It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2003, 01:41 PM   #1
Veteran

Anonymity HB User
Red face Comfortable Bras, etc. For Large/Odd Sizes?? Please Help!!

At first you may be inclined to say that finding a well-fitting bra is not a health issue or problem. When you consider, however, that the bra you wear can affect your posture, back pain, breast tenderness, exercise accessibility, and self esteem, it becomes clear that finding the right bra is an important women's health issue.

That said, I NEED HELP!!! I have been odd and/or large sized my whole life, and I can't think of a bra that I've ever had that's truly fit correctly. Depending on my weight, my bra size has ranged from a 34D to a 38DD. Even so, my breasts are quite a bit out of proportion (too large) with the rest of my body. I can't find a comfortable bra, and swimwear is a joke!! Now, my wedding is coming up, and I'm going to have to look for special occasion underwear, too!

I would like to know what brands/styles/stores others have tried and liked. Even if you're on the small side, a brand that works for you could be helpful for me. So:

What brand(s) work for you? Have you found success with Bali, Platex, etc??

Has anyone found a store with knowledgable associates who will actually FIT you for a bra?
(Department stores say they do, but their clerks have no experience, don't listen to what the customer wants, and seem to enjoy embarrassing their customers.)

Do you buy through a mail-order catalog??

Are you addicted to Victoria's Secret or an online underwear shop??

What about special occasion underwear, like strapless bras and comfortable foundations??

Do you have a favorite sports bra? I can never find one that is supportive and comfortable!!

Please help!! (Thanks for listening to the rant, ladies! )

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2003, 04:00 PM   #2

gem2000 HB User
Hi there. I also have large breasts, 32F! I am 5'5 120 pounds but I actually quite like mine. I have always worn good bras and they kind of grew into them nicely. My favorite everyday bra I buy in a specialty store. It is called Van Elle (the bra). It actually looks quite dressy with the crossing in the front and is very supportive and comfortable and gives a sleek look under clothing. A great company in England that also sells online is Bravissimo (do a search). They have beautiful bras, swimwear, and even strappy tops and halter tops with built in bras. They sell especially for larger size busts but the backsize goes down to a 30. It is the only company of its kind that I know of. They will send you a catalogue or you can shop online. Hope this helps! Be proud of your boobies!

[This message has been edited by gem2000 (edited 01-03-2003).]

Old 01-03-2003, 07:45 PM   #3
Veteran

Anonymity HB User
Smile

What is the name of the specialty store, if I might ask?? Maybe there is one (or one like it) near me... Thanks!!

Old 01-03-2003, 08:43 PM   #4

gem2000 HB User
Hi, the store is in Victoria B.C. actually (Canada) and is called Dawn's Boutique. It is not a chain but they might be able to ship. Do look at the selection from Bravissimo also because they have some really beautiful stuff.

Old 01-06-2003, 03:34 PM   #5
Veteran

Anonymity HB User
I will check Bravissimo out!! THANKS!!

If you think of anywhere else.. let me know!!

[This message has been edited by Anonymity (edited 01-06-2003).]

Old 02-28-2003, 02:19 PM   #6

CARE3 HB User
I know what you are talking about. I have been a 36D since I was in sixth grade, I am now 30. At 1 time I wore a 40G when I was pregenat. My mom ordered my bras from JC Pennys. They don't always display the bigger sizes in the store, but you can order if you find one that might look comfortable.
There is also a place that will fit you and have them specialy made, but I'm not sure if it is just a locally owned place or if it is all over. It is called The Bust Stop. You might try the internet to see if they might have a web sight.
The most comfy bra I have came from Wal-Mart. It is Platex and is like a thick tee shirt material. I prefer underwire.
I did go to Vict. Secret to get a one piece body bra when I got married. I picked out a dress that I could wear a bra with.
Those are about the only places I have tryed and would also like to know where I could find a sexy yet comfy bra.

Old 02-28-2003, 02:30 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Aimee8396 HB User
The best bras I've ever worn came from a Maternity store. The clerks knew how to measure, and they have some very pretty bras. They're not all nursing bras. Look into it!

Old 02-28-2003, 04:22 PM   #8
(female)

ILuvPurple HB User
The only kind I can get by with is Playtex 18 hour with the stretch straps.I`ve tried so many and just wasted my money. I`m a 42C,Do they make pretty bras that are supportive and comfortable? I envy the women who can buy those pretty ones from lingerie stores!(sigh)

Old 03-01-2003, 12:54 AM   #9
Inactive

mlgable HB User
You need to go see a professional bra fitter to find out what your correct size is and what bra will work best for you. Most larger stores have this service or offer clinics at various times of the year. This will help tremendously.

