It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2003, 09:16 PM   #1
(female)

Im_Robyn HB User
Post my sisters problem

My sister is 20 years old and is as far as i can tell she is healthy except for one thing. She has had her period non stop for the last year. She told me that during this time she has gone only a total of 2 weeks without with out bleeding. I told her that she needs to go to the doctor because this could be really serious but she refuses. Does anyone know what could be causeing this.

Old 08-21-2003, 10:48 PM   #2
Veteran

strand3d HB User
Is she on any kind of birth control? depo? the pill? sometimes that can cause bleeding, and if that's the case she needs to change brands ASAP. If she is not on birth control then she needs to go to the doctor ASAP and make sure there isn't anything seriously wrong. It's not normal to bleed that much.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2003, 11:30 PM   #3
Inactive

mlgable HB User
Regardless if she is on birth control or not she needs to see the doc as this constant bleeding can be a sign of something seriously wrong and it could also lead to anemia. Have her see the doc and get this checked out.

Old 08-22-2003, 09:18 AM   #4

Vlasik HB User
I agree with the previous poster that you need to get her to see a doctor. It is not normal to be bleeding like that. Something is going on and she needs to have it checked by a doctor. Too much bleeding can also cause anemia, so she really needs to have it checked.

Old 08-28-2003, 12:12 PM   #5
(female)

Im_Robyn HB User
She has never been on birth control of any kind. I have been telling her that she needs to see the doctor becuase it could be very serious but she is refuses, out of embaressment I guess. Would I be going to far if I made the appointment for her and took her without her knowing where I was taking her? Would that be wrong? I am just worried about her.
Thanks for you're input

Old 08-28-2003, 05:40 PM   #6
Inactive

mlgable HB User
I wouldn't make an appointment for her yet but it sure wouldn't hurt to tell her that if she doesn't make an appointment and get this checked out that you will call and make an appointment for her. She does not have to see anyone special as her regular doc can handle the preliminary testing. Is she due for her yearly pap/pelvic exam soon? If so then tell her to mention this to her doc when she has that done. If she will not be needing her next pap/pelvic for a couple months then do what you can to get her to see a doc.

Old 08-28-2003, 06:54 PM   #7
(female)

Im_Robyn HB User
mlgable thank you I really didnt think it would be right for me to make the a appointment for but I thought I would ask anyway. She has never had a pap smear. She would never go.

Old 08-29-2003, 10:01 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

PaNik5717 HB User
Hi Robyn,

Has your sister ever had gyn exam before? Does she have insurance? What is keeping her from the doctor?

If it's the actual exam, maybe you can get her on here and on a few other sites. There's a lot out there about what to expect from your first pelvic exam. Maybe something really simple is wrong with her and a fifteen minute visit to the doc could improve her quality of life. It could even save her life.

If your sister doesn't have insurance and can't pay, try to find her a clinic. I would make the appointment for her. My mom does it for our family all the time. Make it and tell her it is scheduled and talk to her about it. If it's a new doctor for her, ask the doctor if they have any booklets they can offer her to help her prepare.

I think it would be fun to make it special, too. Special toe nail polish or a sticker on her inner thigh, somethng to break the ice with the doctor. I got an e-mail once about a woman who mistakenly wore glitter to her appointment and it made the doctor laugh. I don't know if it was true or if glitter would interfere - I doubt it would since she wouldn't put it inside.

One more thing, many times the PCP can do the pelvic. I know mine does. If she has a doctor she is comfortable with, ask if they would see her for her current problem.

Just a few thoughts.

Old 09-19-2003, 08:16 AM   #9
Senior Veteran

PaNik5717 HB User
You know, I also read that this week is take a family member to the doctor week...Maybe it's not as bad as other posters said it would be.

Are you still around? Is your sister doing any better? My new doc put me on tons of hormones. After a week and a half, the bleeding stopped so I was supposed to slowly taper off to only one bcp pill a day. As soon as I got down to one, the bleeding came back with a vengeance. It is slightly heaver and I notice the pain more now. I convinced her to see me again next week so we can talk about surgery to treat and/or diagnose the problem.

Let us know how your sis is doing.

Closed Thread