It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2003, 08:10 PM   #1

pancake71 HB User
Question your opinion - long post

I just went and saw my OB/GYN for an annual exam and questions regarding my irregular periods. My cycles range anywhere from 29-42days. Right now I'm at 50 day cycle and waiting. I'm not pregnant since my husband had a vasectomy almost 6 years ago and I have taken a test. When i do get a period, they are heavy and painful and last 5 days. The reason for my heavy and painful periods he says my uterus in enlarged. He said enlargement of the uterus happens to some when you have kids (I have 3 girls). He gave me two options. One, try hormone therapy for 3 months to jump start it or two, hysterectomy. I opted for the hormone therapy. He has put my on Prometrium to get my to have a period, he also put me on BCP, Yasmin. He never did any blood work or ultrasound. He just did a normal exam. I have been with this doctor for 10 years and love him dearly. I trust options he gave but feel a little uneasy about the hysterectomy. I am only 31. I am overweight but my periods have never been a problem before. Anyone else feel I should get a second opinion?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2003, 10:04 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Lindarella HB User
I feel you should. Your periods would be messing up for a reason, and until that reason is found, I wouldn't go through major surgery.

It sounds exactly like what is happening with me but I'm considerably older than you (43). My problem is peri-menopause and everything you describe are my exact symptoms. I was put on birth control and everything has been great since. You also sound as if you're having some hormone problems of some sort. Birth control is good for sorting out these things.

I'd go ahead and do the hormone therapy and start on the pills but if that doesn't correct it, get another opinion before any type of surgery.

Good luck to you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2003, 11:28 PM   #3
Veteran

strand3d HB User
Birth control sounds like a good option. Sometimes irregular periods can happen for a number of reasons, and it its because of a hormone problem, birth control can often straighten that out. Hopefully it'll work for you. Go with what you feel, if you trust your doctor than stay with him, and if you want a second opinion then visit another doctor. It's always best to trust yourself.

Closed Thread