It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2003, 05:37 PM   #1

your_mum_350 HB User
Question ortho tricyclen

I recently went to the local health department and they gave me my first pap and pelvic exam and then gave me my bc pills. They ended up putting me on ortho tricyclen. i haven't started it yet because i have to wait until the first Sunday after i start my period. That'll be another two weeks or so. Btw, what if you start your period on a Sunday? Should you take it that day (or night)? I wasn't for sure... I didn't get to ask her that question.I was just wondering if anyone could give me any info on what this pill is all about? I've been told it's a good pill, but i'm not sure. any information would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

------------------
--ME

Old 08-23-2003, 05:49 PM   #2
Veteran

strand3d HB User
If you start your period on a sunday, then start your pills on that sunday too. You can either be a 'sunday' starter, or a 'first day' starter. If you start your period on say, a wednesday, you an start to take your pills that day. Or, you can wait until the sunday after you start your period. The instructions that come with ortho-tri-cyclen tell you this, too.

Ortho-tri-cyclen is sort of the 'default' pill clinics seem to give out, but i have no idea why. I took ortho-tri-cyclen for about 9 months before i switched pills. I started to have MAJOR migraines, so i had to change brands. I didn't have any bad side effects other than that. It's really good for acne, too. The major problem with ortho-tri-cyclen is every week the hormone levels change, they go up every week until your placebo week,and then you have no hormones. The changing hormone levels can sometimes cause problems, which for me it gave me major migraines.

For the most part i had a good experience on the pill. So i hope you do too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2003, 09:08 PM   #3
Inactive

carolinajewel HB User
Smile

Hi, I've been taking Ortho Tricyclen for about 1 1/2 years now. I absolutely love it. I started out taking Depo Provera (the shot every 3 months), but I had horrible mood swings & acne. So, my gyno put me on Ortho. The mood swings stopped & my acne cleared up quickly. The only problem I have had in the past with ortho, is in the beginning, my periods were very heavy, even some blood clots. I called my gyno, and he said that was normal, and my periods should become very light over time. And they did. I'm a "Sunday Starter", that's easier for me. You can actually keep up w/ it better that way. If you start on the day your period begins, more than likely each month it will always be a different day. But if you're a "Sunday Starter", it's always every 4 Sundays. It's great, you can plan things around your period that way. My period has been much much lighter. Actually this past time, it was only for 1 day. That was WONDERFUL! So, to answer your question, if you start on a Sunday, you can take your 1st BC pill that day, and more than likely your period will ease off in the next day or two. Or, if you want your period to run it's normal cycle, then take your pill on the following Sunday. It's really up to you. I hope this helps, and I hope you have as much luck with it as I have. Take Care & let me know how you're doing.

Old 08-25-2003, 09:11 PM   #4
Inactive

carolinajewel HB User
Smile

By the way, I noticed you were from Cooke*****, Tenn. I actually know someone from there. His name is Tyson, he used to work at a local college. Do you happen to know him? Probably not, but I thought I'd mention it. Goodluck to you.

Old 08-26-2003, 11:15 AM   #5

brendiqueen HB User
This is some coincidence, it seems like people who replied to these post are from "known" cities. I loove Orthotryciclen and I am also from Char*****, NC. So, far OTC has worked great.. I think I got lucky

------------------
BSL

Old 08-27-2003, 09:24 PM   #6

your_mum_350 HB User
Thanks alot for all of the info. guys. It's helped me out alot. The nurse up there told me I had to start taking the pills the first Sunday after my period. *shrugs* She said that the pill wouldn't work correctly if I didn't use them like that. I'm going to do my best to keep a regular schedule with it... I really hope that they work as well as what I've heard they do. I have a feeling they will. If there is anymore info or any stories about ortho anyone would like to give me, go for it... they would be greatly appreciated. Again, thanks alot to everyone... you're all very kind. Oh yes, and by the way... the name Tyson does sound familiar. I will ask my sister if she knows him for ya. Take care and again, thankyou.

------------------
--ME

Closed Thread