It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2003, 09:00 PM   #1
(female)

knockemdead HB User
Post Brown discharge before period??

Does anyone else experience this?? I am on my 6th month of Microgestin ...and I guess this is called breakthrough bleeding?? I'm not exactly sure. But 4 days ago, I went to use the bathroom, and after I wiped, there was a lot of brown discharge. Since then, it has gotten lighter and lighter...and I don't start my period for another 2 more days!

I'm really really worried. I don't have pain or anything associated with it.

Old 08-01-2003, 09:35 PM   #2

sapphira HB User
i do not have a lot of it, only a small amount the week before my period.

i really don't believe it's anything to worry about as long as you have no symptoms of an infection.

sapphira

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2003, 09:39 PM   #3
(female)

knockemdead HB User
Thanks for your reply. <3 <--that's my weak idea of a little heart..haha.

Anyone else??

Old 08-01-2003, 09:46 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

bluesnowflake HB User
Smile

hey there, I have had brown discharge usually after my period, but last time I had it before. Did you feel kinda dry? I have had that before, and it was a bacterial infection. It hurt like hell though...normally the discharge is harmless though. Just your body letting you know it's on its way!

Old 08-01-2003, 09:46 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

bluesnowflake HB User
Smile

hey there, I have had brown discharge usually after my period, but last time I had it before. Did you feel kinda dry? I have had that before, and it was a bacterial infection. It hurt like hell though...normally the discharge is harmless though. Just your body letting you know it's on its way!

Old 08-01-2003, 10:53 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

normorcrazy HB User
If you have intercourse or any type of vaginal exam a few days prior to your cycle it can cause some bleeding. This is normal because the cervix becomes sensitive prior to your cycle. I agree that if you have no symptoms of infection then you should be fine. If it continues or worsens have it checked out.

Old 08-02-2003, 10:55 AM   #7
(female)

knockemdead HB User
Thanks for the replies! But is it okay to have the brown discharge 4-5 before your periods starts????

Old 08-02-2003, 11:29 AM   #8
(female)

Lithiate HB User
Well, everyone is different and everyone's bodies react differently to being on the pill, but what you're experiencing definitely sounds like "breakthrough bleeding". It is extremely common, particularly when you're just starting on the pill or have switched brands/doseages recently, but it can happen other times too. It happened with me both when I began taking the pill and once or twice after I'd been on the pill for over a year. It's your body trying to sort out what's going on with it's hormones and it's not anything to worry about if you're not experiencing pain or have reason to suspect an infection of some form. It's also common to experience this if you missed a pill or two.

Basically, I wouldn't worry about it if you're not experiencing pain or anything that would suggest you have an infection of some form. Just my $0.02.

Old 08-02-2003, 10:09 PM   #9
(female)

knockemdead HB User
Thanks Lithiate and everyone else!! I guess I tend to worry too much sometimes.

God bless. <3

Old 08-04-2003, 11:52 AM   #10

Chaotican HB User
I get brown discharge before and after the red flows. I've been told that while this isn't ideal, it is fairly normal. Sometimes, the brown stuff is kind of stringy, but otherwise it is pretty much like blood. Just brown blood!

Periods should start and end with red. If they aren't, then you could have some hormonal issues going on. It isn't urgent, most likely, but do mention it to your doctor during your next visit.

Old 08-27-2003, 06:02 PM   #11

marthafocker HB User
ive had the same problem. brown light.. kinda stringy discharge? i got mine a couple days before my period on one month.. so i let it slide after speaking with my doctor.. and this month.. actually right now.. its atleast a week before my period is even nearing. Ive been reading online that it is due to your body reacting to your birth control pills. I myself am on ortho tri cyclen.. and i read online that your uterus and cervix respond to excessive progesterone production due to your bc pills... it sounds legit. makes sense to me.
if you get any more information pleeease let me know. i for one am being driven mad by this sort of thing. and i really.. really dont want to prop up on the table for the gyno any more this year.

[This message has been edited by marthafocker (edited 08-27-2003).]

Closed Thread