It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2003, 07:44 AM   #1
Inactive

SFangel HB User
Angry Painful insertion of tampon

Hi,

When I have my periods, I used to be able to insert my tampon painlessly. However, I noticed it hurts a lot to insert a tampon since yesterday. Why is that?

Thanks.

Old 09-09-2003, 09:10 AM   #2
Inactive

mlgable HB User
Unless you give more info there is no way we can tell why it hurts to insert your tampon. Where is the pain and how soon after trying to insert it does it happen? Why type of pain is it? Is it sharp, stabbing, dull or whatever? How long have you used tampons? Did you by chance try to insert it at the wrong angle? Is you period perhaps almost over that you are kind of dry when you tried to insert it? More info would help us figure out what is going on.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2003, 12:17 PM   #3
Inactive

Shel1974 HB User
I've had this happen to me before and never knew why. But after many yeast infections I've decided to call it quits on the dear old tampon. I never thought I could live without it, but after many many many months of infections, I decided I will suffer with pads from now on. Even on my 7 day cruise next week!!

Old 09-09-2003, 08:12 PM   #4
Inactive

JadeaFaith HB User
There could be a lot of reason for this, my guess would perhaps be a light flow - however without more information I can't really say.

If I were you I'd be seeking alternatives if this continues (even if it doesn't continue I'd recomend 'alternatives' rather than tampons because of the many dangers tampons hold for women), pads, lunapads, or if you would prefure to use internal menstrual products maybe sponges or cups (cups would be eaier to insert).

Old 09-10-2003, 03:48 AM   #5
Inactive

SFangel HB User
Hi, everybody

Thanks for the information.

Mlgable, to answer your questions:

“Where is the pain?” The pain is inside the vagina. It starts very near, or maybe even at, the entrance of the vagina. The pain continues as I insert the tampon deeper into the vagina. It also feels like I cannot insert the tampon as deep into the vagina as I used to. It also feels like it is difficult to insert the tampon, like there is some sort of resistance.

“How soon after trying to insert the tampon does the pain happen?” The pain happens almost immediately after I start inserting the tampon into my vagina.

“What type of pain is it?” I am not sure which word(s) would accurately describe this pain. However, it is not dull, but rather sharp.

“How long have you used tampons?” I have used them for years.

“Did you by chance try to insert it at the wrong angle?” No, I inserted it the way I did all these years I have used tampons. When the insertion was painful for the first time this month, I tried to insert it from different angles but it did not help.

“Is your period perhaps almost over that you are kind of dry when you tried to insert it?” No, my period had just started. It was a heavy period. However, I do not know if my vagina is dry in spite of the heavy period.

I am a 28-year-old female that lost my virginity about 4 years ago. A friend told me my hymen might have become that of a virgin again because I have not had sex for more than 3 ½ years. Do you think this could be one cause of the pain at insertion (a closed hymen)?

Shel1974, are you saying tampons can cause yeast infections? I do have chronic yeast infection, but it started when I was a teenager, long before I even started to use tampons.

JadeaFaith, I would rather use internal products because I like to swim and because internal products seem less messy somehow. However, I have never seen sponges or cups in the U.S.

Thanks, everybody, for your help.

Old 09-10-2003, 07:02 AM   #6
Inactive

Shel1974 HB User
SFangel,

My doctor told me that tampons irritate the vagina causing yeast infections (not always the only cause). He said for someone with reoccuring yeast infections it is just a better idea to quit using them. It irritates them, makes them come back quicker, harder to get rid of while using them. He is totally against tampons anyway. He said little pieces of the tampon can get left behind causing other infections. Believe me, I was not too happy about not using them, I am even tempted to use them again while on my cruise next week, BUT I don't want to live with reoccuring yeast infections. It has ruined my sex life with my husband. I want to get rid of them for good, and I am willing to put up with pads to do this!!

Good Luck to you!!

Old 09-10-2003, 07:33 AM   #7
Inactive

mlgable HB User
You can buy the instead cups at lots of places in the US. If you go to their website they list by location the various stores that carry them. Check out their website to see if they sound right for you.

Old 09-10-2003, 10:00 PM   #8
Inactive

SFangel HB User
Hi, everybody

Today, I used a smaller tampon because my period is lighter. It did not hurt to insert this small tampon. It hurts to insert a big tampon that is appropriate for heavy periods.

