It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2003, 03:42 PM   #1

22F HB User
Unhappy Alot of bacteria in Vagina bv ?

I've been fighting my latest Bv for about 4months now. I recently went to 2 doctors 1 said I had discharge from either my cervix or my uterus I forget which 1..She said it wasnt bv so i asked her is the discharge isnt normal right? she said it wasnt she said its the type of discharge found for clymedia (spelt wrong, i know) or ghonnerah.. that was saturday...so i got test for that done ( i really dont think i have either b/c i had that done a yr ago and i havent had sex with any1 other than my husband) they said the results would be back on wed so i called tuesday hopeing the results would be in and the girl said 2-3weeks! grr they told me wed! so i said forget it ill just try another doctor..so i went yesterday and she said i have ALOT of bacteria so she did a culture and it will be back in a few days..grr (im so tired of a few days) so she asked me if i wanted her to prescibe something until the culture comes back..i said what the hell..ive been on metrogel? twice and gynazole1 for the yeast i got from the metrogel so whats 1 more prescription she gave me ampicillin 500mg caps 4 a day.. 1 every 6 hrs...Ive taken 3 pills so far. so we shall see how that goes.Atleast its something different other than metrogel..Its so strange how 1 doctor can say u have no sign of a bacterial infection and the other says u have a WHOLE LOT of bacterial..grr I wish they'd figure it out. has anyone taken ampicillin? Sorry its so long..what are your thoughts?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2003, 11:09 AM   #2
Inactive

mlgable HB User
The cultures of your discharge take from about 48 hours to be fully accurate. It is the same as when they culture a urine sample. They have to wait to see what bacteria grows out of it. The Chlymadia test takes a bit longer. It is not always easy to SEE a bacterial infection or a problem which is why the needs to do a culture to be sure if there is or isn't an infection. Remember many infections have similar symptoms and some have few symptoms so without a culture the doc really doesn't know for sure if and what infection you have. The second poster who said one doc say BV and the other says yeast needs to ask to see a copy of the culture results so that you know for sure which doc has the right diagnosis. Treatment is dependent on what the bacteria grows out of the culture as some treatments can cause other infections so proper treatment is important. To the post on the antibiotic you need to be sure to eat plenty of yogurt with live active cultures or take acidophillis capsules to help prevent a secondary yeast infection from the antibitotics. All women should really be doing th acidophillis routinely anyway to help prevent yeast infections.

Old 09-29-2003, 03:23 PM   #3
(female)

PetiteBliss HB User
For me, I've battled with BV for years as well. Luckily, for the past 2 months, I have had no symptoms of it... I will be doing a post shortly to update those that are still suffering. Just to hopefully shed a bit of light at the end of the tunnell.

However, each time I thought had BV and went to see a dr., they always did a culture right there in the office. He/she would take a sample and look at it under the microscope and let me know if it is or isn't BV. Of course it was each time and I knew it anyway before I went. I'm not sure why they are unable to do the same for you. Often times, they can do a whiff test (where they test the sample with some sort of solution (I belive a hydrogen peroxide solution) and it emits a foul odor which confirms BV). This is something that they are supposed to be able to do for you on the spot--I would think. If they are testing for STD's or something a bit more serious then sending it off to a lab is warrented. Believe me, its a struggle and there are no real answers or cures. The most I hear is, some women get it and some women don't. I feel for you and anyone else who is going through this. Good luck. You may want to do a search on this forum for BV or Bacterial Vaginosis. You'll find a lot of information and lots of remedies that some people try to battle theirs. Again, I wish you luck.

------------------
PetiteBliss

Old 09-29-2003, 05:47 PM   #4

tea tree HB User
Lightbulb

The following is from [url="http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/bacvgnss.html"]http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/bacvgnss.html[/url]

Hydrogen peroxide treatment for BV

1. Take an additional 1000 mg of vitamin C (in addition to your prenatal) per day during the course of your treatment and 500mg a day for the week following your treatment. Also increase your water or clear fluid intake, and really pay attention to your diet, emphasizing whole foods, with lots of fresh vegetables. If you have a persistent case we may have you take Echinacea internally as well.

2. Hydrogen peroxide vaginal wash: Fill a 30-cc syringe (without the needle) with hydrogen peroxide, insert just the tip of the syringe in your vagina, about an inch with your hips elevated and very gently push the fluid in. Let it sit for three minutes then sit up and let it drain out.

I know this sounds scary, but I was at a point where I would try anything. Worked for me!!! And it won't cause a yeast infection like antibiotics can.

Old 09-30-2003, 10:13 AM   #5
(female)

texmiss32 HB User
I've been looking into the hydrogen peroxide treatment but I have some questions before I try it. FINALLY someone has posted that has actually tried it and knows if it works!

Did you dilute the hydrogen peroxide with water? Also, where did you get the 30cc syringe? Can you buy them over the counter or do you need a prescription?

Thanks!

Closed Thread