HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Women's Health (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/womens-health/)
-   -   Weird Clot (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/womens-health/116600-weird-clot.html)

Ravishing 07-29-2003 07:46 PM

Weird Clot

Today I started my period. Earlier when I went to the bathroom and wiped there was this weird clot type thing there. At first I thought that it was just the toilet paper but when I took a closer look it wasn't. It was like a big clot but kind of white with a bit of blood mixed in. The texture was kind of rubbery and thick - kind of stringy (sorry if this is really gross).
I'm really kind of freaked out about this - I have no idea what it could be. My period has been normal all day outside of this and I feel fine.

Anyone know what this is? Should I be concerned?

Lindarella 07-30-2003 05:30 AM

It's very normal for that to happen. It happens at one time or another to nearly everyone. Over the years it's happened to me several times and it's never been a problem. Although, like you, the first time it happened it freaked me out a little too. Some people are more prone to this too. It likely has something to do with the shape and tilt of your uterus. Don't worry, you're just fine. :wave:

Ravishing 07-30-2003 10:45 AM

Glad to hear that this is something normal :)
But what is it and how is the tilt of my uterus related? I'm still curious to know what this is!

Thanks for your help

PaNik5717 07-30-2003 02:43 PM

I have never had white clots, but I do get dark red ones all the time. I used to think that one of those clots held an unfertilized egg. But I recently read that there is an anti-clotting factor in your uterus during your period that allows the blood to flow out. If the blood gets backed up trying to get out (like a traffic jam on heavier flow days), it can start to clot in your vagina. This is normal and, yes, it is gross. Really big clots can be a sign that your flow is too heavy, but only your doc can tell that for sure. I get them more if I have been sitting for awhile and stand up, but I don't know much about the shape or orientation of the uterus part. I do know that mine is tilted, but I was told it shouldn't cause any problems.

Kandi76 07-30-2003 04:05 PM

Hi, I am so glad I can came across this. It is good to know that it is normal because I have it happen all the time..pretty much with every period now. It freaks me out sometimes because it is so gross. I thought there was something wrong with me...it is good to know that it is nothing serious. I guess then maybe my periods are too heavy. I went off the pill about 9 months ago and my periods have been crazy every since then. They are never on time..I never know when they are coming or going. I get a lot of brown discharge and clotting. I am going to the GYN at the end of August and she may suggest me going back on the pill I suppose. Thanks for the info!

Take care :)

Ravishing 07-30-2003 07:57 PM

I've had red clots many times in the past and they have never really concerned me. The fact that this one was white and so thick is what got me. I would still love to know what would have caused it to be white or where I can get some info on this. I have a Dr. appointment coming up anyway and will ask about it when I'm there but I still thought that I would see if anyone here might know what it could be.

Ravishing 07-31-2003 02:08 PM

I just got back from the Dr. and mentioned the clot to him when I was there. He said that it sounds like it could have been yeast although he couldn't do a test because I still have my period. He prescribed some Difulcan and booked me for a pap test and some swabs in 2 weeks.

sunnygirlJ 09-04-2003 04:12 PM

I'm so glad I found this message board.. I had my period about two weeks ago (i'm still kind of on it.. stupid brown stuff) and I saw a white clump come out (there was some cramping too) and i was freaked out because i didn't know what it was! i'm on the depo-shot and i haven't had any bad side-effects.. no weight gain or anything.. i noticed that i am a lot more emotional, but other than that i haven't really experienced anything bad. Heh that's beside the point. Anyway i'm really glad i found someone who this has also happened to and that it's pretty normal. i wasn't sure if i had had a miscarraige or what.. even though that technically isn't possible.. right?