It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2003, 07:39 PM   #1

crystalline HB User
Post hi everyone...i have a question...

this may belong in the weight loss forum, but i honestly feel that this is a health issue, so here goes...
i am a 19 year old who had a premature baby (24 weeks gestation) by c section about a year ago. since the birth, i have steadily gained a large amount of weight, despite diet and excercise. there was a six
month period during which, according to my diet/excersise plan, a normal person would have
been burning about 850 calories more than they were taking in, but the pounds just kept piling on. i have been to an internal medicine(IMD) doctor and my ob/gyn. once my IMD established that my thyroid was
normal, he sort of dismissed the whole thing, telling me to diet and that i am "borderline anemic." i have been anemic since childhood, and i have never
been able to tolerate iron pills as they make me vomit, but i have never had a weight problem until now. my ob/gyn changed my birth control from
ortho tri cyclen to yasmin, in hopes that it would make a difference, but three months later i have gained another 15 pounds. i weighed 135 when i had my sonlast august. i now weigh 178. the weight gain is very erratic:sometimes, it seems to stabilize, and then i gain rapidly. i have gained 20 lbs. with in the past two weeks. i am miserable and feel as though there is nothing i can do to stop this. i am deathly afraid that something is seriously wrong, but none of my doctors seem overly concerned. i honestly think that they just assume i have become a complete glutton overnight. the problem is, i haven't...i eat between 1500 and 1700 calories per day, and i am very active. maybe if i went in with a suggestion as to what the problem could be, my Dr. would listen.
please help, i'm desperate!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2003, 08:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Blastoff9600 HB UserBlastoff9600 HB User
Go back to your doctor and ask to get your hormones tested,get your blood sugar checked(check for diabetes),and get your thyroid retested.
Look up info about PCOS,type it into a search engine and see if other signs match. If you have any toher signs you might want to mention to your doctor that you want to see an Endocrongolist(sp). They are better at catching the littlest signs of PCOS. It might be something else also. They deal with alot of things and might be able to help you better than your regular doctor.
TTC #3 since 01/02

Old 08-14-2003, 09:26 PM   #3

crystalline HB User
i don't think i have PCOS, i don't really have any of the symptoms described(other than weight gain).
i also forgot to add one more thing: i am allergig to just about everything, and i often have "itchy skin", especially at bedtime. i talked to my mother today(she lives out of town), and she says that allergies can cause weight gain...anyone know?

Old 08-14-2003, 10:20 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

normorcrazy HB User
Well, she's the doctor, I'm not, but I've never heard of allergies causing weight gain. I agree you need your hormones tested...progesterone and estrogen. After a birth these can get knocked out of wack and never return to normal on their own. Also, many people have had false results when it comes to their thyroids. Continue to look into that. Take care and hopefull you will find out what's going on soon.

Old 08-14-2003, 11:06 PM   #5

crystalline HB User
thanks for all of your input! i am going to make an appointment first ting in the morning to get a referral for an endocrinologist. i've looked up some info in underactive thyroid, and it fits my condition almost completely. in fact, some things that i didn't think were connected at all to my weight gain(itching all over, dry eyes, headaches, and a hoarse voice)turned out to be symptoms. i'll let everyone who's interested know what i find out!

Old 08-15-2003, 11:47 AM   #6
Veteran

strand3d HB User
Why don't you try getting an IUD? Birth control could be aggrivating your weight loss. IUD's are sometimes hard to get if you haven't had a child vaginally, but its worth a shot. Most gynos will give me so long as you've at least had a child. It's worth looking into if you think the birth control might be the cause.

Old 08-29-2003, 04:04 AM   #7

trainwreck HB User
I suggest you ask for the thyroid antibody tests. It DOES sound like you have hypothyroidism. However, it can be difficult to diagnose when antibodies are involved as the TSH can look "normal". ASK your doctor to do these tests. If they won't, find a doctor who will.

Closed Thread