It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2003, 01:25 PM   #1
Senior Veteran

AngelaA HB User
Post How to dry up breastmilk?

Just got lab tests back from breast fluid test that show I am leaking out colostrum despite that I have never been pregnant. I've had breast discharge from left breast for 8 years and I am sick and tired of it!

I've had all the tests...mammos, ultrasound, needle aspiration and breast core biopsy. Diagnosis was fibrocystic breast disease & a fibroadenoma. After my 6 month check up, to see if the breast lump had enlarged I demanded the dr find out what the discharge was. Prolactin tested as normal. They finally did a fluid test and said it was non-cancerous and actually has chemical makeup of colustrum. How can I stop making the colustrum? I read the medication previously given to women to dry up milk when they didn't want to nurse is no longer prescribed due to severe side effects. How do nursing women get it to stop? Help please!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2003, 03:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User
Actually when breastfeeding a nursing mothers milk will eventually dry up on its own, some women can only breast feed for about 6 months or so before they dry up, some go for years, mine usually dried up after 1-1/2 to 2 years.

I'm not sure what to do if you have never been pregnant and are having this problem, I know there is a natural product that is suppose to dry up breast milk, you may need to check with a health food store or contact a naturopath to get info on it. OR search the web, it may be available online, just look for products to dry up breast milk.

[This message has been edited by dea4 (edited 08-17-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2003, 07:20 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

Dianek HB User
I nursed both my babies and when I stopped, it was gradually. The less baby nurses, the less milk is produced and eventually it just stops.

It seemed to last longer the first time though, and my doctor told me to tell my husband to "leave me alone" if you know what I'm talking about, which wasn't the problem. It did stop in time though.

So don't squeeze your breasts either just to see if it's still coming out. Why you are producing colostrum and not pregnant is a mystery to me. As long as it's not cancer, I wouldn't worry too much about it unless it's so bad that you need nursing pads.

Old 08-17-2003, 09:33 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

AngelaA HB User
I know what you are getting that and others have implied that too. My breasts haven't been messed with in 3 yrs. Well except for the dr expressing 1 ounce for the lab test. It is a nuisance that my breasts are constantly oozing. Also it has caused problems in my previous relationship because I demanded my breast not be messed with as it makes it worse. The only natural remedy I have read about is placing a bruised cabbage leaf over the breast for 30 minutes. I've tried it for past couple days and thus far hasn't stopped it.

Old 08-18-2003, 11:02 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

Dianek HB User
Gosh, I just don't know what to tell you then. Sounds like you may have some sort of a hormone imbalance going on, but I'm not a doctor so the best you can do is follow your doctor's advice I guess.

Old 08-25-2003, 08:43 PM   #6

kikibandicoot HB User
i have a friend who had the same hormonal deal, and had never been pregnant, though she eventually actually did become pregnant and still nurses so it will be interesting to see what happens after her baby weans. that said i don't know if this would help you since it sounds hormonal, but believe it or not cabbage leaves will dry you up. i have heard this from more than one mom. i don't know what it is about them but they seem to do the trick. also you have to wear them in your bra not eat them. if you want a more medical route they also have drugs (which have can nasty side effects) that can dry you up as well. but maybe in your case it will just take putting the hormones back in balance.

Old 08-25-2003, 09:39 PM   #7

jitter girl HB User
After my last pregnancy and 6 weeks of breastfeeding, I had to stop and let the milk dry up. My doctor suggested using an antihistimine like Benadryl to help out. It dries out any secretions, i.e. nasal, eyes, etc. It did help some.

Good luck!

------------------
~JG

Old 08-25-2003, 10:11 PM   #8

lacey o HB User
Hi, I have a 14 month old child, and I never breast feed him. I'm still producing milk, and the nurses say that they want do anything about it, cause they don't give out the meds. anymore. I had an ultrasound done and had my prolactin checked and it was all good. I'm really wishing someone had some advice, I tried the cabbage and it did not help. I wear a sports bra everyday. So someone PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!

Closed Thread