It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2003, 05:43 AM   #1

luvmyboys HB User
Post hot flashes - too young - how do they feel?

I was wondering if anyone has hot flashes at the age of 34. I have been having them for about 4 years I think. The only thing is when I get one I feel sweaty, hot face feels beat red and I feel like I'm going to pass out and throw up. Is this a hot flash or something else? Doctors say I'm too young and give me xanax. I still get them and they are always the second half of my cycle the closer I get to my period and night sweats start the week before my period and during my period. Any help?

Old 09-29-2003, 08:34 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Blastoff9600 HB UserBlastoff9600 HB User
Actually you arent too young for hot flashes. First I suggest you try to find another doctor. With the new doctor explain what is going on and ask to get your hormone levels tested.
Second it does sound like hot flashes. I get them but that is due to meds I am on so I have to deal with them to get the end result I want--pregnancy. Not fun to be 28 almost 29 and have hot flashes day and night.
But again find another doctor who will listen to you and be more understanding of your concerns.
TTC #3 since 01/02

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2003, 10:00 AM   #3
Inactive

mlgable HB User
You are definately not to young for hot flashes. Follow blastoffs advice and find a doc who will check you out thoroughly. You could well be starting perimenopause or have some other problem. Xanax is a coverup and not a solution nor a diagnosis for your problem. Find a doc who will work with you on this and give you a proper diagnsosis.

Old 09-29-2003, 10:20 AM   #4

luvmyboys HB User
But is it normal for them to be accompanied by nausea and feeling like passing out. My vision actually went tunnel like for about 2 seconds the other day. Is that normal? Just wondering. My mom didn't remember and never really paid attention to stuff like that and my husband's mother didn't either. My mom was done with her periods before she was 50 years old. She's 55 now. My grandma had to have a hysetectomy at age 45 due to so many bleeding problems. I have had uterine ablation done to combat the bleeding, but that doesn't do anything for the hormone levels of course. Thanks for any advice. I see the doctor who did the ablation for a 6 month check the 16th of October. I will ask him then.

Old 09-29-2003, 12:05 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Blastoff9600 HB UserBlastoff9600 HB User
Hot flashes effect each woman differently. I have had some that I had nausea with but not all. Ihave had some where I felt faint and I have some with both problems. It varies and I can never tell before hand what will occur during a hot flash. But like I said mine are a side effect from meds.
You can look up info about them and see what other things can accompany a hot flash. I wouldnt be surprised int he least if whatyou have with yours is very common.
TTC #3 since 01/02

Old 09-30-2003, 07:45 PM   #6
Veteran

DenverGal HB User
Is it possible that it could be a panic attack? Maybe read up on this b/c although they are called panic attacks the symptoms are usually physical. Just a thought.

BTW - I agree that it could be hot flashes. I'm 37 and have night sweats so bad most nights I don't sleep.

You do need to get to a good doctor who will get to the bottom of this. He sounds like one of those doctors who prescribe "mama's little helper" to any woman who complains. Jerk.

Old 09-30-2003, 08:50 PM   #7

LinseyM HB User
You are never too young for a good ole flashback. I get them a lot and the go along with my cycle. I would keep a journal of when you have them, day of the month, day of your cycle, type of day you are having, etc. You may find some similarities. Then perhaps take that to your dr. and see what they say then. I get them all the time, but I am ttc and I take hormones and such. Hope this helps.

Old 10-01-2003, 06:13 AM   #8

LinseyM HB User
Oops...didn't mean flashback, I meant hot flash...hee hee...my mistake. I really don't have flashbacks!

Old 10-01-2003, 08:27 AM   #9

paschn4life HB User
If you're experiencing the hot flashes and night sweats more in the 2nd half of your cycle, it sounds like it's related to the estrogen spike we get when we ovulate. Read the book "What Your Doctor May Not Tell you about Premenopause: Balance Your Hormones and Your Life from Thirty to Fifty". The book taught me alot about the hormonal changes I've been experiencing and what I can do to reduce the symptoms. What I learned is that when we ovulate, our estrogen spikes and we need to balance it with progesterone, and NOT the synthetic kind made from horse-pee that doctors prescribe. There's just too many health risks with that. I've been using a natural progesterone cream during the 2nd half of my cycle for the last year and it has helped immensely.

Like Blastoff said, you aren't too young for hot flashes. They come at different times for all of us. And I agree with DenverGal that you need to find a doctor who will get to the bottom of the REAL issue rather than just prescribing a bandaid-drug.

Old 10-01-2003, 09:52 AM   #10

luvmyboys HB User
You are all right. I do need to get to the bottom of it, and I am going to try and get him to run the hormone blood tests. They haven't been balanced since I had my kids 5 and 8 years ago.

It also could have been a panic attack although I've never really had one quite like that, I do get them. It has been a stressful two weeks because my 5 year old was sick for two days last week and of course I was a little afraid I was going to get it and was not straying too far from home. Anyway he seemed to get better so we went to my grandparents and I was nervous and it's always hot in their house. It was the first time I had left the house since he was sick on Wednesday so I was a little scared. I think I have a phobia of sickness. So, I stuck it out and didn't feel good the whole next day, but woke up Monday and felt good. Then yesterday, they called me from school and said my son had thrown up. So, I went and got him and figured I better take him to the doctor since he was sick last week and either is sick again or still sick with the same thing. She said he had rotavirus. I told her he didn't have any diahrrea, but had room clearing passing of gas. Then when we got home he started the really bad smelling diahrrea characteristic of the virus. Isn't it just like kids to prove you wrong! Anyway, now he is still home sick and very lethargic and weak. I am exhausted. Meanwhile, no one else is sick yet. Hope we don't get it either especially my other child.

So getting back to the panic thing, it could have a lot to do with it. I was tired and not eating well either. I have IBS and gastritis too so the least little stress can flare these up and when they're both flared up, I'm panicky and miserable.

Thanks for all your help!

Old 10-02-2003, 09:00 AM   #11

Cordy HB User
I have been getting hot flashes at age 23! It is because of hormonal imbalances.

Closed Thread