It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2003, 05:21 PM   #1
(female)

amyleigh28 HB User
Question laser surgery for precancerous cervix

Was wondering if any one of you guys have had laser surgery for precancerous cells found on cervix. If so how bad was the surgery???? I had "abnormal cells" last year and had a colposcopy w/biopsy and ob said that did it. Had another pap smear in Janurary that was "clear". When I went back in July for yearly my pap came back with the precancerous cells. My other question is, I thought that cancer was slow moving on cervix so why did this get so bad in such a short time? (Jan to July)??? Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Amy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2003, 07:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

PaNik5717 HB User
Amy:

You are not alone. I hate to do this to you, but a lot of people have had similar questions and the variety of answers will astonish you. Look around for LEEP questions on this page in the last week or so and then go to the Cancer: Breast, Ovarian, and Cervical section and you will find a couple of huge threads with other women's experiences.

I think it is totally normal to go from normal to abnormal in a short time - that's why we have to go back every year. Cancer is still a ways away from "abnormal." According to my doc and a few other women here, it's also possible for it to clear up on it's own in about the same time. I would suggest that you talk to your doc about your concerns and follow his/her recommendations for follow-up to your abnormal pap. As you will see all over healthboards, taking care of your immune system by staying health otherwise cannot hurt you.

Let us know how it all turns out for you.

Nicole

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2003, 11:02 PM   #3
(female)

Willow Star HB User
Talking

Hi Amy,

A lot of things could affect the reading you would get from your pap. It could be that the area they scraped during the pap in January did not have any abnormal cells or it could be that the dysplasia (abnormal pre-cancerous cells) had regressed on its own which happens quite often with low grade dysplasia. Many times if someone has a reading of LGSIL (abnormal cells, mild dysplasia or CIN I - I think they are all the same thing) doctors will wait a few months to see if it goes away on its own. A lot of times it does clear up and sometimes it progresses to moderate dysplasia (CIN II) or severe dysplasia (CIN III or carcinoma in situ). That's why if you've ever had a test that came back with abnormal cells it is very important that you follow up with your paps on time as per your doctor.

I've done a lot of reading on this since I came back with CIN II (moderate pre-cancerous cells) after two paps and a colposcopy and learned that stress, not eating properly and not getting enough sleep can also contribute to making the dysplasia worse. Maybe one of these factors could have had an effect. Like Nicole above said, the "Cancer: Breast, Cervcial and Ovarian" board has a lot of info on this. You probably won't find much information on the laser treatment as it seems that most women get a LEEP but if you do have questions, please let me know as I had the laser treatment in early July.

I'm not sure if this really answered your question or helped at all but if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. I know how terrified I was when I went through all of this and it helps when you can ask questions of someone who has been through it.

Peace...
Willow

Old 08-04-2003, 08:18 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

PaNik5717 HB User
I really wasn't aware that the laser and the LEEP were all that different, but I guess they could be. My doc gave me info on both the LEEP and the LLETZ the day I was there. I believe his machine was actually called the LLETZ. He used an electrosurgical loop on me, but Is the laser surgery like these or is it more like the cryosurgery? My doc was comfortable doing either one, but there is nothing to send to the lab with the cryo.

If yours is more like cryo, there are probably women talking about it, too. On the LEEP sections, though, you will see a lot of women talking about the health of the cervix in general which will answer some of your questions.

Old 08-04-2003, 08:32 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

PaNik5717 HB User
I guess the laser is kind of somewhere in between the cryo and the LEEP/cone. [url="http://www.cancer.org/docroot/CRI/content/CRI_2_4_4X_Surgery_8.asp?sitearea="]http://www.cancer.org/docroot/CRI/content/CRI_2_4_4X_Surgery_8.asp?sitearea=[/url]

Old 08-04-2003, 10:43 AM   #6
(female)

Willow Star HB User
Hi,

I think that the laser is more similar to the cryo. With cryosurgery, they freeze the cells and you're right that there is nothing left to send to the lab. With the laser they use a laser beam to burn off the cells and again there is nothing left to test.

LEEP and LLETZ are the same thing, just different names for it and it uses an electrified wire loop to take out abnormal tissue which can then be biopsied. The type of treatment they use depends on how bad the dysplasia is and where it is located (at least that's what the doc told me when I asked him "why the laser rather than a LEEP").

