It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2003, 05:11 PM   #1

Shortygrl1687 HB User
Unhappy Are blood clots normal?

OK so, for the past couple of months, I have had blood clots while on my period, but I am affraid that it isn't normal for my age. I am affraid to tell my mom until I find out if I really have a problem, but the thing is, it doesn't hurt or anything, and they aren't big, but my Grandma told me that it isn't healthy, and I am affraid that I have something wrong with me. I read that it is usually normal, but the only girls that have breast fed get them....so it would help if you would tell me.

Old 08-21-2003, 06:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Dianek HB User
You don't say how old you are, but for myself, the clots have been pretty much the norm for all of my period life, especially after I entered my twenties.

Now, if you're talking about clots that are really huge, say as large as a tennis ball, then I'd be concerned, but if they're quarter sized, I wouldn't really worry about it.

You can always see a gynecologist for a checkup and explain it and see what he/she says about it.

Seems like some months I don't notice it much at all, and then other times it's worse. Cannot wait until menopause!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2003, 11:00 AM   #3

ozenne HB User
Do you mean blood clots as in chunks in your period blood? I'm pretty sure that is normal. I've been getting my period like that since square one. Since your period is just your uterus shedding the lining, sometimes it will come off in twists and folds and ball up. That's all it is. But, as Dianek said, extremely large clots are probably something to get checked out.

Old 08-22-2003, 01:31 PM   #4
(female)

Zipity HB User
Very normal to have small ones like someone else said, maybe quarter or half dollar sized. It's just like if you have a nose bleed or something, your blood clots. If your period is normal other than that (irregular, VERY painful, etc) , I wouldn't worry about it

Old 08-24-2003, 10:57 PM   #5

Katymom HB User
It depends upon the size and frequency of the clots!

I too had heavy periods my entire life. However, I ended up in the hosp in May. I was bleeding so heavily, and clotting so badly, it was like liver chunks. (Gross, but I hope it helps you to understand the diff between regular monthly clotting and things to watch out for. )

Turns out I had ovarian cysts, and fibroids. None of which were treated at the time (poor GYN). I was just back in the hosp last weekend as well - one of the ignored fibroids had grown so large, it caused a cervical prolapse.

If in doubt get to a GYN dr, who will hopefully LISTEN to you. If yours doesn't go to another one! It took 3 GYNS to find a good one where I live - the other two were just worthless, and did not mind leaving me in pain and my life in jeopardy.

(They were thinking of transfusion on the last hosp trip, but I never got that either, thanks to the GYN on call - what a joke! She cancelled scheduled surgery, but never cancelled drink restrictions, so I spent almost 24 hrs in the hosp getting dehydrated!)

Good luck - and don't ignore the really large clots.

Old 08-25-2003, 07:22 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

PaNik5717 HB User
Hey there,

Like everyone said, little clots are totally normal. I used to think they were just the tissue that formed the lining of the uterus and maybe even a tiny egg somewhere in there. I had a similar problem to Katymom and did some research on clots. It turns out that there is an anti-clotting factor in our uterus during menstruation that helps the blood flow out. If your flow is heavy, the blood will spend a little extra time "bottlenecked" in the vagina and a few clots may form. The bigger clots (about as big as your fist and solid) are a sign that things are getting way too backed up in the vagina which means the flow is way too heavy. Basically, more than one pad in an hour is too heavy and you should see a doctor.

It really sounds like this is too much information for you right now, though. Little clots are normal on heavier days.

Closed Thread