It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2003, 07:37 AM   #1

open2adive HB User
Question Possible Hormonal Imbalance

Hello, I'm new here.

After having my 1st child almost 2yrs ago, I thought I was experiencing Postpartum Depression. Since the day I came home from the hospital, everything about me has changed (pesonality, attitude, doing things I like, etc). Also before I gave birth I got married after only knowing my husband for less than a year.

I knew something was wrong with me, but negelected to get help. I saw a counselor thru my job earlier this year... Until yesterday 8/27/03 I went to the doctor thinking I was pregnant. But not, doc says may be an hormonal imbalance, which I'm sure it is. I took the free quiz thru this website last night to find out I have a severe case of hormonal imbalance. My doc did a biopsy yesterday. So until I get the results and talk further w/my doctor, what approach can I take to begin the healing process???? As per the results of the quiz i took, it stated I'm too severe of natural medicine..... Also, my husband is not and has not been understanding to what I've been going thru....
Any helpful/spiritual advice is very very much apprciated....

Concerned 1st time mom & wife!!!!!

Old 08-28-2003, 01:06 PM   #2

Djin HB User
Hey there. I know how frustrating it is to post a question and get no responses, though you can see how many times it's been viewed.

I'm sorry, but I don't have an answer for you. Since this is related to post-partum depression, perhaps you could post your question in the Pregnancy thread as well? Maybe you can find some women there with similar issues.

Good luck, and I hope you get some answers!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2003, 05:17 PM   #3
(female)

ww23river HB User
hi, i know what depression feels like...and it's awful...I really feel for u...but i don't think you're too severe for natural medicine...i have a bad hormonal imbalance and i went to a naturopath and he prescribed me homopathy medicine...please go and see a naturopath and see what he/she has to say...

Old 08-28-2003, 06:55 PM   #4
Veteran

DenverGal HB User
Did the doctor draw some blood? He should be able to tell what is going on with your hormones if he did. Until you know what the imbalance is, it is hard for us to tell you how to treat it. He may be able to put you on a birth control pill to help. There are also lots of natural remedies you can try. Some help with estrogen, some with progesterone, but you need to find out what is wrong before we can give you advise.

As for waiting too long, that is not a big deal. You can get your hormones back in order. Just b/c you waited a long time doesn't mean that you won't be able to fix it.

Talk with your doctor and find out exactly what the deal is. Then let us know what he says and how he wants to treat it.

Not trying to be harsh and I know you really want an answer (as per your other post ) but you've waited a long time to get this treated, so what's the urgency all of a sudden? You've taken the first step towards getting treatment, and I'll bet that before you know it you'll feel a lot better.

Old 08-29-2003, 08:10 AM   #5

open2adive HB User
Thx for the responses, didn't mean to sound to forward.... it's just finally i'm almost there in finding out what's totally wrong with me. My doctor did a biopsy 8/27 so i'm waiting for the results from that...... Yes it's very aggravating, and my husband doesn't help w/ the way he talks to me sometimes.... But until I talk w/ my doctor further..... Maybe I can come back with a more sensible / direct question.... I guess I asked the question wrong.... I just wanted to get an understanding of the different levels and possibly chat w/someone who has went thru similar situation...

Thx
tired of being down then up.....

Old 08-29-2003, 11:42 AM   #6
Veteran

DenverGal HB User
Yeah, I know it's frustrating when you don't feel well, especially when others (men) don't understand. Hang in there. There are a lot of really supportive people here who have been through lots of different things. Hopefully you will be back to your old self in no time. Keep us posted on what's going on and how you are feeling.

Old 08-29-2003, 04:33 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User
Get your thyroid checked too http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/bang.gif

Old 09-25-2003, 06:13 AM   #8

open2adive HB User
Hello, I'm back..... Well the biopsy I had came back showing my progrestrone level is very low. Doctor prescribed me ovcon birh control pills....

I'm scheduled for an ultrasound next week.. I've been having abdominal discomfort. Thought I was pregnant, but 3 tests at different times shows negative.. The odd thing is somedays I feel pregnant. I have gained back some weight, but I still don't eat all that much....

Thru research it could be a few things contributing to the abdominal pain.....

Has anyone experenced this.....

Thx for all the responses.....

Old 09-25-2003, 06:59 AM   #9
Inactive

girlygirly HB User
As niecsey said get your thyroid checked. Depression and weight gain are a couple of the symptoms. Many times thyroid problems develop it is during pregnancy because your hormones are out of whack, so your doctor has the hormone part right. Ask for a thyroid panel with a Free T3 & Free T4 and an antibodies test. It might a good idea to go onto the thyroid board to see if you have any of the other symptoms. Good Luck to you.

Old 09-25-2003, 07:57 AM   #10

LinseyM HB User
Hi, sorry for your troubles, I know first hand how frustrating it can be.

First of all, your progesterone may be low, but that may not be all. Make sure your Dr. does as many tests out there...and if he won't, go somewhere else. I am finally getting help from a great doctor and when I went to have my blood drawn, they drew 9 viles. FINALLY, some answers are coming up. It showed my progesterone was good, but 2 other hormones were sky high. (like double the normal range) I have been experiencing depression for 6 years and no one had ever done these tests on me! i also have gained weight and experience adult acne...and it all stems from these hormones coming up high. Make sure he also checks your thyroid as mentioned above and check your insulin and sugar levels. Sounds crazy, but an imbalance in your insulin and sugar can lead to a hormonal imbalance. That is where I am at, and I have been diagnosed with PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome). You may want to do a search on it on the internet and see if you have some of the symptoms. If you do, print it out and take it to your Doctor. It is something many doctors overlook. Take care of yourself and keep us updated.

Old 09-25-2003, 10:36 AM   #11

open2adive HB User
Smile

Thx Ladies, it's wonderful to know that I'm not alone.... Being 29 and going thur these changes all of a sudden, I wanted to talk w/ other women who experienced something the same or similar. That u mention pcos. I've been experiencing abdominal & back pain for the past couple days. I'm scheduled for an ultasound nxt week. Right now I've been dealing w/ my ob/gyn... I think I need to see my Primary for further examinations, ha???? All of u are very supportive, and God Bless You All!!!!!!!

I will definately keep u posted on my progress... It's good to know that people u don't know personally, cares.....

Especially when my husband of 2yrs can't really see what I'm going thru. and when I try to explain, it's like he doesn't care to understand..... But I have to get better for My Son. I don't feel I'm good for him right now, althought I do my best, and deal with him by myself on a daily basis.....

Sorry for getting off the subject....

But Thx a Million!!!!!!!

Old 09-25-2003, 03:05 PM   #12
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

If you are into alternative medicine, then there is a HOMEOPATHIC remedy called SEPIA that is extremely good for hormonal imbalances and is extremely good for depression after giving birth and everything that you have described. Sometime one dose of this remedy could be all that you need to help you get back to normal.

Good luck

Closed Thread