It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2003, 12:12 AM   #1

2qt4u85 HB User
Angry my period wont stop!!!!

hi, i started taking my first pack of mircette birth control pills 12 days ago on the same day my period started. 12 days later i still have my period!! they normally only last 5-7 days. Anyways, the first 7 days were normal as usual, and by day 7 i thought it was practically over(just a little dry blood, barly any). Then later that night it started up again at a regular flow as if my period just started! Then today I thought it was over again, it was extremly light, and just a little brown blood. Then! it started again earlier tonight! This is ridiculous, I've been on my period for 12 days now, and i just want it to stop! I was wondering if anyone new what might be causing my extremely long period, if there might be a problem, and when my period might stop! Please help, i can't take it any more!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2003, 04:57 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Lindarella HB User
It's likely that you'll need your birth control changed. The pill comes in many different forms, each with slightly differing amounts of hormones. These hormones regulate how they work. Since each of us are a bit different though, what works for one person, won't necessarily work for the next.

Call up the place that prescribed them too you and explain your situation. They'll probably want to see you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2003, 06:04 AM   #3
Veteran

jessilynn68 HB User
I totally agree with what Lindarella says. It seems obvious this pill isn't going to work for you, and you will likely need to try another. Call the doc, and get seen. Good luck.

Old 08-01-2003, 09:30 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

PaNik5717 HB User
Hey Too Cute:

I just wanted to let you know you are not alone. I have been bleeding since the beginning of July. Yesterday, I took joy in hanging out in my house without a tampon or a pantyliner. I had been on continuous doses of Yasmin - two a day - and I stopped to have my period in July. Then, it almost stopped and started again and has been doing that for a month. Yesterday was the longest day of not bleeding, but it started again about 4:30 and stopped and then started again this morning.

I have had a lot of recommendations about what to do, but it still hasn't stopped yet. Of course, the obvious is to switch pills or to suffer through three months of it to see if things improve. If you have similar problems on all pills, like I do, maybe you should ask for an ultrasound to see what your uterus and uterine lining looks like and/or a hormone test to see what your natural hormone levels looks like.

Old 08-01-2003, 10:20 AM   #5

2qt4u85 HB User
hey everyone thank you so much for your replies, if any one else has a suggestion please post!, A special thanx to panik! At least i'm not alone. Have you talked to your doctor at all about this? And if so did he recomed you go off the pills or what? I'm sorry you've had yours since july, i hope mine stops soon, i'm really agrivated!!!

Old 08-01-2003, 11:43 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

PaNik5717 HB User
I have talked to my doc a lot about this. I am also getting a new doc because of it - a whole team perhaps. He has been really good to me, but he has simply encouraged me to take more pills. He seems to be lost as to what to do for me, though, or what the actual problem is. He's resigned himself to treating the symptom of the bleeding and even that isn't working this month. He offered me sleeping pills the last time I was there so I could sleep through the bleeding. Yuck! The sad part was that my bleeding stopped for the short time that I was on his table and started again right after I left.

I guess it depends what you're on this pill for and if you want to wait it out and see if it ends up working for you. The first few months can always be rough. Other pills may work better for you. I know I have had success with new pills and then I adjust to them after about 8 or 9 months. That's not the case with my new pills, but I get the feeling something serious is wrong with me and no pill will fix it. I'm committed to going through whatever tests it takes ot figure out why it is happening. Once I know, I will let you know. I hope your doesn't cause you as much trouble. Maybe yours will stop before mine does.

Old 08-01-2003, 04:33 PM   #7

2qt4u85 HB User
hey panik! thanx again, i just called my doctor and he said to up to dosage.. I hope this works, he is going to prescribe me diff pills though. I was wondering if you ever thought of taking the shot, i heard that can stop your periods completly?

Old 08-01-2003, 04:47 PM   #8
Senior Veteran

PaNik5717 HB User
My doc offered me the shot or an IUD recently. The problem with the shot is that it can stop periods, but it can also cause lots of bleeding. It's not like you can stop taking it, either. You're stuck with it for three months and you don't know how you will react until then. And, the IUD can stop periods after about a year. I don't know if the risk of IUDs are worth waiting a year for my period to stop. Really, I think all of this bleeding is a symptom of something and treating the bleeding isn't enough for me anymore. I need to know what's wrong so I can treat that.

Now, I think I may have a UTI from wearing pads all the time. I hope it's just paranoia because I'm not ready to see that doc again. I just want to wait until my PCP and her colleagues decide who gets to make me their pincushion next.

