It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2003, 10:38 PM   #1

Tax HB User
Exclamation What is it called? Need help?

Hi... I need help... Since about two weeks back I got this little vains in my legs that is realy visible... I never got this.. I am 26 and is overweight but lose about 60 lbs and now I get it... From a size 24 to a size 9.

My mother in law and sister in law got it realy bad and not one of them are fat at all. I did alot of standing work for two weeks but not anymore for about a week now....

This afternoon I dicovered a realy big vain on my inner thing above my knee... bulking... what do you call that? Is there treatment for it? Can it be fixed?

Please let me know if I need to go and see the doc? I would probably but what do you call that? Can he help?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2003, 02:23 AM   #2

ritamymom HB User
Hi there

That is called Vericose Veins. They happen when the return of blood to the heart valves fail to close properly forming pools of blood in the vein and over time will force the vein ******d resulting in enlarged and sometimes bulging giving it a rope appearance. This condition is hereditary and is also aggrivated by pregnancy, menopause, obesity, aging of tissues and use of birth control and hormonal therapy.
There are two alternatives to treatment of Vericose Veins;
One: Since valves cannot be repaired, they re-route the blood flow through healthy veins. they do this by removing (or stripping) the vein from your leg.
Two: This is a less invasive treatment that can be done as day surgery. They give you local anesthesia then put a thin catheter that delivers radiofrequency energy to the vein wall, causing it to heat, collapse and shut down. Once the diseased vein is closed, other healthy veins take over and empty blood from your legs.
After they remove the catheter they put a bandage over the site of insertion and the leg is wrapped for a few days. Sometimes the doctor will ask you to wear stockings that are tight (these are special stockings) to hold the pressure. You may also be asked to stay off your feet for a few days.
Some insurance companies will cover this procedure if it is found to be medically necessary and not just cosmetic. Check with them first.

Good luck.
Hope this was of some help to you!

R

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2003, 02:35 AM   #3

ritamymom HB User
Hi again

There is also spider veins. People may develop these due to genetics or possibly hormonal use but they are not sure why people develop them.
They are harmless yet can be unattractive.
The treatment for these is a procedure called Sclerotherapy where they insert a saline solution or detergent into the veins causing them to clot and become less apparent.
There is also lasar treatment but it is less effective and more expensive. It is a good alternative if one is allergic to the solution used in Sclerotherapy however.
They often use a combination of both: Sclerotherapy for the major part and lasar to get rid of the tip of the vein.

R

Old 08-26-2003, 05:23 PM   #4

Tax HB User
Thank you!

Is there any tips on how to prevent it? From getting more?

Closed Thread