Please let me know why inserting a tampon (big one) hurts. I explained my situation in more detail in my previous in this thread.

I will look for the instead cups. These would allow me to ride the horse, swim, water ski, etc. without worrying about the pads getting displaced.

Old 09-11-2003, 10:47 AM   #9
Veteran

strand3d HB User
It sounds like it's probably related to your chronic yeast infection which can be aggrivated by tampons. I'd suggest just going to your gyno to have it checked out, just to make sure it isn't anything really bad.

Instead cups are okay, but most women don't really like them. They're hard to insert, and you have to place them right below your cervix or they won't work. A lot of women have problem with them leaking, too. The good think about instead cups is you wear them so high in your vagina, you can have sex with them in, safely. You can buy them at your local walmart, but again, they're hard to use.

I would recommend buying the keeper, the mooncup, or the diva cup. They're all menstrual cups which you can reuse (instead cups aren't reuseable) and they last for ten years. They're sort of pricey, about 30 dollars for one, but they're okay to use if you have a chronic yeast infection, and you can wear them up to 12 hours without changing them. I'd suggest going to your gyno first, and then looking into a menstrual cup product.

[This message has been edited by strand3d (edited 09-11-2003).]

Old 09-11-2003, 11:09 AM   #10
Inactive

SFangel HB User
Hi, strand3d and everybody else

Strand3d, thanks for the information on the different products. I will look for them the next time I go to Walmart or similar store.

I will talk to my gynecologist to find out if the chronic yeast infections could be responsible for the pain when I insert a tampon.

Could I have a tumor in the vagina that would make it painful for me to insert a tampon?

Thanks.

Old 09-11-2003, 12:19 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Blastoff9600 HB UserBlastoff9600 HB User
I am an Instead cup user and so far have had no problems. The two times it did leak was my own fault. The first time was I had just started using them and didnt get it in right,the second time I was in a hurry and didnt get it in right. I dont see them as hard to use to be honest. The friends and family that i have told about Instead cups seem to like them as well. No problems for them either.
I have been using them for about a year now. Another thing is I have a tilted urterus and cervix so it makes things interested at times. As the tilt has gotten worse over the past couple of years I had noticed tampons werent so comfortable any more. I knew when I was wearing one no matter what size. With the cups I dont seem to have to worry over the tilt. I dont feel the cup at all. You can also wear the Instead cup for up to 12 hours. Granted not reusable but still can be wore as long as the other cups mentioned.
Also Target and Wal-Greens carries the Instead cups. The Wal-mart in my area just started to carry them. So dont be surprised if yours doesnt carry them yet. The Instead cups are the only cups available at such stores. The other types as far as I have seen have to ordered online.
TTC #3 since 01/02

Old 09-11-2003, 02:25 PM   #12
Senior Veteran

PaNik5717 HB User
Hi, I would doubt there would be a cyst in yoru vagina, but that doesn't mean it isn't possible. It shouldn't be too tough (atfer your period, I guess) to feel around for one.

I have the same problem as the previous poster. My uterus is tipped way back and tampons have become very uncomforable for me - and they leak. I am planning on asking my doctor if she can recommend another brand since she can see and feel things better than me. Your doctor may already know if your uterus is tipped. You can ask at your next appointment. Go sooner if you are really concerned.

Old 09-13-2003, 11:12 PM   #13
Inactive

SFangel HB User
Hi, everybody

I wonder if the pain when I insert a tampon could be due to my having a tipped vagina and uterus. I will ask my gynecologist nect time I see her.

How can I tell if I have a tipped vagina or uterus? How do a normally oriented vagina and uterus feel as opposed to tilted ones?

Thanks.

[This message has been edited by SFangel (edited 09-14-2003).]

Old 09-14-2003, 08:52 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Blastoff9600 HB UserBlastoff9600 HB User
The vagina isnt tipped. It is the uterus and/ cervix that is tilted. The only sure way to know is to talk to your doctor. You can look up the more info on it.
I can say I had no clue until my dr mentioned it to me. Then I found out that a majority of the women in my family have it.
TTC #3 since 01/02

Closed Thread