).
I'm also concerned that he didn't even do a UA or anyting, before prescribing.

Old 08-21-2003, 02:51 PM   #9

Pandabaire3 HB User
I've had bladder infections on and off in my life - probably about 8 to 10 times in total (have one currently in fact). In my experience, if it gets to the point that there is reddish tinge in my urine or I have back pain - it's gotten to my kidney's. I've ALWAYS been seen by a doc and given a culture in every case. In all cases I've been prescribed Cipro.

About 3 years ago I went to my clinic and was seen by an Indian doctor who could barely speak english (she was the only one on call at that time). I told her about my past and asked for Cipro. She prescribed some other medicine I had never heard of and after a day I felt worse than when I had gone in! I called her to let her know I could barely get out of bed and she said to "just give it more time". I had to pack to leave for San Francisco in 9 hours and I could barely walk!! The plane trip was agony....when I got to the hotel, I called my clinic to say I was ticked off at the doctor because whatever she gave me wasn't working...the nurse on duty looked at my chart and told me that the doctor prescribed me a medicine that WASN'T EVEN EFFECTIVE FOR MY STRAIN OF BACTERIA!!!! They called in a prescription of Cipro to the nearest pharmacy and I was ok then. They must've called me 5 times during my trip and after I returned home to see how I was doing! Wonder if I could've sued for damages or sumthin?..lol

Old 08-21-2003, 04:55 PM   #10

familyfull HB User
I got my presicription at around noon my time today. You know Kaiser....this is something they don't even routinely make an appt. for these days. Seriously. And I was going out of my mind that she was telling me that it would be 6 hours.

The nurse gave me the scrip and she did tell me that blood in urine, along with my lack of other symptons, was not as big as a deal as I was thinking it should be. She told me that it hurt so much because my urine was so concentrated (with the bacteria) after going from holding it all night. That drinking lots and lots of water would dilute that and to go as often as I felt that burning urge, even if it was 2 drops, because that helps flush out the bacteria.

Anyway, I was nervous too, because it seems that as time goes on I have become allergic to the most common antibiotics used to treat UTI's (and other things in general). I did discuss this with the nurse and apparently she informed me that they commonly prescribe 4 different types of drugs for UTIS. Did U know that?(penicillin, septra, keflex and/or some other family of medicines.) Also, I didn't realize, from reading the posts, that the different meds treat the different bacterias (I know I sound silly, but I thought whichever med. would kill off any bacteria)--I'll remember that one for sure!

I have to tell you that drinking water helped so much with the pain, but not so much with the blood part. I am taking the prescription. Thank you all for your input .

Old 08-21-2003, 06:43 PM   #11
(female)

Vivian HB User
Question

My son had blood in his urine on two different occassions. We had all these tests done and everything was fine. The urologist asked me if he had been drinking a lot of iced tea the day before. My son rarely drinks iced tea, but he did have a few glasses of it on the day before the blood appeared. The Dr. said that drinking a lot of iced tea causes crystals to form. I've only spoken to one man whose Dr. told him the same thing. I was wondering if anyone else heard of this?

Old 08-21-2003, 11:29 PM   #12
Inactive

mlgable HB User
Sorry for being misleading in saying that blood usually means a UTI. I should have stated that passing bloody urine when you have a UTI is not uncommon. I am well aware that blood in the urine can mean other things but usually if it is caused by a UTI it will clear up with antibiotics. Obviously if there are other symptoms or increased pain etc with the bloody urine then this should be checked by the doc. When a urinalysis is done you usually have red blood cells noted in the urine even the urine isn't blood tinged.

Closed Thread