It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2003, 05:12 PM   #1
Senior Veteran

bluesnowflake HB User
Question vagina smell?

is it just me? I know I sweat more in the summer, and in the winter at night, but I seem to smell more too. It doesn't affect anything except I can smell my vagina more. I mean, it always has a smell to me- especially when I wear cotton. It's terrible. And I think I wouldn't be the only one to smell it- people must notice, I can just sit with my legs open a little and there it is- the scent of a woman. Ew, I hate it.

Old 08-01-2003, 05:21 PM   #2
Veteran

jessilynn68 HB User
Hey there -

I think I just read a post of yours on another thread where you talked about bad periods, but I think you mentioned they had regulated. If its not you, or they have, then I have to ask what it smells like. A fishy odor is indicative of an infection, and should be checked out. Even if it isn't fishy, if it is bothering you, why not get it checked out?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2003, 08:18 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

bluesnowflake HB User
Thanks for responding. I have had regular periods now for almost a year. The smell isn't fishy, nor is it an infection- I had a number of yeast and bacterial infections before my periods started again. I went to a doctor for a couple, but found cranberry juice kept the pain down. Anyway, this is more of a personal smell I think. I just want to know if this bothers anyone else. It seems to be more strong when I have been sweating. But its not BO. I don't know, its not really an issue, more of a complaint.

Old 08-02-2003, 02:54 PM   #4

tracey2775 HB User
i seem to smell as well. ive seem me sitting on the floor with my legs a little open and i can smell myself and ive just come out of the shower!! surely if i can smell it, others can too?

Old 08-03-2003, 12:01 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

bluesnowflake HB User
thats how I feel to, but I have never asked...how do you ask that anyways...

Old 08-03-2003, 06:19 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User
I have had that problem before also where I will just have washed and then I still don't smell fresh. I found a way to make it go away though at least for longer after I wash. I use Dial antibacterial body wash down there and it really kills the smell. It also makes it smell fresh longer.

Old 08-03-2003, 12:19 PM   #7
(female)

Kimberley~ HB User
Hey

I totally have that problem as well. I've had it since I hit puberty at age 10. I've always been so self concious of it. I use to change my undies 10 times a day and pants too..And it never ever went away. Same with me right out of the shower even after washing and washing it still is there pretty fast. I talked to my doctor he wouldn't do a test to check it out. Even though i asked 4 times. He said some women just have stronger odor. I do sweat a lot more down there being heavier doesn't help me. I also have a heavier discharge but it is usually clear so i'm not too concerned.

My big thing is like when someone gets close to me i freak out and push them away cuz i don't want them to smell it so that's a pain in the butt.

Anyway at least i know there are a few people out there that have this same issue

Old 08-05-2003, 10:23 PM   #8
Inactive

kimzi81 HB User
try summers eve.. the feminine wash. it really works. they now even have a lotion that you can use safely down there. it kills the bacteria that produces odor.

Old 08-06-2003, 10:16 AM   #9

PureJoy HB User
I have had this problem also. I discussed it with one of my friends, and she said that she also had it. We're in our 30s, and her doctor told her that it sometimes comes with age for some reason. That sounds kind of ridiculous to me.

But anyway, I use Dial Antibacterial also. And Summer's Eve Feminine Wash is wonderful too. I just like Dial because I don't have to use 2 soaps in the shower. It's just bacteria from sweating, just like under your arms. If you kill the bacteria that cause odor, the smell will most likely go away.

It depends though on where the smell is actually coming from. My friend and I were experiencing the odor, not from the vagina, but the crease where your inner thighs meet your public area. So the combination of the wrong panties, heat, tight pants, crossed-legs, and all of the other things that don't allow air to get to the pelvic area, causes bacteria to grow.

Also, I notice that I have to shower in accordance with whatever activities I've done that day. For instance, when I shower before bed, in the morning I may only do two or three washes in the shower. If I've been exercising or doing alot of activity outdoors, I wash 5 times in the shower. You have to go over your body more often when you exert yourself.

Old 08-06-2003, 10:23 AM   #10
(female)

Kimberley~ HB User
I found that the smell on me was also coming from places where skin meets skin. I also am in an environment where it's hot all day (i'm training to be a chef and summer in the hot kitchens does not promote dryness!) Anyway the pants i have to wear as well are a touch tight and high percent polyester so that doesn't help either. I wash a lot down there now and that seems to be helping. I increased my water consumption as well cuz i am on a diet and that is really helping. I dunno I'm just concerned that other smell it but no one ever said anything. I dunno if the people around me are the type but something tells me the way they talk about others they would tell me if i stunk!

Oh I just started to use dial antibacterial as well. I was sort of cautious cuz I don't want to kill off the good stuff too!

Old 08-06-2003, 10:44 AM   #11

PureJoy HB User
You are absolutely right K about washing away the good bacteria. Fortunately, I have not had any problems with that...yeast infections, etc. But I do have a friend who kept yeast infections and she used anti-bacterial soaps on her vaginal area. The doctor told her to start using Dove in that area. But Dove just doesn't make me feel clean. I don't do well with moisturizing soaps. It depends on the person.

So maybe Summer's Eve Fem Wash is best for that area, since it's formulated for that use and it's gentler.

Old 08-07-2003, 10:44 PM   #12
Senior Veteran

bluesnowflake HB User
where can you buy the summer's eve stuff?

Old 08-08-2003, 07:54 AM   #13

PureJoy HB User
Well, you can pretty much get it at any pharmacy/convenience store. Here, we have a store called "CVS", it's not a variety store with a pharmacy in the back. Also, the regular grocery store should sell it in the beauty/personal care section. It's really not hard to find. They have an entire line of products...feminine wash, body wash, powder, spray, etc. Anywhere you would find douches and sanitary products would have Summer's Eve.

Good luck!

Old 08-08-2003, 11:11 PM   #14
Inactive

kimzi81 HB User
i think any place that sells tampons/pads has the summers eve wash. they have two - one for sensitive skin and one for normal skin. i like the normal skin one because it smells good. the sensitive skin one (if i remember correctly) is unscented. they also have the powder (talc free so its safe for use down there.. you can sprinkle in on your underwear) if its skin on skin thats causing the smell, that might help!

Old 08-17-2003, 09:23 PM   #15

MessyGirl HB User
New to the boards. But would like to add that in addition you may want to put a paper towel in the genital area after a shower to make sure the area is *super* dry. This helps me.

Closed Thread