It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2003, 05:53 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

hollygirl05 HB User
Post What does pelvic ultrasounds look for???

Hi, Friday I'm having a pelvic ultrasound. I have been having periods and spotting between periods. I thought it may be endometriosis or pcos but because I have no pain and children, my doctor doesn't think it's either of those. What would a pelvic ultrasound show? I had a pap but won't get results for a while. Thanks for responding.
Becky

Old 09-10-2003, 06:19 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

PaNik5717 HB User
The pelvic ultrasound gives somewhat of an overview of what is going on inside. They can look for cysts or fluid on the ovaries, which is what caused my very first bout of spotting a long time ago. They can also look for fibroids, which is what I had mine for last night. It was such a funny experience. I drank all the water they told me to drink for the regular pelvic, but then they needed a closer look transvaginally. They had me empty my bladder, but it kept refilling and they couldn't see my right ovary.

I don't know anything about PCOS, but I think endo can only be seen through a laparoscopy. Not sure, though. I am also guessing they can see other things on the ultrasound.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2003, 12:09 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

hollygirl05 HB User
Hi, Thanks for replying. They did tell me to drink alot of water before going. Are they gonig to try and look at it again? I'll let you know what they find if anything. Becky

Old 09-10-2003, 12:16 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

PaNik5717 HB User
Sorry, not sure what you were asking about. Are they going to try to see my ovary again? I don't think so. There isn't really much concern that it is causing my trouble right now. They did see fibroids in mine and a few other things they marked. I am going to try to get copies of my old ultrasounds from my previous clinic just to show the doc that I do have an ovary there. It's really irrational, though.

Be prepared for the transvaginal ultrasound, in case that do it to you. The thing they use looks like it could see your tonsils - it's so long! And as they poke around inside it can be pretty uncomfortable. Mine took longer than it should since they kept searching for the ovaries and just having fun looking at my anatomy. Even at that, I was out ten minutes after my scheduled appointment. The whole thing took about 30 minutes.

Ah, and I doubt that your pap has anything to do with it. They can actually look at your cervix if they need to.

Old 09-11-2003, 08:25 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

hollygirl05 HB User
Hi, Yes, I was wondering if they were suposed to check your overies again. My appointment is tomorrow. I'm not sure if I'll get the results then, but I'll let you know what they say. I asked my doctor if it's possible that I could be going through early menopause, but she says I'm way to young. I'll be 32 in December. My mom went through early memopause in her mid 40's. I'm always really hot too which just started a few months ago. Well I'll talk to you tomorrow, Becky

Old 09-11-2003, 09:18 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

PaNik5717 HB User
Good luck tomorrow. I am used to having my doctor do the ultrasound in his office, but the new hospital I am going to doesn't do it that way. I guess not many do. The techs that did mine did make a few loose-lipped comments, but I don't think they usually say much because it's not really their job to diagnose. In my case they saw a few fibroids and maybe something else...

I had the same question about menopause and my doctor literally laughed. Abnormal bleeding is common in young women and perimenopausal women. I guess it also happens with women soon after giving birth. None of that applies to me and I am 26! A few months ago they couldn't tell why I was bleeding and the only answer I could think of after everything else was checked was menopause. It seems that all of the women in my family have had hysterectomies, so I don't know when to expect menopause, but I am guessing it's about 15 years away.

Has your thyroid been checked? Are you on the pill? Those could be two leads about your bleeding. I hope they give you at least a hint about what they see tomorrow.

Closed Thread