It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2003, 09:35 PM   #1

MidnightSky HB User
Exclamation Period Pains

I am 17 years old and I have been getting my period since I was 10. I have never missed a time or anything and never miss 3 to 4 days of just horrid cramps. I have gotten physically sick to my stomach quite a few times and have missed at least a week of school every year because I am in so much pain. I take 4 ibuprofen and that just dulls the pain. My mother said she used to get severe cramps but got better as she got older... mine just seem to be getting worse. Does anyone have any advice?

Old 08-17-2003, 11:10 PM   #2
Inactive

mlgable HB User
You should talk to your doctor about this so the two of you can discuss treatment options for your severe cramps. Have your mother schedule a docs appointment for you and go in and discuss this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2003, 04:59 AM   #3

Tyger HB User
You could consider going on the Pill, which regulates your hormones so that you do not ovulate. No ovulation = no 'period' so to speak, instead you will get what is known as a 'withdrawl' bleed once a month.
Basically the same thing, but the big difference is that it is often lighter, shorter, and much less painful!

Talk to your doctor and/or mum to properly decide if this option is right for you. Other benefits are protection from pregnancy and sometimes clearer skin.
Other than that, there are many over-the-counter drugs specially prescribed for period pain, have they not helped?

Tyger.

Old 09-19-2003, 02:44 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

You should not be thinking about going on the BCP as such a young age. They have more side effects than not and there are lot more natural ways to 'balance out your hormones' so to speak.

At the age of 17 your periods will just be settling into a routine and it is at this time when pain could be worse. Also, the fact that your Mom suffered like this when she was young and it got better with age, should give you some hope. At 17, your hormones will be all over the place, but going on the BCP is not the answer.

There are lots of natural methods that could help, including lying down with heat pads on your back and your belly. Warmth will help relax the muscles and once the muscles relax the pain will get less. The fact that you have pain will make you tense up your muscles and if you tense up your muscles the pain will become worse.

Try some deep breathiing exercises too, to help yourself relax.

Also, there is a HOMEOPATHIC remedy called MAG PHOS that is very helpful for severe period pain with cramping. You can get these from any healthfood store and take them every ten minutes or so until the pain subsides.

Good luck

Closed Thread