It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2003, 05:51 PM   #1
(female)

knockemdead HB User
Post Tampons or Pads?

I have been using pads ever since I started my period..and that was about 4 years ago. I just don't like the idea of having something stuck up in *there* for a long period of time. But then again, I have heard great things about tampons, and am thinking about making the switch. Can you really feel them up in there??

Which do you ladies prefer and why?

Old 08-05-2003, 07:23 PM   #2
Inactive

DanaJ HB User
If you can feel them when they are in you, they are NOT in properly.

Personally I used pads in teh beginning, way back when, and I'll never ever wear them again, for as long as I live. I rather die than use such a product.

I say give tampons a shot. You might like them. You can't even tell they are in. There are also other products, such as Instead Cups.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2003, 07:26 PM   #3
(female)

tpopescu HB User
I agree with Dana, I used pads at first but in my late teens started using tampons and now there is no way I could go back to pads. If they are in properly you really don't feel them. Good luck.

Old 08-05-2003, 07:40 PM   #4

CarleesMom HB User
When I first started I was using pads (back 15 years ago when I was 11!) I made the switch when I was about 14 and I will never go back to a pad! If the tampon is in the right way you can not even tell it is there! They work great even over night!

Old 08-05-2003, 07:56 PM   #5
Inactive

DanaJ HB User
What a great way to learn about your period, through pads huh? Sheesh. They never stayed in place, and every pair of underwear I had was stained, then my pants etc would stain. How embarassing. ALso I also got irritated and chafe from the edges and just from the damn thing constantly shifting out of place. It's like wearing a diaper, only an unsufficient one that no one would ever make their baby wear lol.

Anyway, more and more options/alternatives are coming out. I'd really try tampons, then explore other options down the line if need be it.

Old 08-05-2003, 09:23 PM   #6
(female)

Switch96 HB UserSwitch96 HB UserSwitch96 HB UserSwitch96 HB User
Hello,

I recommend using tampons all of the time. Quite frankly, I myself regret not using them sooner. I started menstruating when i was 10, and only a 3 months before my 15th birthday did I start using tampons. If you insert them properly, you won't feel a thing and they won't leak either. As soon as you come to trust them, you'll be in padless paradise! And it'll be great!

When you feel that you are ready to use them, go right ahead. You may not succeed at your first try, but when you do, having your period will almost never leave you wearing those bulky pads.

Take care,

------------------
Maria

Old 08-05-2003, 10:03 PM   #7

Tyger HB User
Hi there!
I think most girls start out with pads -- I did.
I started using tampons about 3 years ago (I'm 19 now) as I'm rather active and like swimming etc.
They're fantastic compared to pads! You can wear a thin thin liner if you're concerned about leakage, but I've never had a problem.

There is nothing 'bad' about having a tampon in you, just change it every few hours (no longer than 8) and wash hands before and after changing it. You'll be fine!
I use a combination of pads and tampons - pads at night. You shouldn't really leave a tampon in the whole night, its not recommended anyway for the risk of Toxic Shock Syndrome.

Tyger.

Old 08-06-2003, 03:57 AM   #8

deliciousmess HB User
When I wasn't on the pill, and my periods were quite heavy, tampons were a lifesaver - they were much more comfortable and convenient. The only thing I didn't like was getting blood on my finger when I used them, because I don't use the type with applicators.

But now I'm on the pill, my periods are quite light, and I find that I'm mostly too dry to wear a tampon, and they hurt to use most of the time coz my flow is too light. I just use pads now, and I just use small ones, and to be honest I hardly even notice them.

So the point of this reply is, I think if you have a light period, then I wouldn't worry about tampons because they'd be more trouble than they're worth. But if you have a regular or heavy period then they'll prolly be really helpful! Just don't give up after the first time if you can't use them - if you just keep using them you'll get the hang of them pretty quickly.

Old 08-06-2003, 08:54 AM   #9

rubydolphin79 HB User
I started my period when I was 11. I didn't figure out how to use tampons for another couple of years after that. Once I did Whoa! What a great invention. I think pads feel like your sitting on a mattress all of the time. Plus you can go swimming when you use them, and there is no bulkey pad all of the time. I do think you should alternate between tampons & pads though, just for the TSS risk tampons can have. I know it is rare, but you don't want to take a chance! Good luck! Don't give up if you don't get it in on the first try, takes a little practice!

Old 08-06-2003, 09:03 AM   #10

GoodnightElisabeth HB User
By far the best invention. Enough said.

Old 08-06-2003, 09:17 AM   #11
Inactive

Shel1974 HB User
Try using Tamax light days for when your flow is light. I end up using those most of my period. And then I use regulars the rest of the time. The box says to choose the smallest tampon possible for your flow to avoid TSS.

GOOD LUCK!!

Old 08-06-2003, 10:29 AM   #12
(female)

Kimberley~ HB User
I have a question about these tampons?

I tried them for the first time last period I had. Mine is pretty short only 3 days so never even thought about tampons. But i wanted to try them out so i got some and put it in and didnt feel it..........thought about it the whole time it was in whether it was leaking or was it in right.........and then after about an hour it had shifted. I think my thinking about it constantly squeezing (kegal type stuff) it had pushed it down or something. Or maybe i never got it in right in the first place. Do they ever shift out of place or am I just nuts?
And is there a limit to how far you should push it in??? or just can you push till it won't go any further in?
thanks

Old 08-06-2003, 12:17 PM   #13
Inactive

Shel1974 HB User
I don't think mine has ever shifted. Push it up until you can't see the base any more. There should be a good amount of string left hanging to pull out with.

Old 08-06-2003, 02:18 PM   #14
(female)

knockemdead HB User
Wow!! Thanks for all the replies everyone! I think I'm gonna try tampons when my next period comes.

Thanks again..so much!!

Much love <3.

Old 08-08-2003, 12:41 AM   #15

yoga1st HB User
a word of advice on those instead cups, practice taking them out at home before you try it in public,
i am a very heavy bleeder since i've had kids ~4~ and i tried those cups they go right into place no problem,you can't feel them , you can even have sex while wearing them ~ althou i didn't~ but when i tried to take it out~~~~thank god i was at home~~~~ and sorry for TMI but i had it spilled out all over my hands before i got it all the way out , blood all over the floor all over my pants,,, it was a ~bloody~ mess
i haven't used them again
yoga

Closed Thread