It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2003, 07:30 AM   #1

Xionia HB User
Post Tampon Problem

I see another poster has a very similar problem but I'll post mine anyway. I'm 18 but I only started to use tampons regularly a few months ago. The first time I used one I left it in for quite a long time and it leaked. When I took it out I saw it was pretty much soaked through so I assumed I should have changed it earlier. I mentioned it to the doctor anyway on my last visit and she just said to change it more often and maybe use a higher absorbancy (I already use Tampax Super though). The next time I had my period I followed her advice and it seemed to be fine.

However the problem seems to have gotten worse. Now almost every time I use a tampon it leaks. Yesterday I had one in for just 2 or 3 hours and it leaked, today the same thing. The blood had only soaked one side of the tampon and the string. This is driving me crazy because I hate using pads and I like swimming. I just can't rely on a tampon to work and I don't understand why it doesn't and why the doctor didn't suggest any reason why it wouldn't work. Should I mention it to the other doctor the next time I see her? Would she do a quick exam or just more guesswork?

Old 08-22-2003, 07:51 AM   #2
(female)

karen430 HB User
I honestly don't think you have anything to worry about. I have been using tampons for years and still find they sometimes "leak." I just use a pantiliner in addition to my tampon. Although, I find that it is only the first few days-- my heavy days, when I experience the leaking. I would say to you that there is nothing to worry about. Maybe you aren't inserting them properly... meaning: far enough up. But I dont see a medical problem here. Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2003, 08:55 AM   #3
Inactive

mlgable HB User
You need to change to a different brand of tampons. Not all tampons expand the same way. Some expand more length wise and others expand more width wise. Try some different brands until you find one that works well for you.

Old 08-22-2003, 08:57 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Blastoff9600 HB UserBlastoff9600 HB User
I know this answer wont be exactly what you are looking for but it still might solve the leaking problem.
Look into using Instead Cups. They are a plastic cup shaped much like a diaphgram(birth control device) that holds the blood. You can leave it in up to 12 hours,though depending on your flow it could be less time. So far I have only had mine leak twice in the year I have been using them. The reason being is I didnt get them in correctly.
TTC #3 since 01/02

Old 08-23-2003, 11:50 AM   #5
Inactive

kimzi81 HB User
I've used tampons for years and find that once in awhile they do leak depending on your flow. but I also tried a non applicator tampon in the highest absorbency and that leaked in 20 minutes. I thought I was just having a really strong flow, but realized after awhile that it was just the tampon brand. I went back to my compact tampax tampons and i havent had a problem since! My doctor did tell me that I have a tilted uterus. I dont know if that makes a difference or not but I guess my point is that our bodies are all made differently so Im guessing certain brands fit us better than others.

Old 08-23-2003, 10:42 PM   #6

hyzenthlay HB User
there is rumor that tampons are treated to increase your flow and therefore tampon sales. i don't know the validity of the rumor but it's out there so you know.

Old 08-24-2003, 06:00 PM   #7
Inactive

mlgable HB User
A rumor is exactly what that is. There is not truth to the fact that they are treated to increase your flow. When a tampon leaks you either left it in to long, didn't use a high enough absorbency or it isn't the right fit for your body and you need to try another brand.

Old 08-24-2003, 10:43 PM   #8

Katymom HB User
I would try another brand of tampons. They all react a little differently, and form to shapes a little differently.

The only brand that I can count on to not leak (unless it fills up!) is Kotex Security. I use all three of the strengths (reg, super and extra). The Tampon brands never expand enough to fit my body, and they always leak for me, no matter what absorbancy I tried, or how often I changed.

Just experiment with some different brands, and be sure you are putting them far enough in. Sometimes, we tend to not push hard enough, and the tip can actually be showing a little - that is a guaranteed "leak" waiting to happen!

Contrary to rumors, you cannot get one lost inside of you! If you lose the string, just "squat", and it will show back up!

The feeling of being cleaner when compared to pads is amazing, so don't give up yet. It isn't you, it is the brand you are using. You will find the one that fits your body the best, then just stick with it. (and always wear a pantiliner with them anyway - even the best can leave some marks sometimes, esp when you are past due for a changing.)

[This message has been edited by Katymom (edited 08-25-2003).]

Old 08-27-2003, 07:56 AM   #9

familyfull HB User
When I was younger I had a really heavy flow. That's the reason I went for the tampons because I would totally leak through the pads.

You need to get the super PLUS size tampons and change them as often as necessary. Back it up with a panty liner. Every body is different.

Another thing to try, which I think is great is those INSTEAD cups that you insert into your vagina as well and you can leave in for upto 12 hours. These are great (it might look kinda scary - like a little saucer you insert and it holds/catches the blood) You still have to back this up with a pantyliner too because it will leak when you go to the bathroom with the position and the "pushing/releasing" you just do on the toilet.

Hang in there!! Everything you have described (and yes I read your other post) sounds normal.

Closed Thread