Upping your dosage sounds about right. That's what they did to me. My mistake was probably stopping to have a period. Once I started spotting, it seemed like my body wanted to drain itself so I stopped the pills for a week and I haven't had a day without some blood since. I hope your new dose helps you. Let us know.

Old 08-01-2003, 10:46 PM   #9

ALEXA79 HB User
Hello everyone...I'm new here, I too have experienced this problem and it started after I had my child
almost eight years ago,every period wasn't long but after a few years I would get terrible cramping and looong periods.One period lasted about a whole month and so I went for ultrasounds ect. Finally I was told that I had fibroid tumors (they can go away on their own) and I was told that the fibroids were probably what was causing the irregular bleeding.
But they went away and my periods are still irregular,
I have tried switching Birth control pills and that did
help regulate everything.I was also told that losing weight could help to get my cycle back on track.(working on that)
Only thing now is that I want to conceive soon so I have to just wait it out and try to figure out when I am ovulating...which can be confusing since my periods are irregular.
But for anyone who isn't trying to conceive, the birth control pills may be a solution...everyones body is different.Good luck!

Old 08-02-2003, 11:48 PM   #10
Veteran

strand3d HB User
What you're experiencing is very normal. When you first start a birth contorol having a longer than normal period, or 'breath through bleeding' is totally normal. I know it's annoying, but try and stick it out, your period should go away before your pack is over with, and the next pack you shouldn't have any problems. If you don't stop bleeding, or it continues to be heavy, call your doctor and ask to change brands. Mircette is a very low dose pill, so breakthrough bleeding is very common, and to prevent that you'll need a higher dose pill.

Old 08-03-2003, 11:20 AM   #11

2qt4u85 HB User
Thanks everyone!

Old 08-04-2003, 04:46 PM   #12
Senior Veteran

PaNik5717 HB User
Hey Too Cute:

How are you feeling? Did you raise your dosage this month or will you wait to start another pack? I just finished two packs of Yasmin which is three weeks for me. Yesterday I didn't bleed at all. So things have slowed a lot, but I had some spotting earlier and I have a really active day planned tomorrow which could trigger heavy bleeding again. I thought it was such irony that I had my first day of not bleeding on the day that I would normally be taking my placebo pills and preparing to bleed. I'll let you know what happens when I finally get in to see a new doc.

Old 08-06-2003, 01:03 AM   #13

2qt4u85 HB User
hey panik!
i finally stopped bleeding yesturday, it's great. Right now i'm still taking two a day because I haven't called my doctor. He said he was going to change the pills, but i'm afraid if i change them i'll start bleeding again for another 2 weeks!! How has it worked for you when u changed them? Thanx again for all your help I really appreciate it!! And good luck with u, and i'm really glad to hear you finally stopped too!!

Old 08-06-2003, 08:20 AM   #14
Senior Veteran

PaNik5717 HB User
Our bodies are so strange. I survived a very physical day yesterday without any blood, but I did bleed a little sitting here at the computer on Monday. So funny because yesterday would have been the first day of my period if I wasn't on continuous pills.

As for changing pills, I am working with the Yasmin right now because I have -eventually- had breakthrough bleeding with a lot of pills. Changing pills doesn't seem like it would help me right now. I get the Yasmin for free from my doc nd I can take as many as I need to without trouble from my insurance. Plus, it is pretty amenable to the way that I use it. I think triphasics would really complicate things.

I had really excessive bleeding in the spring and I took six pills a day. Once the bleeding stopped I went down to four, then three, and then I stopped at two. Talk to your doc, but if you're not bleeding now, you may be able to taper down to one. I know I took three for a few days last month and it didn't help at all so I stopped the extra one. I hate taking more than is absolutely necessary. If you are going to switch pills, it may make sense to do it at the end of a cycle - if you are still planning on having regular periods. I would call the doc about it.

My doc is really liberal in his thinking about having periods. He says birth control was just made to mimic the regular cycle for psychological reasons. Women like the reassurance so they don't have to worry about being pregnant. I don't have to worry about pregnancy since I live in a small town where all of the single men are related to me! Ha! Needless to say, I don't feel the need to have a period again for a long time after that four week long one I just had.

Oh, and the UTI symptoms seem to be gone as well as my PMS. Now, back to my job search.

Old 08-08-2003, 09:28 AM   #15

2qt4u85 HB User
Hey panik, good luck on your job search lol. I'm glad to hear you've stopped bleeding as much! I'm calling my doctor today about the pills. I just don't want to go down to one and start my period again! I was wondering out of all the different kind of pills you have taken which ones worked the best for you? Thanx again for all your help, I really appreciate it!

Closed Thread