I know when all this started for me I posted trying to find someone who had the laser treatment and found that it appears most women have a LEEP or cryo. I did get a lot of great info off the Cancer: Breast, Cervial and Ovarian board. It was nice to get all sorts of information from people who have been through it and it helped me a lot.

Peace...
Willow

Old 08-07-2003, 05:53 PM   #7
(female)

amyleigh28 HB User
thanks for all the replies. Getting really nervous as the time gets closer. Will let you know how it goes.

Amy

Old 08-07-2003, 07:06 PM   #8
(female)

Willow Star HB User
Amy,

You'll do just great...I know you will. I found having the biopsy done was worse than the laser. The only pain I felt was when they froze the cervix and it wasn't that bad. A sharp pinch for a second and the rest was a piece of cake. Just try to relax and I'm sure it will be over before you know it! Please do let us know how it goes and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. Good luck!

Willow

Old 08-09-2003, 11:57 AM   #9
(female)

amyleigh28 HB User
Just wondering??? I am going to have to put to sleep to have this done. Is that normal? A lot of the things that I have read on the net is that most of the Leep's and other procedures are done in the office. So why am I going to have to be put to sleep?? which really doesn't bother me cause i would rather not know what is going on!

amy

Old 08-09-2003, 04:11 PM   #10
Senior Veteran

PaNik5717 HB User
Hi Amy,

When is your procedure scheduled for? I have been following LEEPS since mine in May - still don't know a lot about the laser one except for the post above which kinda places it between LEEP and Cryo. It seems like every doc has their own style. Mine was done in the office without anything except the shot straight to the cervix. Other had anxiety pills or painkiller ahead of time. Others had IV's or even had it in the hospital. If you don't want to be put out, ask your doc if there is another way. I don't think I would mind, though. The preparation with the speculum and the vinegar was just like the colpo, but even more uncomfortable and a lot of women find the shot very painful.

You and your doc will know best. Keep asking questions and do your best to relax before and after.

Nik

Old 08-11-2003, 04:17 PM   #11
(female)

amyleigh28 HB User
Oh I definitely (sp?) want to be put to sleep! I don't want to know what is going on down there and how many people are down there!! LOL And I also used to work at this hospital so I might know some of the folks in the room and that would be most embarrassing. LOL
It is scheduled for 8/28 but may get moved up if I continue to hurt. Gyno told me that he may have to do lapro to find out why I am hurting in lower left abd.

[This message has been edited by amyleigh28 (edited 08-11-2003).]

Old 08-12-2003, 08:43 PM   #12

snowbug HB User
I had a LEEP in the early 90s for a grade 3 CIN. I definitely was more freaked out about it than I needed to be, probably because the doctor I had was kind of a jerk and I didn't feel very reassured by his manner. There was discomfort during the procedure but no major pain for me. I did have some spotting for a few days afterward. All of my pap smears have been good since then.

Hope everything goes well and please post to let us know how you are.

Old 09-17-2003, 11:02 AM   #13

sunrisegirl HB User
Hi everyone who has commented...Amy I hope you are ok now...I thought I would add a comment as I have literally just had laser surgery for CIN2 today....I have to say I found it easier than the colposcopy. It's ture that laser means they can't use the skin for a biopsy but that doesn't mean they can't do a biopsy first.
I basically had 10 little injections round the cervix which didn't hurt - they only hurt when they touch the sides. he cervix is not directly sensitive to pain like needles - it is sensitive to stretching and prodding and most importantly changes in temperature. The they did the laser and I was able to watch this on screen to see the process. Afterwards you might feel a bit strange but not in pain as such.

I go back in 2 weeks to see how I have healed. I really hope you are OK and good to hear stories about women who have had it and who have had normal smears since treatment...

Old 09-17-2003, 01:55 PM   #14
Inactive

jagdm27 HB User
Hi AmyLeigh. I just wanted to let you know that I had the same exact procedure done 6 years ago and all went very well. I was about 25 yrs.old and to be honest at the time I have never heard of such a thing. But with my gyno's wonderful advice and help, and I also asked alot of questions, I got through it no problem. And 6yrs. later I am still healthy and fine. Trust me it's not as bad as you think. It's natural to be afraid seeing as though it is surgery. Hang in there and keep us posted!

Closed Thread