Old 03-01-2003, 04:05 PM   #10
Inactive

Merrida HB User
I hear ya, I'm in the same boat. I cannot wear underwires either because they physically cause me pain. Soft wire or hard wire either way, they hurt me. A lot of bras "lift and separate" -- the larger sizes -- yah well that's not what I need! I need one that smooshes 'em together. I've got one that goes under my arm pit and another falling south. Separating them is the last thing I need or want to do.

I'm more comfortable not wearing one if it comes down to that, so I end wearing snug gym clothes, like lycra workout tank tops that just compress everything inward.

I'm short, about 5'1" or so and about 120lbs, and I've never found a bra that fits me. I've worn anywhere between a 34C and a 38DD if you can believe that... that much of a difference, but I've tried everything trying to just find that one magic bra that supports, feels comfortable, doesn't cut into me, dig into my shoulders, or scratch my breasts and skin (as a lot of them do). They bind, they dig, they pucker.

My neck hurts, my posture is not the best, when I have my periods they feel especially heavy. I worry about tissues tearing internally.

Being petite and out of proportion makes finding bras difficult. And I agree, it is a health issue because this affects our posture, our development, our ability to participate in various activities, it affects our self esteem, physical health, skin, and there have been reports linking bra-wearing to breast cancer (although I don't know what manifested from those reports).

I'm also asymetrical, so one is larger than the other. Combine that with the way they're sort of uhm,...growing in different directions,... makes it hard.

Someone suggested getting one custom made (and I know this can be done in some specialty stores... a store in my "hometown" -- don't live there now -- used to make specialty custom-made bras for nursing mothers, women who've had lumpectomies or mastectomies,... or if they were looking for something in particular,... easy to adjust for arthritic hands, etc., etc.).

The name of that store was Gazebo, but I don't know if they're still in business. They made a lot of custom-designed womens' intimates.

Add my curious inquiry to the list when it comes to asking about bras. I agree it's a health issue for women. Thank you for posting this inquiry.

Old 03-04-2003, 10:05 PM   #11
Inactive

ds4832 HB User
go to a store near you that specializes in mastectomy products/bras. they can give you an accurate measurement and can suggest the best places in your area to purchase a bra.

Old 03-14-2003, 10:31 PM   #12
Veteran

Citykittie HB User
I still have problems with the bras. But at night I find wearing a tube top under my pajamas really helps. I am able to snuggle up on the couch and watch tv without them feeling big and unsuported but also not feeling like wires and straps are bugging me.

I found tube tops at Walmart last year for 1.00 each. They were near the workout stuff.

Old 09-14-2003, 07:26 PM   #13

cb714 HB User
Question

I am a 21 year old Eco-tourism and Adventure Travel student and I have a very hard time finding bras that are afordable. I just recently paid over $80.00 for a bra!!!! I get so discouraged when I see a bra in an add for $9.99, but ofcourse they don't come in 32F! I also have a hard time finding bras that make me feel like a 21 year old. I know that sexyness is not the most important thing, but everyone has the right to feel sexy sometimes!!! I have two jobs and have been on my own for three years so an $80.00 bra is not in my budget. If you know of a place that has what I need... please help because every girl needs more than two bras that FIT! Thank you.

Old 09-23-2003, 01:54 AM   #14
(female)

happydwarf78 HB User
I wear a 36D.. not huge by any means, but bigger than normal. I have two bras that I got from Sears that are very pretty and lacy and were only 15$ and very supportive. Not terribly comfy, but they do what I need them to do..

My favs come from Victoria's Secret. I LOVE the body by Victoria line. They're soft and comfortable, but very supportive. I even bought a convertable bra from that line so now I can wear strapless and halters and it /still keeps everything in place/. (And for the record, I may only be 24, but things are *not* perky and firm ).

~Christie

Old 09-23-2003, 12:18 PM   #15

Tigrazhia HB User
I've also had this problem all my life, always been a D or DD.

I love the bras from "Just My Size" ... they have some really comfortable bras in big sizes, and they carry them at Wal Mart, but you can also shop online for them, just do a search.

I like this thread, I"m going to check out some of the other suggestions mentioned above :-)

Closed Thread