It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2003, 03:32 AM   #1

Slight Rebellion HB User
Question Lower Belly Fat...A common Female problem, is there a solution?

Hey Everyone-
I know that belly fat is common for women, and that we have a higher percentage of body fat than men (unfortuantly, and they don't have to wear a bikini..lol). Even more common is lower belly fat, below the belly button. Has anyone found ANY way to reduce this? I run on a treadmill and do Pilates, which has really toned my upper abs, but my lower still has a ring of fat around (nice image, huh?) NOthing I do seems to reduce this. Anyone relate or have any suggestions? Thanks!

Old 08-27-2003, 09:19 AM   #2

SydneyZ HB User
Aaaarrrggghhh, I have the same problem. My family doctor tells me that I need to reduce my overall body fat and this area will be reduced as well, but I have seen a plastic surgeon who told me that some areas of fat are almost resistant to being reduced. So, he says the only thing to do is liposuction and a tummy tuck. Ok, so he has ulterior (sp?) motives, I know, but I think that sounds reasonable - especially since no amount of exercise has reduced this area on me. Unfortunately, the cost and down time of surgery is not feasible for me right now. Good luck to you!

Syd

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2003, 03:58 AM   #3

Tyger HB User
Unfortunately you can't 'spot reduce' fat from any particular spot on the body.
Reducing all-over body fat (as the doc said) is the only way of achieving this. annoying hey.
I've heard bike-riding excersises and jogging are the most effective for wittling away the waistline.

Good luck!

Tyger.

Old 08-31-2003, 04:13 AM   #4
Inactive

peregrine HB User
I am very slender but have (had) the stomach pouch you describe. When I started a high protein low carb regime it finally went away. If, however, I stray from eating this way it reappears. Have you read Dr. Atkins stuff? He talks about this. It is important that it is addressed (for reasons other than unslightliness :-))because women who tend to carry fat in this area are more prone to heart conditions.

Peregrine

Old 08-31-2003, 08:02 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Dawnrise HB User
I've been dealing with this belly fat for years and the older I get the worse it seems to get. I know when I walked the treadmill a few years ago it seemed to help some but I have arthritis and it's very difficult for me to exercise at all. I try to explain this to my husband but he keeps insisting (get this) that I should buy corsets, bustiers, etc. because these things turn him on. But how appealing can something like that be when you have belly fat hanging out from underneath. I also wish I could have a tummy tuck. That's my ultimate dream. But, alas, the cost and down time. So what's a girl to do? Live with it? *sigh* I know about the all-over exercise but a lot of things I can't do as I mentioned. If anyone has any ideas let's hear them.

Old 08-31-2003, 09:34 PM   #6

Tyger HB User
Dawnrise, are you able to do any low-impact exercise, like yoga or pilates? I hear that these methods are very helpful in toning up and losing body fat, but I've never tried them myself as yet.
Just thought it might be worth a go if high-impact exercises such as jogging are going to aggravate your arthritis
I'm sure your husband thinks your damn sexy whatever the case, if he's wanting you to dress up for him hehe

Tyger.

Old 08-31-2003, 10:24 PM   #7
Inactive

mlgable HB User
Arthritis should no limit your excercise if you join a water arobics type class that is designed for people with limitations. Check at your local YMCA or you local health club that has a pool or just research it and use the high school pool in your city during public swim times.

Old 09-01-2003, 07:35 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Dawnrise HB User
I am not able to do yoga because I have arthritis in my knees and can't bend them very far. As far as the swimming goes (I know it's one of the best exercises), I would not even be caught dead in a bathing suit. :-)
Which is unfortunate as I would love to go swimming.

Old 09-03-2003, 10:09 AM   #9

hapa HB User
you have to keep at it. After 400 crunches PER day for 6 MONTHS, I finally lost every bit of fat and got toned abs. So yes, it takes a long time but if you keep at it, you'll get the results. I know it seems like exercise doesn't work because you see all those advertisements (like Xenadrine) of people who lose 50 lbs in 5 months and they got a 6 pack. That's such false advertisement---those people are fitness models who body train for several years! Getting those results takes a lot more time than you think. Just keep doing it.

If you were really overweight before, then you will probably have stretch marks and those, unfortunately, do not go away. The left over stretch marks is extra skin (not fat) and needs to be removed by a plastic surgeon. Otherwise, since your only concern is fat, then just keep at the crunches and you WILL burn it off eventually. You have to really want it, like I did, and don't give up!

Old 09-03-2003, 12:28 PM   #10

~~NatureLovers~~ HB User
Could someone throw some names of Pilates tapes that are good. Do you go to a gym or at home? What exactly is Pilates and how does it help achieve goals quicker? Is it more like Yoga, or Aerobics?

Closed Thread